Winter storage

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Winter storage

Post by Sandymay »

I live in Ontario and unfortunately can’t ride my Forza from November til probably April, due to ice and snow.

My question is what do you do to winterize your ride? I’ve got heated storage arranged for mine. Should I add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank? The battery will be on a trickle charger. Any other good ideas?

Thanks so much,

Sandy
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Winter storage

Post by TheMaverick »

Sandymay wrote:I live in Ontario and unfortunately can’t ride my Forza from November til probably April, due to ice and snow.

My question is what do you do to winterize your ride? I’ve got heated storage arranged for mine. Should I add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank? The battery will be on a trickle charger. Any other good ideas?

Thanks so much,

Sandy
Hi Sandy,

Our benevolent overload posted on this very topic some time ago:

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14

We've had other discussions more recently, but I can't find them just at the moment - off memory the advice given in the thread above pretty much summed it up though.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

In addition I like to lessen the air pressure in the tires about 10 pounds and plug in an electronic rodent deterrent device close by. Some of you guys and your horror stories of critters liking the cowlings and fairings :)
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

TheMaverick wrote:Our benevolent overload posted on this very topic some time ago:
* Overlord

(wish posts could still be edited for a slightly longer period!)
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I start mine up every once in a while on warmer days and let it run until it is up to temperature plus another 5 minutes.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Once your bike goes to sleep, leave it alone don’t start it until you're ready to take it out in the spring. When you start a bike and let it idle for a few minutes you’re adding more condensation to the oil and not doing it any good. If you can take it out and run it for 20 minutes once a month that’s different. But don’t start and idle it. This has been gospel on all internal combustion engines going into storage.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Post by Sandymay »

Thanks everyone!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150

Post by homie »

Jge64 wrote:Once your bike goes to sleep, leave it alone don’t start it you’re adding condensation to the oil
Agreed... we don't fire them up until spring unless you plan an oil change at the start of the season.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Interesting. I be curious, why let air "out" of tires during winter's rest homie? I keep mine @ 29/F & 33/R. My bicycles are kept at spec too.

Haha! I used battery operated rodent deterrent stakes in Florida. Drove them in the ground along perimeter of my property and in garden beds to ward off those damn gopher's! Did they work? Only if they ran straight into them :lol: P.I T.Buttskees!!!

I keep an electric heater set up in the garage during the cold months.
You might consider plugging the hole in your exhaust's tail pipe, mice can squeeze in/get in just about anywhere.

Check out a product called Damp-Rid (Amazon, Home Depot, etc) for controlling moisture. Can buy in small pales, pouches, or hanging bags. I have the pail version set up in garage all the time. They work!!
Ok, I'm done.

What else ya got peeps?
Here's a question...Do you cover, or not cover your "precious," during storage?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

WhiteNoise wrote:Here's a question...Do you cover, or not cover your "precious," during storage?
Storage? What is this unfamiliar word that you use? :D
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

I'd roll it around a bit occasionally. It's not good for tyres to be sitting with one section in contact with the ground for long periods of time.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Mister Paul wrote:I'd roll it around a bit occasionally. It's not good for tyres to be sitting with one section in contact with the ground for long periods of time.
I think it's almost a given that it should be put on the center stand.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

TheMaverick wrote:
Mister Paul wrote:I'd roll it around a bit occasionally. It's not good for tyres to be sitting with one section in contact with the ground for long periods of time.
Yeah, but that still leaves the front.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Mister Paul wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:
Yeah, but that still leaves the front.
Only a tiny fraction of the original weight though - the pivot point moves forward dramatically when on the center stand.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I have a little dumb solar cell charger I put on the battery which is kind of silly because the sun hardly ever gets above the mountains in Hope when it is too icy to ride. It seems to work anyway.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:I have a little dumb solar cell charger I put on the battery which is kind of silly because the sun hardly ever gets above the mountains in Hope when it is too icy to ride. It seems to work anyway.

At least you've got hope. :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Mr. Paul...
I agree, no need to develope flat spots on tires ;) Leave bike up on center stand - rear tire is off the floor, (that's soo cool!) If you are physically capable, place yer hands on the front wheel and carefully spin it till you change it's resting position. No need to roll around :P Yeh!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

TheMaverick wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Here's a question...Do you cover, or not cover your "precious," during storage?
Storage? What is this unfamiliar word that you use? :D
Hardy Hahaha - HaH! :D
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015

Post by djbass »

In the winter I put the PCX in the garage on the center stand and cover with a cover from dust, the battery is not removed.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

djbass wrote:In the winter I put the PCX in the garage on the center stand and cover with a cover from dust, the battery is not removed.

Same just without the cover, that would just attract my cats.

It's just a scooter.