LED Headlights? Which ones do you use?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pullin_gs
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

LED Headlights? Which ones do you use?

Post by pullin_gs »

Looking to get LED headlight replacements that will fit in stock housing. Suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: LED Headlights? Which ones do you use?

Post by Gil »

I never found a compatible LED bulb for HS5 mount. I ended up using a 9007 LED headlight bulb and 3D printed a custom bulb mount for it. The low beam is good, too bright, but good light spread. The high beam on the other hand , is not good at all. I did see a HID retrofit for the PCX on ebay, I think, with Hi/Lo beam. That could be an option.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Bulbs like these might work quite good for a retrofit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9006-HB4-9012- ... 0005.m1851
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (32.69 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

The ones I used are like these but without the two color scheme. My scoots High Beam is all over the place.

Gil
Attachments
s-l500 (1).jpg
s-l500 (1).jpg (34.01 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
ImageImage
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I used some that had the braided wire heat sinks on my Forza 300. Probably focused wrong but I seldom ride at night. Mine are just something to keep the RCMP from bugging me.

Tried some on my Dakota 4x4 truck. Badly focused again. Halogens are cheap but I like the white colour of the LED's. The Canadian daytime running lights don't work half the time. It is a real crap shoot.

You can waste a lot of money on LED's to get a crap result. The LED companies also use deceptive marketing giving the lumens for two cheap bulbs total instead of telling you how bright one expensive bulb is. Waste of time.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

davenowherejones wrote:I used some that had the braided wire heat sinks on my Forza 300. Probably focused wrong but I seldom ride at night. Mine are just something to keep the RCMP from bugging me.

Tried some on my Dakota 4x4 truck. Badly focused again. Halogens are cheap but I like the white colour of the LED's. The Canadian daytime running lights don't work half the time. It is a real crap shoot.

You can waste a lot of money on LED's to get a crap result. The LED companies also use deceptive marketing giving the lumens for two cheap bulbs total instead of telling you how bright one expensive bulb is. Waste of time.

You talk from experience and you are totally correct. It's quite expensive and time consuming to get the right LED retrofit to fit, much more to work properly.

Gil
ImageImage
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

I should really check what forum i'm posting in, I was thinking of the PCX. I did a quick search and found that the Forza uses an H4 bulb. That makes it much easier to find a compatible LED bulb. A LED lightbulb like the second picture would work best with the Forza, just make sure it has the adapter for the H4 bulb mount.

Gil
ImageImage
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I use a headlight modulator.. Seems to get their attention.. Like it !
pullin_gs
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pullin_gs »

This is what I went with:
https://www.amazon.com/CougarMotor-Head ... =srch&th=1

It was a pain to put in the first one (about 40 minutes to figure it out.)
The second one went in pretty quick...less than 10 minutes.
Instructions:
*) First, I put bike on center stand about 20 feet facing towards a wall.
*) Turned headlights on and marked wall w/tape where low/high beams for each headlight fall....that is the mark where I align the new LED headlights to.
*) Pull out ONE headlight: Disconnect plug first, then pull 3-inch rubber ring, then unclip the bulb.
*) Insert new LED headlight.....this is tricky:
1) Remove LED's metal ring from main body of LED light.....you do that by pushing-in and twisting.
2) Fit 3-inch rubber ring so fits over new led shaft....make sure there is enough room to put metal ring back on. I had to trim about 1/8" off rubber with razor.
3) put new LED metal ring (only the ring) into Forza headlight housing.
4) Clip it in place.
5) Install 3-inch rubber ring snugly into back of headlight houseing over top of newly-installed metal ring.
6)Insert LED light into LED ring (will insert it through rubber ring hole)....you will need to push in and twist being sure it clicks in place.
7))Connect plug.
*)Turn on lights.
*)Align light with adjustment screw so beam lines up with the stock light (Remember...you only did one) beam....or use tape.
*)Repeat for other light.
Done.
DanielMyst777
Year: 2015

Post by DanielMyst777 »

pullin_gs wrote:This is what I went with:
https://www.amazon.com/CougarMotor-Head ... =srch&th=1
It was a pain to put in the first one (about 40 minutes to figure it out.)
Done.
I just bought a 2015 Honda Forza and am in D.C. too! I'd like to perform the same light installation as you pullin_gs. If I run into trouble along the way would it be possible to meet up so you can show me how you installed the LEDs?
kevinlukz
Year: 2005
Color: red

Post by kevinlukz »

From my experience I preferred xenonpro LED because they offer lifetime warranty but I don't know if anyone here is using that LED from xenonpro
When consumers purchase a HONDA, they are not simply purchasing a car, truck or van. They are placing their trust in our company.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I have a few products with lifetime warranties but the companies went out of business so the warranty is useless.

It does not matter how big the company is anymore. My Sears Canada warranties are useless.
kevinlukz

Post by kevinlukz »

davenowherejones wrote:I have a few products with lifetime warranties but the companies went out of business so the warranty is useless.

It does not matter how big the company is anymore. My Sears Canada warranties are useless.
lol fair but nice to have while in business i guess, some of these ebay and amazon kits are warrantied for six months, had to throw my cugar ones out garbage.

@pullin_gs one of these should do the trick but DYOR or you might end up have to custom create a mount like @Gil

https://www.xenonpro.com/9007-dual-beam ... lights-kit

https://www.xenonpro.com/h4-dual-beam-h ... lights-kit
When consumers purchase a HONDA, they are not simply purchasing a car, truck or van. They are placing their trust in our company.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I think auxiliary LED lights might be a better way to go. I am going to try mounting a small set on the front fender mounting bolt. If I ever get off my ass.
kevinlukz

Post by kevinlukz »

davenowherejones wrote:I think auxiliary LED lights might be a better way to go. I am going to try mounting a small set on the front fender mounting bolt. If I ever get off my ass.
do you have any product in mind that you know will fit/work well? might add them too :ugeek:
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Many of us have added here...some have put on the KAWELL brand from amazon, I have added the LED floods from superbrightleds.com

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... 1386/3190/

Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI