Orange running lights

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Orange running lights

Post by gn2 »

Has anyone found a way of disabling the front running lamps?
It just makes the thing look like the indicators are broken.
I have noticed that it has caused a fair bit of confusion at roundabouts and junctions...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Orange running lights

Post by skuuter »

gn2 wrote:Has anyone found a way of disabling the front running lamps?
It just makes the thing look like the indicators are broken.
I have noticed that it has caused a fair bit of confusion at roundabouts and junctions...
It's a "PLUS" here in the USA because Motorcycles have them burning...been stopped a couple of times each on PCX and Ruckus Scooters by State Troopers to tell me "Your Parking Lights aren't burning"...... :D
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

Gn, I'm with you on this I'd prefer them not to be lit, it's basically a stop/tail bulb in there, seems there's nothing to be done with it
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I was wondering if there was a fuse for the running light circuit, the manual doesn't list the fuses which isn.t a help.
If there was a circuit diagram available I would just disconnect the relevant wire.
I might have a guddle around tomorrow and see what's what with the bulb holder and wiring.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Scompton1

Post by Scompton1 »

I purchased the LED's that replace the bulb and plug right in. It is a T10 wedge and you can find hundreds of styles to choose from. The ones I got have a nice blue tint to them and accent the bike well. There are other color options I saw while shopping for mine. Very cheap and a 2 minute install. If you really don't want anything on, just reach your hand up, twist quarter turn, pull out bulb assembly and remove the bulb. Very easy. I recommend the LEDs though, they wont get confused with turn signals.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The turn signal bulb is the running light bulb, its a dual filament job.
Changing the bulb is not an option, I just need to disable the running light circuit.
Scompton1

Post by Scompton1 »

Mine are separate on the PCX 150, so disregard, I assumed yours was the same, my mistake.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Hmmm, I have found some interesting bulbs which are white on the 5w sidelight contact and flash orange on the 21w indicator contact, if only the indicator lenses were clear and not fecking orange the job would be really easy.
Now to see if the orange bit of the lens can come out and still look OK...

Pt.no.LDINDOW1 @ http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyleds.htm
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Well that was easy enough.
Job done, total time five minutes, cost nil.
Open up the dash top covers (as per manual) to get at and remove the indicator bulbs.
Trial and error to see which contact is the 5w, its the one beside the return contact at the side, add a tiny piece of insulating tape on the 5w side of the bulb.
Hey presto, indicators without running lights.
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

Cheers mate any chance of a pic or is it that simple
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

It's really simple.
Pull the bulb, cut a small square of tape and stick it over one of the contacts on the bottom of the bulb.
Put bulb back in, turn ignition on, if the bulb lights up switch off, pull bulb, put the tape on the other contact.
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

Cheers again, no gonna have a go
toria
Regular User
Regular User

Post by toria »

I gather it's new EU policy to have these, your bike will be illegal if you disable them!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Really?
The EU can baise mon cul.
toria
Regular User
Regular User

Post by toria »

gn2 wrote:Really?
The EU can baise mon cul.

That's what the Honda dealer told me but it doesn't mean I think they're right! I think they could be confusing!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I smell bs.
How many of Honda's current range have them?
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Thanks Gn2, having had my Forza for 5 weeks now I was worried that there was a fault. I didn't notice the running lights until my first trip at night and I came to a stand in a side street and saw my reflection in a shop window. I had an idea I'd find out on this forum. Why not fit white LEDs? In fact we already have a hard-wired headlamp! Daft.
Image[/URL
Foxyboy
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by Foxyboy »

I disabled my running lights tonight. Remove the two screws holding the black trims below your mirrors. The screws can beam found when you open both glovebox lids.
Once the trims pop off you have access to the two front indicator/running lamp bulb holders. Twist out the bulb holders and find the Orange/white wire on the left side and the light blue/white wire on the right. Snip these two wires and tape them back. Rebuild...job done.
The front indicators have twin filament bulbs, 25w/5w. 25watt for indicators and 5 watt for running lights.
frenchkiss109
Color: black

Post by frenchkiss109 »

why not replacing these dual filament bulbs with "one filament" bulbs same as the rear lights, if we don't need that 5w permanent running light ?
Forza 300
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Yes use a single filament bulb, and the tape idea should work great as well. But..I do not understand why it would be confusing to have more lighting then less especially at night. If both sides are low lit why would someone assume they are defective ?? and I think anyone especially at a roundabout would have there antennae and human sensors turned up to max as they can be a bag of confusion at anytime.I think those running lights are there for a reason and the legalities of removing them may be a problem.. Additionally one headlight beam alone may be mistaken for a street light or house light by a less than attentive driver say texting or doing other things while driving..