How stable is the Forza

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

How stable is the Forza

Post by Sandymay »

Did I make a mistake getting it as my first bike? I'm worried about dropping it now.

I do not have any friends or family with a bike, so the only way I can get my license is to keep taking the M1 exit course, for seat time and experience....I've taken it three times now, (past three weekends)...learning on Honda Titans, and have dropped the titan three times, twice on my first weekend , and once yesterday during a stop in heavy rain.

I can't take delivery of my Forza until I get my M2, as the only way I can get insurance is with that license. The insurance companies won't insure me with my M1, even though I've had my G license with a clean record for over 30 years.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sandy
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: How stable is the Forza

Post by fish »

Sandymay wrote:Did I make a mistake getting it as my first bike? I'm worried about dropping it now.

I do not have any friends or family with a bike, so the only way I can get my license is to keep taking the M1 exit course, for seat time and experience....I've taken it three times now, (past three weekends)...learning on Honda Titans, and have dropped the titan three times, twice on my first weekend , and once yesterday during a stop in heavy rain.

I can't take delivery of my Forza until I get my M2, as the only way I can get insurance is with that license. The insurance companies won't insure me with my M1, even though I've had my G license with a clean record for over 30 years.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sandy
Is your new Forza an ABS model?
I found the Forza to be quite easy to ride in city traffic the day I rode it off of the dealer's lot. It has a pleasantly low center of gravity.
Nevertheless, I would hope you do not take delivery of any new ride until you have demonstrated to yourself some degree of mastery at two wheel riding. Riding in traffic requires you full attention....your scooter handling needs to be almost second nature by then.
Being frightened by your lack of skills...while riding in traffic is not a good combination!
Try talking this whole issue over with a skilled instructor.
Good luck.
Fish
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Firstly I don't understand why you have to have any kind of licensing to purchase a motorcycle . What if you intended it as a gift or buying it for your 140 acre farm never to be used on public roads..just private.
At any rate, ask the dealer if you could test ride it around the lot if its big enough.Why are you dropping the bikes you are practicing on?? Are they two heavy ?? are you too small, short, etc. Need more information for this discussion , but like FISH stated above perhaps a good riding course would be helpful.
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

I am taking the College M1 exit course, and getting seat time on their bikes. Been doing this for the last three weekends.
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Yes, it's the 2016 ABS model.

Is your new Forza an ABS model?
I found the Forza to be quite easy to ride in city traffic the day I rode it off of the dealer's lot. It has a pleasantly low center of gravity.
Nevertheless, I would hope you do not take delivery of any new ride until you have demonstrated to yourself some degree of mastery at two wheel riding. Riding in traffic requires you full attention....your scooter handling needs to be almost second nature by then.
Being frightened by your lack of skills...while riding in traffic is not a good combination!
Try talking this whole issue over with a skilled instructor.
Good luck.
Fish
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

easyrider wrote:Firstly I don't understand why you have to have any kind of licensing to purchase a motorcycle . What if you intended it as a gift or buying it for your 140 acre farm never to be used on public roads..just private.
At any rate, ask the dealer if you could test ride it around the lot if its big enough.Why are you dropping the bikes you are practicing on?? Are they two heavy ?? are you too small, short, etc. Need more information for this discussion , but like FISH stated above perhaps a good riding course would be helpful.
I don't need my license to purchase, just to insure and plate. :)
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

Sandymay,

I don't think you made a mistake and I think the Forza would be an excellent first bike. They're very useful for transporting things like groceries and books, much more so than a motorcycle, especially if you add a topcase. I think the Forza handles just as well as the PCX at low speeds (I have both -- long story) and it's much more stable at highway speeds. It's true that the Forza is a little on the heavy side compared to many other scoots, but that's only a problem while pushing and parking and using the centerstand. Once underway, the extra heft works to your advantage.

I also think it's good that you've dropped the Honda Titan (we don't have them in the states so I'm not familiar with that model) three times already and that it hasn't dissuaded you from your goal. Falling off the bike is unfortunately the most effective way to learn what not to do at low speeds, and that special feeling you get when that happens tends to fine-tune your sense memory in parking lots.

So I say good choice, stick with it, and keep that positive attitude.

Best,

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

What exactly is the maneuver that you are executing, that you dropped the bike three times?
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Hi Sandy, I am in BC, Canada. What is a Honda Titan? I have never heard of that model in Canada?

How tall are you? I am 5 foot 6 and ride a Honda Forza 300. The Forza is a very heavy scooter. I got mine because an Asian person dropped it in a parking lot and damaged it. Repairing the plastics is expensive. Tall people have no idea what the problems are for short people on motorcycles.

How old are you? I am 58 and getting weaker every year. If I ride any longer I am going to turn into a girl, so weak. I would suggest you start on a USED Honda Ruckus or USED 49cc scooter until you develop the balance and reflexes. Store the Forza until then.

What is the Ontario licensing requirement for a 49cc scooter?

I started riding in 1982. My Honda Forza 300 now has 50.000 km on it. I ride it often.
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

What are the instructors saying you are doing wrong? I would ask for a quick one on one for some tips.

Google says the Honda CG150 Titan ES (never heard of it) has 31.2" seat height. This is probably the reason for dropping it if you are shorter. The Forza's 28.2" seat height and low centre of gravity should be easier to hold up at stops. The advantage of a scooter is the rear brake is on the handlebar so you can use both feet when stopped/stopping.

This your practice bike? Honda CG150 Titan
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Sandymay wrote:
easyrider wrote:Firstly I don't understand why you have to have any kind of licensing to purchase a motorcycle . What if you intended it as a gift or buying it for your 140 acre farm never to be used on public roads..just private.
Well then just have someone deliver it to your residence, and once home you could practice in some safe area, back roads , parking lot etc. Easy does it little by little.I thought you said that they would not give it to you unless you had a license and insurance,my misunderstanding.What is you height ?? That could be the problem.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I had my PCX delivered by the dealer as I'd never ridden one. My trainer bike was a Honda 110cc Dio. It only took one ride to feel comfortable.

The Forza is a heavier bike but I believe it has a lower seat height than the PCX and you need to keep it reasonably upright, or gravity takes over, as it does with any bike. This is a bigger problem for short people as you tend to lean over more when stopping. Try putting one foot down when stopping, to keep the bike more upright.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I am an experienced rider but short. I usually put both feet down but balance the Forza with just my toe nails touching down. Sometimes I can get more down if the tire track is depressed a bit.

I like the Forza because I use my feet only to hold me up, no left foot shifting or right foot brake needed.
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

montliz44 wrote:Sandymay,

I don't think you made a mistake and I think the Forza would be an excellent first bike. They're very useful for transporting things like groceries and books, much more so than a motorcycle, especially if you add a topcase. I think the Forza handles just as well as the PCX at low speeds (I have both -- long story) and it's much more stable at highway speeds. It's true that the Forza is a little on the heavy side compared to many other scoots, but that's only a problem while pushing and parking and using the centerstand. Once underway, the extra heft works to your advantage.

I also think it's good that you've dropped the Honda Titan (we don't have them in the states so I'm not familiar with that model) three times already and that it hasn't dissuaded you from your goal. Falling off the bike is unfortunately the most effective way to learn what not to do at low speeds, and that special feeling you get when that happens tends to fine-tune your sense memory in parking lots.

So I say good choice, stick with it, and keep that positive attitude.

Best,

Johnny
Thanks Johnny for your encouraging words.

I definitely won't be giving up. I've wanted to ride forever.
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Jge64 wrote:What exactly is the maneuver that you are executing, that you dropped the bike three times?
Slow speed maneuvers and stopping in heavy rain. The course happens rain or shine, and so far I've trained in 35c degree weather, severe thunderstorms, hail and tornado warnings. A nice cool sunny day would be a welcomed event.

Going training again today and we have heavy rain and severe thunderstorms in the forecast.....already paid, so I need to go.
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

davenowherejones wrote:Hi Sandy, I am in BC, Canada. What is a Honda Titan? I have never heard of that model in Canada?

How tall are you? I am 5 foot 6 and ride a Honda Forza 300. The Forza is a very heavy scooter. I got mine because an Asian person dropped it in a parking lot and damaged it. Repairing the plastics is expensive. Tall people have no idea what the problems are for short people on motorcycles.

How old are you? I am 58 and getting weaker every year. If I ride any longer I am going to turn into a girl, so weak. I would suggest you start on a USED Honda Ruckus or USED 49cc scooter until you develop the balance and reflexes. Store the Forza until then.

What is the Ontario licensing requirement for a 49cc scooter?

I started riding in 1982. My Honda Forza 300 now has 50.000 km on it. I ride it often.
Hi Dave,

I'm 59, and tall for a woman at 5' 10". I'm also very slender. I think my main problem with the Titan was its performance in 1st gear....it's an older bike, and wouldn't keep running in first, unless you give it gas. Tricky for a novice to give the bike enough gas not to stall, and at the same time brake smoothly etc. I think my biggest handicap now is my fear of falling again. Muscle memory can bite....lol.

On Monday I was training on a Honda Grom....world of difference. It was responsive, didn't need to warm up too long, no choke....and FUN....I'm hopeful to continue training on it, as I can handle it much better and am way more confident on it.
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:What are the instructors saying you are doing wrong? I would ask for a quick one on one for some tips.

Google says the Honda CG150 Titan ES (never heard of it) has 31.2" seat height. This is probably the reason for dropping it if you are shorter. The Forza's 28.2" seat height and low centre of gravity should be easier to hold up at stops. The advantage of a scooter is the rear brake is on the handlebar so you can use both feet when stopped/stopping.

I fell the first two times three weeks ago at a different course, which I was very disappointed in the teaching. It was through Riders Training Institute. I'm now taking my courses through Georgian College and the teaching is 100% better. I didn't fall the past two weeks, but managed to fall coming to a spot on Sunday, during my M1 exit test. I was coming to a stop, in heavy rain, stopping in a puddle and think I used too much front brake and the bike lost its traction.
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:What are the instructors saying you are doing wrong? I would ask for a quick one on one for some tips.

Yes that's the beast. :)
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

easyrider wrote:
Sandymay wrote:
Well then just have someone deliver it to your residence, and once home you could practice in some safe area, back roads , parking lot etc. Easy does it little by little.I thought you said that they would not give it to you unless you had a license and insurance,my misunderstanding.What is you height ?? That could be the problem.
I have purchased, but I need it insured before delivery, and my household insurance won't cover it. And I really don't want it here without insurance, as I don't want it stolen, or if I happen to ride it in parking lots back roads etc, and something bad happened, that's my driving license, hefty fines, possible law suits etc.
Scarlett
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by Scarlett »

Hi Sandy
I feel for you! I am 56 at 5' 2" and I started riding about a year ago. My husband bought me a nice used Reflex which weighs about 375 pounds. We live on private roads alot of them gravel. I started practicing like crazy. I dropped the bike several times, got scraped up some and also practiced at a school parking lot. Then I took a course on a Honda Metropolitan. After I got my endorsement I decided I wanted something lighter so got a PCX 150. My husband rides the Reflex now. I hope to ride a forza someday but pushing the Reflex around wasnt easy and the Forza is much heavier than that. However my sister rides a Silverwing and she is 4' 10". I guess where there is a will there's a way! Good luck!