The Honda PCX / Honda Forza / SH Forums

Your predominant source of information for the Honda PCX 125, Honda PCX ESP, Honda PCX 150, and Forza. Now featuring a SH300i / SH150i subforum!
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:55 am 
Offline
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 155
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue
In the U.S. they're called "marker lights" and they mark the sides of a vehicle, be it a car, truck, or motorcycle.

Scooters and motorcycles (which is a "scooter" above 50cc -or- able to exceed 30 MPH under ideal conditions) is required to have a "daytime running light" (namely the headlight) illuminated so other drivers notice the motorized cycle. As so many automobile drivers mistake scooters and motorcycles for bicycles, the headlight is supposed to draw their attention to the vehicle so they observe the rate of travel and don't pull out in front of it, or do something else without thinking first and cause an unnecessary incident.

Bicyclists, noting that automobile drivers disregard them, have also put lights on their bikes, in hopes auto drivers will "see them" and avoid causing injuries. The response by auto drivers is to ignore both bicycles and scooters/motorcycles and continue causing "accidents."

Authorities therefore require marker likes on motorized vehicles to differentiate them from bicycles. In addition, were the headlight to fail, the marker lights would still be illuminated, and in theory the auto driver able to "see" the scooter/motorcycle.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:26 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:55 am
Posts: 17
Location: Spain
Year: 2014
Color: white
do you think is possible to take off orange cover from this blinker lights ?
i have seen someone who did it, so blinker is clear, and with bulbs with 2 colurs, you can have more white light in normal position, and orange blinker when you need


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:15 pm 
Offline
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 155
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue
There's only one socket in the stock bulb housing, and the reflector is set to reflect from a particular bulb. If you change the bulb setup it will be similar to seeing a curvy, sexy gal in a fun-house mirror, then she moves and the curves are in the wrong places... In this case the light won't be reflected correctly and would be dull & dim, despite having bright bulbs. You'd need different light housings designed to do that.

http://what-when-how.com/automobile/hea ... utomobile/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:15 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:20 pm
Posts: 256
Location: Watsonville, CA
Year: 2013
Color: black
leoper wrote:
do you think is possible to take off orange cover from this blinker lights ?
i have seen someone who did it, so blinker is clear, and with bulbs with 2 colurs, you can have more white light in normal position, and orange blinker when you need


The orange lense can be removed, but you have to dismantle the headlight. Then you could replace the halogen bulb with a two color LED bulb. I'm guessing that your scoot uses 1157 bulbs, which are two filament. The hard part is finding a bright enough LED bulb. Our PCX in the USA use single filament bulbs.


Gil

_________________
ImageImage
    2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 12g Roller weights
    IRC tires, LED driving lights, Besten trunk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:18 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:55 am
Posts: 17
Location: Spain
Year: 2014
Color: white
Gil wrote:
leoper wrote:
do you think is possible to take off orange cover from this blinker lights ?
i have seen someone who did it, so blinker is clear, and with bulbs with 2 colurs, you can have more white light in normal position, and orange blinker when you need


The orange lense can be removed, but you have to dismantle the headlight. Then you could replace the halogen bulb with a two color LED bulb. I'm guessing that your scoot uses 1157 bulbs, which are two filament. The hard part is finding a bright enough LED bulb. Our PCX in the USA use single filament bulbs.


Gil


i think, this type is enought

https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-2057A-Wh ... 7+dual+led

https://www.amazon.com/Autolizer-Signal ... B00C3MVK6G


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:53 am 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 8041
Location: Staggering back to the centre of the universe
WI_Hedgehog wrote:
There's only one socket in the stock bulb housing, and the reflector is set to reflect from a particular bulb. If you change the bulb setup it will be similar to seeing a curvy, sexy gal in a fun-house mirror, then she moves and the curves are in the wrong places... In this case the light won't be reflected correctly and would be dull & dim, despite having bright bulbs. You'd need different light housings designed to do that.

http://what-when-how.com/automobile/hea ... utomobile/





In reality any changes to the distance to the reflector are likely to be minor and won't have a material effect on beam pattern or intensity.

But you are right, a bit of common sense when choosing the bulb to make sure it is of approximately the same size wouldn't harm.

_________________
Going through a "period of clarity"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:08 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:20 pm
Posts: 256
Location: Watsonville, CA
Year: 2013
Color: black
You don't need those resistors, I used this ebay flasher so that the turn signals flash at the right rate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-2-Pin-Adjustable-Frequency-LED-Flasher-Relay-Motorcycle-Turn-Signal-Flash/372138233728?hash=item56a52acf80:g:ZN8AAOSwcx5ZZlEN&vxp=mtr

The first bulb you listed seem good, going by the reviews and pictures. These might be good too.

https://www.amazon.com/ENDPAGE-Switchback-Projector-Daytime-Blinkers/dp/B073NZX7K4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1511006743&sr=1-1&keywords=1157+yellow+white

Gil

_________________
ImageImage
    2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 12g Roller weights
    IRC tires, LED driving lights, Besten trunk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:33 am 
Offline
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:43 pm
Posts: 2248
Location: London, England
Year: 2015 125
Color: White
In the UK, any external lights fitted to a vehicle must work to pass an MOT - usually picked up by 'legit' car MOT's but may get un-noticed on a bike MOT. If the police pulled you over, they could check and fine you for non functioning lights.
It comes down to chance, and it's your bike so do what you like - want to disable the running lights - go ahead.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:11 am 
Offline
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 155
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue
Those Chineese replacement bulbs are a great idea, maybe try to find some quality ones though...

you you wrote:
....In reality any changes to the distance to the reflector are likely to be minor and won't have a material effect on beam pattern or intensity....

Not to start a pissing match, and only for information because I've been through this a lot: The stock bulbs *generally* are the filament type, so a slightly side-to-side point-light-source (the filament). The reflectors (basically mirrors) are made based on this so they reflect the maximum amount of light from the point source to disperse in a specific pattern, and that pattern has been studied by many, many people for maximum safety of the driver and those around them. Headlights, directional, whatever, the pattern for each has been studied and is well-known.

LEDs are a long, fat, front-back light source, completely different from the point-light-source. While they may be bright from one angle, they're probably not from another. Much the same with HIDs although they throw a plasma arc front-back and while thin, the center of the arc is generally not where the center of the filament was, and the direction is front-back instead of side-side, so they *look* brighter to the driver, but are blinding oncoming traffic because the dispersion pattern isn't right due to where the light source is relative to the reflector location. When properly aiming this setup they're no brighter than what they replace, and are actually darker for many reasons off-topic to this thread.

Bottom line is replacing the bulbs with something different generally makes them harder to see and therefore puts the driver at greater risk. I'm not your mom, and sure as hell ain't here to tell you what to do. Do as you want--I ain't no "safety b!tch" either. I looked into this a lot for the Fury, and as much as I'd love to change out the stock lollypops and tail light, the factory solution seems to be the best practical setup regarding other people understanding my intentions and not smacking into me. The PCX lollys are really good looking and very functional, so for me there's no need to change them out. Plus it's a small ride, being seen is important (maybe enough for some people to dress like Big Bird, but not myself...) Just thought I'd share so you have a better idea of the potential outcome and can do what's best for you.


Attachment:
yellow_for_safety.jpg
yellow_for_safety.jpg [ 74.83 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:03 am 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 8041
Location: Staggering back to the centre of the universe
WI_Hedgehog wrote:
Those Chineese replacement bulbs are a great idea, maybe try to find some quality ones though...

you you wrote:
....In reality any changes to the distance to the reflector are likely to be minor and won't have a material effect on beam pattern or intensity....

Not to start a pissing match, and only for information because I've been through this a lot: The stock bulbs *generally* are the filament type, so a slightly side-to-side point-light-source (the filament). The reflectors (basically mirrors) are made based on this so they reflect the maximum amount of light from the point source to disperse in a specific pattern, and that pattern has been studied by many, many people for maximum safety of the driver and those around them. Headlights, directional, whatever, the pattern for each has been studied and is well-known.

LEDs are a long, fat, front-back light source, completely different from the point-light-source. While they may be bright from one angle, they're probably not from another. Much the same with HIDs although they throw a plasma arc front-back and while thin, the center of the arc is generally not where the center of the filament was, and the direction is front-back instead of side-side, so they *look* brighter to the driver, but are blinding oncoming traffic because the dispersion pattern isn't right due to where the light source is relative to the reflector location. When properly aiming this setup they're no brighter than what they replace, and are actually darker for many reasons off-topic to this thread.

Bottom line is replacing the bulbs with something different generally makes them harder to see and therefore puts the driver at greater risk. I'm not your mom, and sure as hell ain't here to tell you what to do. Do as you want--I ain't no "safety b!tch" either. I looked into this a lot for the Fury, and as much as I'd love to change out the stock lollypops and tail light, the factory solution seems to be the best practical setup regarding other people understanding my intentions and not smacking into me. The PCX lollys are really good looking and very functional, so for me there's no need to change them out. Plus it's a small ride, being seen is important (maybe enough for some people to dress like Big Bird, but not myself...) Just thought I'd share so you have a better idea of the potential outcome and can do what's best for you.


Attachment:
yellow_for_safety.jpg



Its fine advice but your "chopper" headlight that you are basing it on is much smaller than a PCXs. Im sure there is nothing wrong with popping an LED in and seeing what happens. My bet is that it wont be quite so dramatic, never mind life threatening.

_________________
Going through a "period of clarity"


Last edited by you you on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:04 am 
Offline
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:13 pm
Posts: 3982
Location: Marietta, Ga USA
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX
It's a baby hog! When it grows up it will need back surgery 'cause that rider is just a bit too big for it! Oh my aching gas tank!

_________________
Currently own:
Two Red 2013 Honda PCX150s

Givi tall windshield and tailbox on both
Lots and lots of extra lights
Custom seats from Thailand
Bad boy Airhorn on each
Takegawa Lowering Shocks on both


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:24 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:20 pm
Posts: 256
Location: Watsonville, CA
Year: 2013
Color: black
Those are all important concerns, so I don't consider it a pissing match. The legal and safety points are important things to keep in mind. My only concern with LED lights is their brightness. LED's are getting better, but since there aren't any name brands widely available it becomes a gamble.

Gil

_________________
ImageImage
    2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 12g Roller weights
    IRC tires, LED driving lights, Besten trunk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:43 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:06 pm
Posts: 840
Location: Hope, BC, Canada
Year: 2014
Color: Silver
Gil wrote:

What motorcycle did you use the eBay flasher on? PCX or Forza 300? Where did you wire it in? How?

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:43 pm 
Offline
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 155
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue
Gil wrote:
Those are all important concerns, so I don't consider it a pissing match. The legal and safety points are important things to keep in mind. My only concern with LED lights is their brightness. LED's are getting better, but since there aren't any name brands widely available it becomes a gamble.

Gil

Maybe it's worth it. On my car I changed out the stock filament reverse lamps for LED that are way brighter and light up the area for the backup camera. In this case the replacement bulb has a
focused main lens (narrow beam projector) with a few smaller side bulb as flood light; works great, only took about 7 trial bulbs to get a good one for the housing, not a big deal. The replacements use less power and run cooler than stock. I'm mainly concerned with seeing where I'm going and others knowing I'm backing up, both needs are met.

On directional lights you want them to shine straight, and also to the sides so people see them from any reasonable angle and can understand you're changing lanes or turning, a difficult accomplishment on sunny days. This is why I normally don't change stock directionals, they tend to work best under a variety of conditions. That's probably the real legal concern, that a driver who changed thier directionals (or other lights) hasn't unintentionally become a hazzard to others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:13 pm 
Offline
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:13 pm
Posts: 3982
Location: Marietta, Ga USA
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX
I have a 2013 model, which h has those "sticks" attached to the right and left front and back areas as turn signals. The front light assembly has nothing in either the top or the bottom of the light assembly. I would like to tap into the turn signal circuits and add lights in this empty slots. Does anyone know if the bike could handle LED bulbs in the empty turn signal/marker light sockets, or should I try installing yellow 1157 bulbs in the slots?

_________________
Currently own:
Two Red 2013 Honda PCX150s

Givi tall windshield and tailbox on both
Lots and lots of extra lights
Custom seats from Thailand
Bad boy Airhorn on each
Takegawa Lowering Shocks on both


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:08 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:20 pm
Posts: 256
Location: Watsonville, CA
Year: 2013
Color: black
davenowherejones wrote:
What motorcycle did you use the eBay flasher on? PCX or Forza 300? Where did you wire it in? How?

Thanks


I used it on my Honda PCX. I replaced the stock one with the ebay one, it plugs into the stock plug, it's that simple. I'm guessing that it's the same type for the Forza 300?


Gil

_________________
ImageImage
    2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 12g Roller weights
    IRC tires, LED driving lights, Besten trunk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:20 pm
Posts: 256
Location: Watsonville, CA
Year: 2013
Color: black
Here is a picture of the LED bulbs I used for the turn signals on my scoot. They aren't as bright as I would like, but for now they will do. I got them from ebay. I bought a couple extra, sacrificed this one just to see how it's wired.

gil


Attachments:
IMG_20170321_001320.jpg
IMG_20170321_001320.jpg [ 78.88 KiB | Viewed 96 times ]

_________________
ImageImage
    2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 12g Roller weights
    IRC tires, LED driving lights, Besten trunk
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:57 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:20 pm
Posts: 256
Location: Watsonville, CA
Year: 2013
Color: black
leoper wrote:
do you think is possible to take off orange cover from this blinker lights ?
i have seen someone who did it, so blinker is clear, and with bulbs with 2 colurs, you can have more white light in normal position, and orange blinker when you need


Make sure to verify what type of bulb your scoot uses. On my scoot they are 1156 bulbs, for the turn signals, as we don't have the running lights on the PCX for some reason.

gil

_________________
ImageImage
    2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 12g Roller weights
    IRC tires, LED driving lights, Besten trunk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:16 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:20 pm
Posts: 256
Location: Watsonville, CA
Year: 2013
Color: black
I'll start a new thread on LED bulbs. I'll show the ones that I have bought in the past and what I have on the scoot. I just went scouring ebay and found a couple promising bulbs that might be brighter than the halogen turn signal bulbs.


Gil

_________________
ImageImage
    2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 12g Roller weights
    IRC tires, LED driving lights, Besten trunk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:04 am 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 8041
Location: Staggering back to the centre of the universe
Gil wrote:
Here is a picture of the LED bulbs I used for the turn signals on my scoot. They aren't as bright as I would like, but for now they will do. I got them from ebay. I bought a couple extra, sacrificed this one just to see how it's wired.

gil



:D Ive done the same to see inside.

Most of the house bulbs are LED now. Much better.

_________________
Going through a "period of clarity"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Like what you see here? Buy the admin a beer! Donate at the link below:

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!