City grips vs. OEM dunlops

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

idontwantaname1234
Year: 2014
Color: Red

City grips vs. OEM dunlops

Post by idontwantaname1234 »

Hi all,

Just about to hit 9k miles on my 2014 forza.

Currently, I have the stock dunlops on it. I replaced the back tire at about 5k miles. At 10k or so, I'll be replacing both front and back. The front still looks ok, but not great, but should last another 1k. (I do very little braking on my commute!)

I've been searching around for prices and the different tires that fit.

It seems the best price I can find on the OEM dunlops are from partzilla for $151.42 for both tires.
For the city grips: $104.13 through revzilla. (Note: the rear are 150/70-13... from other threads, many people seem to say these will fit. True?)

I'm planning on going the citygrips simply because they are $50 cheaper and most reviews I have seen rate them similarly.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of each tire? Is there another tire that anyone suggests? What about wear? Is there somewhere else I should look to potentially find a better price?

Last, how much does it typically cost to get tires installed? Just want to make sure I don't get ripped off, haha.

Thanks all.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: City grips vs. OEM dunlops

Post by homie »

You should be happy with the City Grips, they work great on PCX so why not Forza. Instead of going to the traditional cycle service center I found a local Goodyear to have the equipment that scaled down small enough to successfully swap them out if you take the wheels off yourself. The experienced mechanic saw the work as easy enough and only wanted my future automotive business so I don't have a cost to quote but obviously not their bread and butter moneymaker service. You have GoodYear tire in Kansas i'm sure... Good luck!
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

My honda dealer charged me $60 to install the rear tire last year, but I didn't buy the tire from them. I think the price would have been $40 if I had bought the tire from them.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

waybar wrote:My honda dealer charged me $60 to install the rear tire last year, but I didn't buy the tire from them. I think the price would have been $40 if I had bought the tire from them.
60 bucks?? I guess you had them remove the wheel from the bike, dismount the old tire and then remount a new tire plus balancing and disposal then reinstall the wheel on the bike ??I guess that's reasonable considering 1/2 hr labor costs plus plus?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Oh yea, I wasn't looking for balancing (I use tire beads) I was just looking for a careful person so no scratches. Might have just been lucky, maybe pay the dealer and be safe.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

My dealer in Chilliwack, BC, Canada charged me $48 CANADIAN useless dollars to put on a Michelin Power Pure tire on the rear. I took in the wheel only. It is a $30 round trip in the 4x4. I think it was snowing at the time.

He also replaced a valve stem because I wanted a shorter one for my FOBO TPMS. The TMPS was too fat and hit on the swingarm of my Forza 300. Even with the shorter valve stem I had to grind about 2 mm off a corner of the case of the belt.

I have been using Ride-On sealant but I think I need a little more for balancing.

The City Grips were about the same as the OEM Dunlop's performance wise. It is a low power scooter not a racing machine. I could not get a City Grip when I needed one so I am trying the Power Pure. The Power Pure has a hard centre strip which seems to spin too easy in mud or loose gravel or snow or ice. It works fine in the rain.

Enough of this bs, I am going mountain riding in the rain. I try to go around the rock falls.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The 4000 foot level was only 2C raining but down in Hope it is 12C sunny at 135 feet above sea level. Tires were fine all the way.
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

idontwantaname1234 wrote:Hi all,

Last, how much does it typically cost to get tires installed? Just want to make sure I don't get ripped off, haha.

Thanks all.
I just ordered a new front Dunlop from my Honda dealer...$66.93 plus tax. Old one has 12,350 miles on it and it's almost down to the wear bars...maybe another 500 miles. I have a 150/70-13 Dunlop on the read...it now has about 6000 miles on iy and looks good still!

The dealer says they will mount a tire bought from them for $25....whether you bring in just the old wheel/tire or ride the bike in (think this is a special, limited time deal). Not sure what they'd charge if you bought the tire else where. I have a friend who has a motorcycle shop and last time I brought my wheel/tire in for a new one (bought from him) he charged abought $40, including balancing. $40 has seemed kind of expensive to me, but he did have to buy the changer and balancer equipment. I've changed tires myself using big c-clamps and tire irons...and it's a big pain in the rear!
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

easyrider wrote:
waybar wrote:My honda dealer charged me $60 to install the rear tire last year, but I didn't buy the tire from them. I think the price would have been $40 if I had bought the tire from them.
60 bucks?? I guess you had them remove the wheel from the bike, dismount the old tire and then remount a new tire plus balancing and disposal then reinstall the wheel on the bike ??I guess that's reasonable considering 1/2 hr labor costs plus plus?
Yep had them do the whole works. It's a little expensive, but they have 2 good mechanics at my honda dealership that don't screw up everything and I want to make sure the job is done right. My life is worth more than a few dollars and I don't have the equipment to do it myself. I've heard of others here that have had their body panels tore up by their dealers when taking the body panels off, that doesn't happen at my honda dealer.
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

