The Thermometer is the Most important Motorcycle Instrument

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

The Thermometer is the Most important Motorcycle Instrument

Post by davenowherejones »

All year long I must consult my thermometer before I go riding my Forza 300.

During the winter it determines if I can ride at all. Ice is not fun on a scooter with lots of plastic. And my old bones do not like -30 any more. I used to ski at -30.

During the summer I need to know how much water to carry and what clothes to wear. I do not get any of the super hot desert temperatures.

Currently it is 0 degrees C. I have a personal minimum of 5C now. I also have to check the temperature of where I am going.

One problem is the Environment Canada or whatever they are called now, only updates the temperature once an hour on the hour. There can be huge changes in an hour sometimes.

Today I want to go to Cache Creek, BC for lunch. It is now 1.2C But the sun is starting to peak over the mountains and it will warm up faster. The problem is that the dark side of the mountains is still cold and icy.

Some days it takes forever to get warm and I run out of daylight hours for the desired trip. The nights get really cold fast.

Spring officially starts in four days.

ps How come St Patricks Day is a big event but St David's Day is virtually unknown, even by this David with a half Welsh adopted father. (March 1, 2018, I looked it up on Google) Damn I missed it again. 1.9C on the dark side of my house, going up!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: The Thermometer is the Most important Motorcycle Instrum

5.7C, so do I put on 2 or 3 pairs of long underwear. I am going up in the mountains so 3 is best but how many shirts?
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

my therm on the Forza read 51F on today's ride
and it was a wonderful 36 miles

my last ride was in late November

just glorious
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

So after a weather delay I made it to Cache Creek for a late lunch at the Bear's Claw Lodge.

I took an energy bar break in Spences Bridge just after a stare down with a herd of big horn sheep. If they had charged, I would have lost.

There were places with lots of snow beside the highway. It was a 3 pair long underwear day. I should have stopped and put my snowmobile gloves on. The hands were cold at lunch.

The clouds threatened to dump rain/snow on me but I went around all of them.

I fuelled up close to home and discovered that I now have just over 70,000 km on the 2014 Honda Forza 300 re-built ICBC written off wreck. Not bad.

Once I had the forks filled with oil it became a nice to ride scooter. I suspect it had no fork oil right from the factory in Thailand. That may even be why the previous owner dropped the bike in a parking lot. Speed bumps were deadly, forks collapsed completely.

I hate people behind me since I stop frequently to look at stuff. I find money and I stop. I stop to look at rocks and wild animals. I stop to scratch my nose. I stop way too often to pee. I pull over onto the gravel and force people to overtake me.

The price of gas has increased lately because our leaders are being stupid. Yes, dumber and dumberer. The roads are pretty empty right now so I have a pleasant ride without many pullovers.

A nice day with NO RAIN!!!
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

I feel cold just reading it, though, Dave. :)
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Bravo !!! Nice post !
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Will this winter ever end?

I wanted to go to Merritt, BC via the Coquihalla. It is 5C in Hope, almost rideable but it is -4C in Merritt, too cold. The Highways webcam shows snow all over the highway at the summit.

I am going back to bed for 3 weeks!!!

Or shopping in Chilliwack, soon to be the home of Molson Coors where every case of beer will soon smell like cow shit. The whole town smells of cow shit. Gotta feed those bad girls better.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

...and I am upset because it is only 57°F outside right now?? Brrr. You must be one of those brave souls who will ride in almost any temperature.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

3 pair of long underwear, boxer shorts, rain pants and armoured pants go a long way. My hairy chest protects me also. Snowmobile gloves are amazing. Knowing when to say no also helps.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The rain gauge is the second most important instrument but I use a puddle as a substitute. If the puddle is hard it is too cold.

I NEED to ride really soon.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:lol: ^^ good one! Puddles. Check. I need to ride really soon too
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I just wanted to post something on Friday the Thirteenth. No riding lately, too much work and rain. I worked in the rain yesterday but saw blue sky not too far up river. Gotta go there! And where is that rainbow end?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:The rain gauge is the second most important instrument but I use a puddle as a substitute. If the puddle is hard it is too cold.
:lol: