Orange running lights

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Re: Orange running lights

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

In the U.S. they're called "marker lights" and they mark the sides of a vehicle, be it a car, truck, or motorcycle.

Scooters and motorcycles (which is a "scooter" above 50cc -or- able to exceed 30 MPH under ideal conditions) is required to have a "daytime running light" (namely the headlight) illuminated so other drivers notice the motorized cycle. As so many automobile drivers mistake scooters and motorcycles for bicycles, the headlight is supposed to draw their attention to the vehicle so they observe the rate of travel and don't pull out in front of it, or do something else without thinking first and cause an unnecessary incident.

Bicyclists, noting that automobile drivers disregard them, have also put lights on their bikes, in hopes auto drivers will "see them" and avoid causing injuries. The response by auto drivers is to ignore both bicycles and scooters/motorcycles and continue causing "accidents."

Authorities therefore require marker likes on motorized vehicles to differentiate them from bicycles. In addition, were the headlight to fail, the marker lights would still be illuminated, and in theory the auto driver able to "see" the scooter/motorcycle.
leoper
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by leoper »

do you think is possible to take off orange cover from this blinker lights ?
i have seen someone who did it, so blinker is clear, and with bulbs with 2 colurs, you can have more white light in normal position, and orange blinker when you need
WI_Hedgehog

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

There's only one socket in the stock bulb housing, and the reflector is set to reflect from a particular bulb. If you change the bulb setup it will be similar to seeing a curvy, sexy gal in a fun-house mirror, then she moves and the curves are in the wrong places... In this case the light won't be reflected correctly and would be dull & dim, despite having bright bulbs. You'd need different light housings designed to do that.

http://what-when-how.com/automobile/hea ... utomobile/
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

leoper wrote:do you think is possible to take off orange cover from this blinker lights ?
i have seen someone who did it, so blinker is clear, and with bulbs with 2 colurs, you can have more white light in normal position, and orange blinker when you need
The orange lense can be removed, but you have to dismantle the headlight. Then you could replace the halogen bulb with a two color LED bulb. I'm guessing that your scoot uses 1157 bulbs, which are two filament. The hard part is finding a bright enough LED bulb. Our PCX in the USA use single filament bulbs.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
leoper
Color: white

Post by leoper »

Gil wrote:
leoper wrote:do you think is possible to take off orange cover from this blinker lights ?
The orange lense can be removed, but you have to dismantle the headlight. Then you could replace the halogen bulb with a two color LED bulb. I'm guessing that your scoot uses 1157 bulbs, which are two filament. The hard part is finding a bright enough LED bulb. Our PCX in the USA use single filament bulbs.

Gil
i think, this type is enought

https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-2057A-Wh ... 7+dual+led

https://www.amazon.com/Autolizer-Signal ... B00C3MVK6G
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WI_Hedgehog wrote:There's only one socket in the stock bulb housing, and the reflector is set to reflect from a particular bulb. If you change the bulb setup it will be similar to seeing a curvy, sexy gal in a fun-house mirror, then she moves and the curves are in the wrong places... In this case the light won't be reflected correctly and would be dull & dim, despite having bright bulbs. You'd need different light housings designed to do that.

http://what-when-how.com/automobile/hea ... utomobile/

In reality any changes to the distance to the reflector are likely to be minor and won't have a material effect on beam pattern or intensity.

But you are right, a bit of common sense when choosing the bulb to make sure it is of approximately the same size wouldn't harm.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

You don't need those resistors, I used this ebay flasher so that the turn signals flash at the right rate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-2-Pin-Adju ... EN&vxp=mtr

The first bulb you listed seem good, going by the reviews and pictures. These might be good too.

https://www.amazon.com/ENDPAGE-Switchba ... llow+white

Gil
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

In the UK, any external lights fitted to a vehicle must work to pass an MOT - usually picked up by 'legit' car MOT's but may get un-noticed on a bike MOT. If the police pulled you over, they could check and fine you for non functioning lights.
It comes down to chance, and it's your bike so do what you like - want to disable the running lights - go ahead.
WI_Hedgehog

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

Those Chineese replacement bulbs are a great idea, maybe try to find some quality ones though...
you you wrote:....In reality any changes to the distance to the reflector are likely to be minor and won't have a material effect on beam pattern or intensity....
Not to start a pissing match, and only for information because I've been through this a lot: The stock bulbs *generally* are the filament type, so a slightly side-to-side point-light-source (the filament). The reflectors (basically mirrors) are made based on this so they reflect the maximum amount of light from the point source to disperse in a specific pattern, and that pattern has been studied by many, many people for maximum safety of the driver and those around them. Headlights, directional, whatever, the pattern for each has been studied and is well-known.

LEDs are a long, fat, front-back light source, completely different from the point-light-source. While they may be bright from one angle, they're probably not from another. Much the same with HIDs although they throw a plasma arc front-back and while thin, the center of the arc is generally not where the center of the filament was, and the direction is front-back instead of side-side, so they *look* brighter to the driver, but are blinding oncoming traffic because the dispersion pattern isn't right due to where the light source is relative to the reflector location. When properly aiming this setup they're no brighter than what they replace, and are actually darker for many reasons off-topic to this thread.

Bottom line is replacing the bulbs with something different generally makes them harder to see and therefore puts the driver at greater risk. I'm not your mom, and sure as hell ain't here to tell you what to do. Do as you want--I ain't no "safety b!tch" either. I looked into this a lot for the Fury, and as much as I'd love to change out the stock lollypops and tail light, the factory solution seems to be the best practical setup regarding other people understanding my intentions and not smacking into me. The PCX lollys are really good looking and very functional, so for me there's no need to change them out. Plus it's a small ride, being seen is important (maybe enough for some people to dress like Big Bird, but not myself...) Just thought I'd share so you have a better idea of the potential outcome and can do what's best for you.

yellow_for_safety.jpg
yellow_for_safety.jpg (74.83 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WI_Hedgehog wrote:Those Chineese replacement bulbs are a great idea, maybe try to find some quality ones though...
you you wrote:....In reality any changes to the distance to the reflector are likely to be minor and won't have a material effect on beam pattern or intensity....
Not to start a pissing match, and only for information because I've been through this a lot: The stock bulbs *generally* are the filament type, so a slightly side-to-side point-light-source (the filament). The reflectors (basically mirrors) are made based on this so they reflect the maximum amount of light from the point source to disperse in a specific pattern, and that pattern has been studied by many, many people for maximum safety of the driver and those around them. Headlights, directional, whatever, the pattern for each has been studied and is well-known.

LEDs are a long, fat, front-back light source, completely different from the point-light-source. While they may be bright from one angle, they're probably not from another. Much the same with HIDs although they throw a plasma arc front-back and while thin, the center of the arc is generally not where the center of the filament was, and the direction is front-back instead of side-side, so they *look* brighter to the driver, but are blinding oncoming traffic because the dispersion pattern isn't right due to where the light source is relative to the reflector location. When properly aiming this setup they're no brighter than what they replace, and are actually darker for many reasons off-topic to this thread.

Bottom line is replacing the bulbs with something different generally makes them harder to see and therefore puts the driver at greater risk. I'm not your mom, and sure as hell ain't here to tell you what to do. Do as you want--I ain't no "safety b!tch" either. I looked into this a lot for the Fury, and as much as I'd love to change out the stock lollypops and tail light, the factory solution seems to be the best practical setup regarding other people understanding my intentions and not smacking into me. The PCX lollys are really good looking and very functional, so for me there's no need to change them out. Plus it's a small ride, being seen is important (maybe enough for some people to dress like Big Bird, but not myself...) Just thought I'd share so you have a better idea of the potential outcome and can do what's best for you.

yellow_for_safety.jpg

Its fine advice but your "chopper" headlight that you are basing it on is much smaller than a PCXs. Im sure there is nothing wrong with popping an LED in and seeing what happens. My bet is that it wont be quite so dramatic, never mind life threatening.
Last edited by you you on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It's a baby hog! When it grows up it will need back surgery 'cause that rider is just a bit too big for it! Oh my aching gas tank!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Those are all important concerns, so I don't consider it a pissing match. The legal and safety points are important things to keep in mind. My only concern with LED lights is their brightness. LED's are getting better, but since there aren't any name brands widely available it becomes a gamble.

Gil
ImageImage
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Gil wrote:You don't need those resistors, I used this ebay flasher so that the turn signals flash at the right rate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-2-Pin-Adju ... EN&vxp=mtr

The first bulb you listed seem good, going by the reviews and pictures. These might be good too.

https://www.amazon.com/ENDPAGE-Switchba ... llow+white

Gil
What motorcycle did you use the eBay flasher on? PCX or Forza 300? Where did you wire it in? How?

Thanks
WI_Hedgehog