The original dunlops dont last as long as the michelin city grip , but the dunlops have better grip even 90 % worn compared to the michelin city grip at 65% worn , i had the michelin city grips on a honda sh 150 and it was great ,but on the forza 300, im constantly breaking loose the rear tire on a standing start on wet roads or driving over painted lines , also in parking lots driving on painted lines the back tire will kick out ,thats at slow speeds and dry painted lines without giving lots of throttle ,maybe 1/4 throttle , im not happy with the michelin city grips im going back to the dunlops scootsmart never had any grip issues with the dunlops . As you know this is a one cylinder 279 cc engine around 26 hp , and mine is all stock , so for the rear tire to break loose i think the traction is poor on the michelin city grip , it was good when new but once its 45-50 % worn it becomes dangerous . I had my first wipe out with the loss of traction at 40 kph with this city grip after driving 40 years of motorcycles , the bike had minor scratches that i buffed out , the bike landed on me and i ended up with a broken colar bone( metal plate and 8 screws ) Picked up the bike and drove home . And 3 weeks later i was riding again ! So i would have to say i dont recomend the city grips tires unless you replace them when 50% worn .
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Strange, I never had any problems with the City Grips even when they were down at the wear bars. I've had several sets of City Grips.

How OLD are you? Are you a very light person? I don't think I have ever broken any tires loose on my Forza except on ice, gravel or mud. My Forza just isn't that powerful. Hit oil on the road one day but it was really heavy from a blown truck.

I had a fractured collar bone from a rock that came off a truck while we were doing 120 kmph. That was not fun.

I think there was probably more to the story than just worn tires. I have also been riding a long time and lots of distances with a few different kinds of motorcycles.

When I fractured my arm with new tires it was not really the tires fault. I was riding on loose rock up a hill and watching girls do jumps. I got too slow and fell over but the girls were interesting.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

davenowherejones wrote:Strange, I never had any problems with the City Grips even when they were down at the wear bars. I've had several sets of City Grips.

How OLD are you? Are you a very light person? I don't think I have ever broken any tires loose on my Forza except on ice, gravel or mud. My Forza just isn't that powerful. Hit oil on the road one day but it was really heavy from a blown truck.

I had a fractured collar bone from a rock that came off a truck while we were doing 120 kmph. That was not fun.

I think there was probably more to the story than just worn tires. I have also been riding a long time and lots of distances with a few different kinds of motorcycles.

When I fractured my arm with new tires it was not really the tires fault. I was riding on loose rock up a hill and watching girls do jumps. I got too slow and fell over but the girls were interesting.
Gotta agree about the City Grips. Never an issue with them no matter how worn. They come with very deep rain grooves...if those are gone they become like any other past-safety tire in heavy rain.
Breaking traction is usually rider error. Slow down, judge the surface, think with throttle hand and steering.
40 yrs or 4 weeks - principals and physics are the same.
Just my impression. ....everyone has right to his opinion. Sorry for your off.
Fish
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

Just a thought, give the Pirelli Diablo Scooter tire a try. Terrific road feel, the bike wants to flick side to side with them. Everything is easier with these tires, soft, comfortable. No negatives.
:geek:
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Due to unavailability of City Grips in Oz, I've been running the Pirelli Diablos for the past 3 months and find them a great replacement for the original IRCs. Definitely a softer compound and feel a lot more precise on corners.

Probably won't last as long, but a definite improvement for my style of riding (old fart style mostly, with a bit of WOT included). :D :D
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

JohnL wrote:Due to unavailability of City Grips in Oz, I've been running the Pirelli Diablos for the past 3 months and find them a great replacement for the original IRCs. Definitely a softer compound and feel a lot more precise on corners.

Probably won't last as long, but a definite improvement for my style of riding (old fart style mostly, with a bit of WOT included). :D :D
Do you have a PCX or a Forza? I think the PCX came with the IRC but the Forza had a Dunlop Scootsmart which only Honda dealers sell (If they can get them or want put an effort into getting).

I like Michelin for durability, Pirelli were nice on my 49cc Yamaha BWS.
pja2536
Color: BLACK

Post by pja2536 »

idontwantaname1234 wrote:Hi all,

I'm planning on going the citygrips simply because they are $50 cheaper and most reviews I have seen rate them similarly.

Thanks all.
Hi! idontwantaname1234,

If its not too late have a look at Sava brand tyres. I switched from Dunlops (rubbish) to Pirellis and next time to Sava.

Regards,
Peter
Peter Anderson & Co.

"HE HAD offices in Sydney, not so many years ago,
And his shingle bore the legend 'Peter Anderson and Co.',
But his real name was Careless, as the fellows understood-
And his relatives decided that he wasn't any good."

Henry Lawson, August, 1895
pja2536
Color: BLACK

Post by pja2536 »

JohnL wrote:Due to unavailability of City Grips in Oz, I've been running the Pirelli Diablos for the past 3 months and find them a great replacement for the original IRCs. Definitely a softer compound and feel a lot more precise on corners.

JohnL,

My experience is quite the opposite. The Pirellis have lasted much better than the OEM Dunlops, probably twice the life by the time I have to replace them. Then I will try Sava; see http://www.savatyres.com.au/Home.html and http://www.savatyres.com.au

Regards,
Peter
Peter Anderson & Co.

"HE HAD offices in Sydney, not so many years ago,
And his shingle bore the legend 'Peter Anderson and Co.',
But his real name was Careless, as the fellows understood-
And his relatives decided that he wasn't any good."

Henry Lawson, August, 1895
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by MBMyer »

At 4600 miles my stock rear Dunlop was practically bald, and I never liked the way it felt on a curve in the rain. With just over 1400 miles on the City Grip replacement, I'm liking it a whole lot more than the Dunny.
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring