Rain riding

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Rain riding

Post by davenowherejones »

OK, who has the best tips for riding the Honda Forza 300 in the rain?

I have a personal minimum of 5 degrees C before I will go riding around here. Anything lower than that can mean I will be in the snow possibly.

I hate riding in the rain at night. My visor fogs up so badly. I have a new anti-fog visor sitting on the shelf but I am too cheap to use it. I want to completely wear out the current ICON Variant anti-fog visor.

I might get a few more rides in this winter before I PARK the Forza. I have been riding home in the dark way too much lately. Technically our sunset was at 4:09 pm. In the mountains sunset often comes a lot earlier. I can ride in the dark but I always hope the local drunks can see me. A few potholes sneak up and bite me in the ass occasionally. Fortunately my suspension works a lot better than when I first got the written off Forza wreck. My dual sport riding experience helps me slide around the corners and holes.

My six layers off clothing help keep me dry. I bought a lottery ticket so that I can buy the $4000 Goretex Klim riding suit. Your clothing should not cost more than your motorcycle!!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Rain riding

Post by gn2 »

Four key words: genuine pinlock visor insert
I have an HJC IS17 helmet which came supplied with a pinlock insert and it simply doesn't fog up, ever.

I buy end of line riding gear cheap from eBay, currently have thermal lined Weise jacket and trousers which never let any water in even around the seat.
Both cost me £90 delivered as opposed to the current model of the same gear which at the time was selling in bike shops for nearer £400
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

if you are going to spend a lot of time riding in the dark and/or the rain, I would suggest that you invest in some additional LED driving lights. Not only can you see better at night with them but others can see you better as well.

I don't have a Forza (two PCX 150s) but I have added some to both bikes and we turn them on when riding, whether it be day or night. There must be a Forza owner on the forum somewhere who has added lights to his bike. perhaps they can advise you on the best place to install them. Mine are on the sides of the front wheels at fender level, and I have a switch on the handlebar.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Forza-on-Air
Color: Red

Post by Forza-on-Air »

Buy a car :D
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Forza-on-Air wrote:Buy a car :D
Yep .... I don’t need to ride in the rain so I don’t .... but I know some people have no choice so I’m not making any sort of statement other than don’t unless you need to.
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

Personally for me it comes down to staying as dry and as warm as possible.

I back up GN2 about the genuine pinlock. It's absolutely essential if you want to ride without having to lift your visor at traffic lights and let cold air in.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Mel46 wrote:if you are going to spend a lot of time riding in the dark and/or the rain, I would suggest that you invest in some additional LED driving lights. Not only can you see better at night with them but others can see you better as well.

I don't have a Forza (two PCX 150s) but I have added some to both bikes and we turn them on when riding, whether it be day or night. There must be a Forza owner on the forum somewhere who has added lights to his bike. perhaps they can advise you on the best place to install them. Mine are on the sides of the front wheels at fender level, and I have a switch on the handlebar.
I would like some more lights. Which lights did you buy? How exactly did you install them? Pictures?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Forza-on-Air wrote:Buy a car :D
I have a Dodge Dakota 4x4 and the V8 drinks gas like you would not believe.

Why be normal?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

lillypinkjenny wrote:Personally for me it comes down to staying as dry and as warm as possible.

I back up GN2 about the genuine pinlock. It's absolutely essential if you want to ride without having to lift your visor at traffic lights and let cold air in.
I would like to try a pinlock but it would be about $100. If I rode to work every day I would probably do it.
Forza-on-Air

Post by Forza-on-Air »

Why ride in the rain, if you can’t afford gas time to trade that 4x4 a small 4x4 lol
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I watched the thermometer all morning. It got up to 4.6C so I did a trip to McDonalds for brunch.

I then headed west where it was warmer to Harrison Hot Springs. A local doctor was out in a Murphy Yukon floatplane. I watched it take off. I walked over to the hot water source. I had one eye on the dramatic sky and one eye on the clock. I even managed with great restraint managed to get myself home before dark. No rain!

I have willpower!!! I don't need no stinkin' lights (sorry, apologies to Mel Brooks).
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Forza-on-Air wrote:Why ride in the rain, if you can’t afford gas time to trade that 4x4 a small 4x4 lol
I repeat, why be normal?
Forza-on-Air

Post by Forza-on-Air »

davenowherejones wrote:
Forza-on-Air wrote:Why ride in the rain, if you can’t afford gas time to trade that 4x4 a small 4x4 lol
I repeat, why be normal?
Ride safe
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

davenowherejones wrote:
I repeat, why be normal?
To raise your likelihood of living longer
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Here is a picture of my PCX. Zoom in on the front and you will see a light on the front strut, as well as some other smaller lights. There are even some small strobe lights in my bike.

[apittachment=0]1479927799350.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (43.44 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
1479927799350.jpg
1479927799350.jpg (24.48 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

springer1 wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:
I repeat, why be normal?
To raise your likelihood of living longer
I spent a few years of working with the elderly. To live to be 85 living in a nursing home is definitely NOT one of my goals. I saw too many people doing that. It stinks and the quality of life was really bad for a lot of them.

At age 58 and with no family, I intend to have as much fun as I can in the next few years. If I wait for perfect weather I may die waiting. There is no such thing as bad weather, only wearing the wrong clothing said a famous adventurer. I agree.

Management of risks is a fine line, its called living. I sometimes ride through 20 minutes of rain to come upon great weather at the other side. Other times I just get wet all day. I'd rather get wet than die of boredom.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I like your attitude.

These lights looked somewhat interesting:

https://www.miniinthebox.com/electric-c ... rm=2.3.4.0

Roll down some - the lights appear to mount under your mirror stalks.

Gear? Perhaps one of Aerostich's suits or sets : http://www.aerostich.com/suits
Pricey I'll admit, but not 4 grand. Perhaps worth it for you to have one piece of equipment that you can count on.

You got me thinking about pinlock visors. I will likely need a new helmet in the next year or so, and pinlock compatibility will be on the list. HJC-17 has a pinlock visor for around $30, and the pinlock insert is another $28 or so. Not quite the hundred you're figuring, but not that far away. When I go out at 30-35 F, fogging is a problem. Fortunately my ride to work is short, and the weather has warmed up coming home.

Anybody have any luck with visor treatments that claim to repel rain? If so, curious minds would like to know a brand that works.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

davenowherejones wrote:
lillypinkjenny wrote:Personally for me it comes down to staying as dry and as warm as possible.

I would like to try a pinlock but it would be about $100. If I rode to work every day I would probably do it.
So, are you going to take that $100 with you?

Just buy one and enjoy the clear view without having to freeze your nose and getting ice-cream-head.

;)
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

lillypinkjenny wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:

So, are you going to take that $100 with you?

Just buy one and enjoy the clear view without having to freeze your nose and getting ice-cream-head.

;)
true
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

GeorgeSK,
I actually have those lights on order from that website. I will evaluate them for you when they come in. It should be interesting. If they don't work out being connected to the mirror stems, I will have to see if there is a way to connect them elsewhere. They don't look very powerful based on the picture, but they should work well at letting others see you.
For night time road visibility I have two Kawell spot lights. Those are mounted on each side of the fender. I can thank Maddiedog for that idea. He even showed me how he had mounted them on his previous PCX. Just make sure they are adjusted down enough to hit the road and not the eyes of the oncoming driver.

https://www.amazon.com/KAWELL-Light-Lig ... ell+lights
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150