Centre stand

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Centre stand

Post by Sandymay »

Is there a trick to applying the centre stand? The Honda dealer showed me, but try as I might I can't do it. I can stand on the tip of the stand with all my weight and it won't budge.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Centre stand

Post by homie »

Yes there is a right way and it requires no upper body strength at all. I will look for a video for you.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

This guy has got it right

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

OK, we know you are tall and skinny. Does my having 180 pounds help me get the scooter on its stand? Yes but only if both legs of the stand are on the ground. I can not do it with only one stand leg down. The scooter can't be leaning.

I am short, five foot six, I sometimes have trouble getting it off the stand if the scooter is facing uphill. You also need room in front of the scooter. I got myself stuck where there was no room for the scooter to roll forward. That was awkward.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Smaller guys like me (140 pounds) need to give it a little pull ,using the passenger hand rail, while putting my weight on the stand.

Never had any problem though.

Getting off is easy, i just sit on the scoot and lunges it forward with a little leg push help.

No room or uphill? Use the side stand.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Thanks everyone for all your useful comments and that video was very informative. Yes, I am skinny and the bike outweighs me by nearly 300lbs....lol.

That being said, I'm determined to master this, and will keep trying. 8)

Absolutely love this bike.....was a bit intimidating when I took delivery (finally) yesterday, as it was a lot bigger than I remembered. I think it's like choosing a Christmas tree in the forest, it looks small with all the other trees until you get it home....lol.

It is a lot bigger than the Honda Grom I got my license on, but after scooting around my neighbourhood I'm getting comfortable on it. I'm sure that will increase as time goes on.
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

The Grom is tiny! and I am skinnier than you, I think. I had a Kymco Xciting 300R 2 years ago, which is comparable to your Forza 300 in terms of weight. I was a complete newbie then, and initially, I also couldn't use the centre stand. After a while, I figured it out, but still needed a lot of effort every time I did it. Hope you'll be happier than I was with a 300cc bike.
ImageImageImage
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Thanks Ratio. Did you downsize to a PCX? I originally was going to get one, but then Honda put the Forza on sale for a great price, so I took the plunge and got the Forza instead.. I am getting used to it rather quickly with about a hour riding time.

Purchased it in April, and wasn't able to take delivery until yesterday, due to insurance only insuring me with my M2. Long story....lol
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

My story was that I was waiting for the then new PCX 2015 to arrive and ready for purchase in my tiny country. Our only Honda agent was trying to clear older 2013 model units first, but I was sure I would regret buying the 2013 model, so was willing to wait. Expecting a lengthy wait, I scoured the used motorcycle market (very tiny) for a temporary scooter and ended up with a Kymco 300cc. I rode it most days for about a year. When I finally got the PCX, it was a breath of fresh air. I feel if I were to upsize my bike, I need to upsize my body strength first. lol.

Anyway, glad to hear you're liking your new scooter.
ImageImageImage
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

I was having trouble getting my Silver Wing (522 lbs.) on the center stand due to having a torn right bicep muscle. Went to the big blue store, got an 8" length of 1 1/4" galvanized pipe, slipped it over the foot peg on the center stand for leverage. Now, the bike goes up on the stand with very little effort on my part.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

GeezyRider wrote:I was having trouble getting my Silver Wing (522 lbs.) on the center stand due to having a torn right bicep muscle. Went to the big blue store, got an 8" length of 1 1/4" galvanized pipe, slipped it over the foot peg on the center stand for leverage. Now, the bike goes up on the stand with very little effort on my part.

Is that OK for cornering or do you remove it?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

GeezyRider wrote:got an 8" length of 1 1/4" galvanized pipe, slipped it over the foot peg on the center stand for leverage
Plus it's handily accessed in a spontaneous protest riot :lol:
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

That video says it all. It's a simple technique and after doing it once you'll find it easy. I'm short and not very strong but have no trouble setting the scoot on the centre stand.

There is another video floating around on Youtube showing a Japanese guy teaching his wife and young son how to put their scoot on the stand. His wife is tiny and probably weighs about 90pounds dripping wet. She gets it right second try. :) :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Yep, I'm sure all you guys and girls can work the C-stand. I don't trust it on angled surfaces unless you can face the bike uphill, but then it's difficult to get it off the C-stand.
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

I point my toes facing the rear of the bike with the inside of my foot facing the bike. This way your body is facing the bike for better balance and you can rotate your foot as the stand goes down. Try it this way you might like it.
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Thanks I give that a try 8)
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

you you wrote:
GeezyRider wrote:I was having trouble getting my Silver Wing (522 lbs.) on the center stand due to having a torn right bicep muscle. Went to the big blue store, got an 8" length of 1 1/4" galvanized pipe, slipped it over the foot peg on the center stand for leverage. Now, the bike goes up on the stand with very little effort on my part.

Is that OK for cornering or do you remove it?
:D

I do remove it and wrap it in a small towel for storage under the seat.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

Hey Sandymay,

Sorry to be late getting in on this; I've been out of town with no computer for a week (a pleasant change, actually).

BMW motorcycles are notoriously difficult to get up on the center stand, so an old Beemer trick (or, more accurately, a trick for old Beemer riders) is to roll the rear wheel up onto a piece of 1" lumber, like a scrap 1x4 or 1x6 or piece of shelving. The net effect of this move is that the lift is already half done before you put your foot into it. It's easy to do and really helps a lot.

Some Beemer riders have even been known to carry one of these things in their bags when touring, though generally people only use the centerstand at home to check their lights or air their tires.

Good to hear you finally got your scooter home. :)

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Thanks Johnny....that's a great idea....I'll have to give it a try. :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The first bike that I had to deal with the center stand on was my Burgman 400. I wrestled with it for about 10 minutes but finally asked the service manager at the dealer how to do it correctly.
The first thing he told me was to always make sure that BOTH legs of the center stand are touching the floor before you do any movement. He put his foot on the lever and rocked the bike sideways a little to show me that both sides were holding the weight equally. If they are contacting the floor the bike won't rock sideways , which is what you want...that is, you want it stable so that it will not rock sideways.
Then you put your right foot on the lever with the toe of your right foot facing the rear of the bike. Put your right hand under the passenger hand hold and your left hand on the handlebar. Then put your weight on the lever while rocking the bike back. The two actions of stepping on the lever with all of your weight while rocking the bike back should be enough for it to move the bike up onto the stand.
The video shows how it should be done. I am just verbalizing the action. With all of the information on this thread you should be able to get the job done. Then, just practice. If you still have problems doing it, go to a dealer and ask for help. I am sure someone will gladly help you.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers