Rain riding

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Rain riding

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, those guys had the money to buy top of the line BMW 'Adventure' bikes...what's an Adventure bike?? I know that where they took the bikes would be considered an adventure, but I didn't know there was a class of bike called that. Wait, come to think about it, isn't the Suzuki V-Strom one? Dave (Maddiedog) had/has one of those. I could barely get on it.

I saw the BMW bikes, and the suspension on them had plenty of travel. The frame looked to me like it was on the outside, rather than covered by panels, and they had storage boxes all over them. I bet they cost a fortune.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

In my two trips motorcycling to Alaska the number one choice of bike by a large margin was Harley Davidson. One does not need a BMW to bike to Alaska.

Any bike will work.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Good, so in Canada I can take a CRF250 Rally if I have to rush and I would take my Honda Forza 300 if I had all summer.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I do not think Tuk will happen but there is a slight chance. Money, medical & madness.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Mel46 wrote:what's an Adventure bike??
There's two types.

1: any motorcycle or scooter at all

2: expensive bloated monstrous hideous beast with long travel suspension and off-road/Paris-Dakar styling cues, normally used for "adventures" to the local biker hang-out on sunny Sunday afternoons by fat balding arthritic middle aged men who cant ride sportbikes any more
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

:-) :-()

I had a work associate who is now retired, like me, who bought one of the bikes those "adventurers" sold after their long trip. He had never ridden before, but because everyone around him at work was discussing motorcycles he decided that he needed to get one too. Since he never did anything halfway, he took the class, bought all the gear, including a fully tailored one piece riding suit, and then he bought the BMW adventure bike.

I have never seen his bike but I recall some of his stories about getting recall notices that cost him a couple of grand each time, and the expensive tires, chain, etc. He rode for a few years but parked it after he became a grandparent. He recently commented on my Facebook page that he was surprised that I was still riding.

Unlike him, I have been riding for over 50 years, and unlike him, I don't need the most expensive bike out there in order to have fun. Unlike him, I plan on riding until I can't...and unlike him, I don't need to impress anyone.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote::-) :-()

I had a work associate who is now retired, like me, who bought one of the bikes those "adventurers" sold after their long trip. He had never ridden before, but because everyone around him at work was discussing motorcycles he decided that he needed to get one too. Since he never did anything halfway, he took the class, bought all the gear, including a fully tailored one piece riding suit, and then he bought the BMW adventure bike.

I have never seen his bike but I recall some of his stories about getting recall notices that cost him a couple of grand each time, and the expensive tires, chain, etc. He rode for a few years but parked it after he became a grandparent. He recently commented on my Facebook page that he was surprised that I was still riding.

Unlike him, I have been riding for over 50 years, and unlike him, I don't need the most expensive bike out there in order to have fun. Unlike him, I plan on riding until I can't...and unlike him, I don't need to impress anyone.
BMW adventure bike and chain?

Someone is pulling yours :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:Ive been shafted :lol:
I hope it was nicely lubricated...

Plus there's this cute wee beastie as well now

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Is that the 310?

I sat on one at the Motorcycle show. I had a crotch injury that day. It was a tight fit against the tank. I am only 5 foot 6. Maybe it was a low seat model?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I wonder if it plays the Nutcracker Suite when you hit a pothole?! Where is the padding in that seat??!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

davenowherejones wrote:Is that the 310?

I sat on one at the Motorcycle show. I had a crotch injury that day. It was a tight fit against the tank. I am only 5 foot 6. Maybe it was a low seat model?
Yes it is the 310 in GS guise
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

It is snowing. Zero degrees C. Time for some trip planning.

Dawson is doable on the Forza. Mostly paved road, might be some unpaved being repaired.

I might do it.

Although if I find a affordable 250 dual sport I might go all the way.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Oh to be young and foolish again... :-/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Mel46 wrote:Oh to be young and foolish again... :-/
At 58, that isn't me. How about old and stupid? Or I just don't care what others think? You call me normal and I will slap you!
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

gn2 wrote:
Mel46 wrote:what's an Adventure bike??
There's two types.

1: any motorcycle or scooter at all

2: expensive bloated monstrous hideous beast with long travel suspension and off-road/Paris-Dakar styling cues, normally used for "adventures" to the local biker hang-out on sunny Sunday afternoons by fat balding arthritic middle aged men who cant ride sportbikes any more
3) A reasonably priced and reliable bike which is supremely comfortable, with a nice upright riding position and some weather protection. Which someone has labelled as "adventure" to attract some more buyers.

It's like "hybrid" when applied to a bicycle - there's no strict definition.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

15 cm of snow overnight but it gave me time to investigate Tuktoyaktuk. The paved road ends in Dawson but there is usually long sections of road repairs. Dawson and back is still 6000 km. The gas stations might be workable with the 300 km range of the Forza. That depends if they are open and have gas, no guarantees. I might do it?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I guess it isn't going to snow here in Georgia, but it does rain a lot in the winter.

Therefore I have the bikes down in our basement right now, and since they are just sitting there I have decided to see if I can take my bike completely apart, and while it is apart I think I will see if I can add some lights to those empty sockets that come on ours.
...they aren't really sockets, just places where sockets should be. So I purchased some T10 sockets, which are smaller than the normal ones used for most Tail lights (1157). I also purchased some LED bulbs. So now we will see. :-/ Hopefully everything will work out.
Oh, and a member sent me some HS5 bulbs as well. It should be a fun mod. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

It has taken me an hour so far to take the bike down to nothing but the dash and headlight. Six more screws and the fun begins.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I guess it isn't going to snow here in Georgia, but it does rain a lot in the winter.

Therefore I have the bikes down in our basement right now, and since they are just sitting there I have decided to see if I can take my bike completely apart, and while it is apart I think I will see if I can add some lights to those empty sockets that come on ours.
...they aren't really sockets, just places where sockets should be. So I purchased some T10 sockets, which are smaller than the normal ones used for most Tail lights (1157). I also purchased some LED bulbs. So now we will see. :-/ Hopefully everything will work out.
Oh, and a member sent me some HS5 bulbs as well. It should be a fun mod. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

It has taken me an hour so far to take the bike down to nothing but the dash and headlight. Six more screws and the fun begins.

Take some pictures?