Dunlop vs. IRC ??

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Re: Dunlop vs. IRC ??

Post by alx123 »

@davenowherejones

sorry no idea about it.

I don't own a Forza btw, I have the 150.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

alx123 wrote:@TheMaverick

I trust the tires' wear bars will tell me when it's time to change. I might have exaggerated when I said it's not even half worn, but my tires are not due for replacement yet. Thanks for the heads up. Will keep a closer check on my tires again.
For what it's worth, here's what my tyre looked like after the rapid deflation. I should mention that neither the canvas patch (where the failure occurred) nor that lighter band were showing when I checked the pressure about a week before - they were both covered by rubber, but it was so thin that I didn't notice how close to the wind I was sailing. The tyre didn't look that "hollow" in the centre either (obviously it held a better shape with air in it). Even with the safety angle aside, I learned the hard way that the cost of having the dealer turn up with a truck to move the bike back to the shop far out-stripped the $$$ saved by trying to run my tyre that extra 4,000km.

I just want to encourage others not to make my stupid mistake by trying to push it too far; I suspect any tyre that's done over 10,000km is probably getting very vulnerable to punctures, and getting close to the "danger zone" (especially when many don't run a system like the FOBO to detect a slow puncture). After being lucky to survive 4 deflations in 2 years (3 on the road) it was starting to mess with my head in that my brain kept on telling me that the back was sliding again when it wasn't - took me quite a while to get over it. For me it's a hard 10,000km max limit for a rear on the PCX now.

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

There are the wear bars one can use for reference if your tire needed replacement. Usually tires will have arrows to tell you where the wear bars are. Once you've reach the wear bar or it's almost visible, it is a good time to change your tires.

This is my rear at 11,200 kms..
Attachments
P_20170731_095248-979x1305_1-734x978.jpg
P_20170731_095248-979x1305_1-734x978.jpg (143.06 KiB) Viewed 434 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

alx123 wrote:There are the wear bars one can use for reference if your tire needed replacement. Usually tires will have arrows to tell you where the wear bars are. Once you've reach the wear bar or it's almost visible, it is a good time to change your tires.
Mr. Chin you are very helpful, quick to use photo's for reference and it's good to have you membered. I'll take a break and go on vacation this weekend :D
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

alx123 wrote:There are the wear bars one can use for reference if your tire needed replacement. Usually tires will have arrows to tell you where the wear bars are. Once you've reach the wear bar or it's almost visible, it is a good time to change your tires.

This is my rear at 11,200 kms..
Is that a City Runner tyre? It certainly does look excellent for 11,200km. It would be interesting to know if others are getting high miles out of them as well; as I understand it they're a pricier tyre, but if they're going to go a lot further then obviously that makes them better value for money than some. We don't seem to be able to get them here in NZ - seems like we can only get a couple of tyres, and none are particularly exciting (but seem to go OK all the same)

I'm familiar with wear bars, but I'm wondering how reliable they are since they're usually positioned part way around the "arc" of the tread and therefore it seems to me that the reliability of the indication may possibly depend on riding style. I would think that someone who spends a lot of time with little leaning would wear the centre of the tyre (ie the dangerous part) more quickly before the wear bars had a chance to "catch up". They may do a better job on that type of tyre though -- I just remember checking mine and didn't think they looked as relevant.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Theyre the IRC that came with the bike. SS560 ?

I believe there are two wear bars indicator one is for the center and another one is for the sides. I'll take a look again.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

alx123 wrote:Theyre the IRC that came with the bike. SS560 ?

I believe there are two wear bars indicator one is for the center and another one is for the sides. I'll take a look again.
THanks - I'm quite curious. Is that a centre groove in the tyre? - I've only ever seen that on front tyres; we're talking rear tyres here?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Here's another shot of my rear tire showing both wear bars (center and side). It's barely noticeable but it's there and will become more visible once you wore your tire significantly.

@TheMaverick

Treads overlapping in the middle, but no center tread like the one in front.
Attachments
P_20170801_113950_1-612x816.jpg
P_20170801_113950_1-612x816.jpg (104.38 KiB) Viewed 389 times
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

alx123 wrote:Here's another shot of my rear tire showing both wear bars (center and side). It's barely noticeable but it's there and will become more visible once you wore your tire significantly.

@TheMaverick

Treads overlapping in the middle, but no center tread like the one in front.
Ah - bingo. Thanks for that - couldn't quite get my head around the perspective of the first photo. Looks like a nice tyre - wish I had more choice over here in New Zealand