Why do I get better MPG when it is hot?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Re: Why do I get better MPG when it is hot?

Post by aguim »

I also use km/l, stopped using mpg when I discovered it showed 'low' US numbers hahaha.

Our latitudes may be more or less the same, but not the microclimates. Here I think is generally
rather colder, mostly in the mornings.

I have moved thrice in the last few years (the Hell's Angels are after me, so I won't elaborate
--blink,blink.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

aguim wrote:I also use km/l, stopped using mpg when I discovered it showed 'low' US numbers hahaha.
As a member of the Commonwealth, did Canadia use British miles before your forceful conversion to the metric system?
I find it strange you guys still use some imperial, say for food and drink, etc...

Our government use L/100km for economy ratings on all vehicles, so my mind is conditioned to work that way.
Funnily enough, due to it's ubiquity, MPG is easier to translate in my mind than km/L. :?
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

Our generation was imperial-impregnated, no way one can get out of this. I still adjust valves using
thousandths of an inch, was never quite able to grasp them fractions of mm. I have friends who
pretend to, think they're lying to my face.

Soon enough, nobody will remember them imperials, though.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

There's two things the French did very well: Système international d'unités ...and radiation. :geek:
There's no fractions of mm's. Just beautiful harmonious decimal units based on 10/100/1000.
Goodbye, bushels and furlongs. I guess you can still uses inches to measure your dick, dunno. :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

chicaboo wrote:There's two things the French did very well: Système international d'unités ...and radiation. :geek:
There's no fractions of mm's. Just beautiful harmonious decimal units based on 10/100/1000.
Goodbye, bushels and furlongs. I guess you can still uses inches to measure your dick, dunno. :lol:

You can still have fractions of mms. One fifth of a mm is 0.2mm.

Still use grains for reloading...
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Native metric users don't use fractions, as the system is based around 10s.
Liken it to money. You don't say you have a $1,1/5. You have a $1.20. It's just not cricket, otherwise. :lol:
I've noticed grains used on the gun channels on YouTube. I had never heard of grains before that.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

Chicaboo darling,

One tenth of a mm equals the depth of your knowledge. I have trouble figuring out .01mm, but
not .004". Get it?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

As it does your demeanour. I was just giving my $1/50... No need to be a filthy shit. :|
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

'Demeanour' sounds a bit imperial to my taste. Metric would be 'behavior'. But poets
don't give a damn, isn't it.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Alrighty then! Can we chill please? Stop this banter else this thread goes dark.
Geez....I'm back in school, Ya'll make me feel I am and that wasn't the Best part of it.
Stop the criticizing and name calling.
Get it???
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

chicaboo wrote:Native metric users don't use fractions, as the system is based around 10s.
Liken it to money. You don't say you have a $1,1/5. You have a $1.20. It's just not cricket, otherwise. :lol:
I've noticed grains used on the gun channels on YouTube. I had never heard of grains before that.

7,000 to the lb apparently :D
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Yep, When I refill my Scion xB in the warmer weather, the dash says I have 312 mile range - and @290 in the winter.
Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

In a car I always thought it was because it took longer to get up to its working temperature.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Very easy to answer. All internal combustion engines are more efficient in hot weather. Less of the fuel's energy is wasted in heating up the incoming air.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

sendler2112 wrote:Very easy to answer. All internal combustion engines are more efficient in hot weather. Less of the fuel's energy is wasted in heating up the incoming air.
Alleluja, at last. "heating up the incoming air" Also the engine, oil and surrounding environment.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Hmmmm.. the hotter the intake temperature the less efficient a 4-stroke will be as the air density is reduced and therefore the amount of oxygen per charge.

Fuel is wasted when the engine is cold due to heat conduction and the necessary richer AFR until i the engine reaches its operating temperature.

That overall condition such as wind and rain when it is cold doesn't help either.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

...so looks like best POWER is with warmed up engine + moderately cold intake air (the IAT sensor
then adjusts the injector opening duration proper to the denser cold air). But best MPG is
with moderately hotter, less dense intake air, requiring less fuel.

The difference in power can hardly be felt with a 300cc engine, though. On my Forza, the mileage difference is about 5 km/l.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Normally aspirated engines make more peak power with cold intake air because they can breath in a denser air/ fuel charge. But it is not more efficient if part of that heat is used to heat up the cold air. And cold air and rain is more dense to ride through, so more drag.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

sendler2112 wrote:Normally aspirated engines make more peak power with cold intake air because they can breath in a denser air/ fuel charge. But it is not more efficient if part of that heat is used to heat up the cold air. And cold air and rain is more dense to ride through, so more drag.
Well thats it, I am never riding in the rain again.

Dave
Wet Coast of Canada
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

The Forza 300 gets strange mpg. I did the Duffy Lake loop yesterday. Hope, BC to Squamish via Vancouver gave a calculated 76.8 miles per Canadian gallon. This was all highway at 100 to 120 kmph.

Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton to Lillooet gave me 94.8 mpg. This included highway, climbing up a few thousand feet, following a bus at slow speeds and then descending a few thousand feet.

Lillooet, Lytton, Fraser Canyon back to Hope gave me 83.5 mpg.

The ride was 592 kilometers long and had numerous bathroom breaks. I hate those camping outhouse pit toilets. And you don't want to hear what happened when I had zipper problems in Yale.

Some lady just stopped on the highway and then 90 degree turned into a park where she had missed her exit. A dumb blonde in a Lexus. I followed her and gave her a wtf speech.

I had several group rides come up behind me. I just pull over and wave them past. I pull over a lot with the Forza, it just is not a fast motorcycle.

One group passed me and I saw them later doing a repair on a big descent. I saw them again in Lillooet. The guy on the ER6N (Kawasaki naked Ninja 600) had grabbed the front brakes too hard and fell off. The off the side of the road was at least a 1000 feet down. He stayed on the road. Not too much damage to the bike, scrapes.

I only had a little rain from Yale to Hope. I even took my rain jacket off for part of the ride.

People did a lot of stupid things around me. Sometimes I wish I had some red & blue lights to tell them how stupid they were. I am sure glad I am not a police officer.

I hear the Hells Angels are in town so I am leaving. Any excuse to ride the Forza.