Recall letter number five...?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Recall letter number five...?

Post by gn2 »

Traded my Forza on the 1st of March and today yet another recall notice landed on my doorstep, I think that was the fifth one I've had, could be more, I've lost count and gave up caring long ago.

Something to do with the fuel pump again, that's the third fuel pump recall I've had.

Can't see me ever being tempted to buy another Honda.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Recall letter number five...?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Traded my Forza on the 1st of March and today yet another recall notice landed on my doorstep, I think that was the fifth one I've had, could be more, I've lost count and gave up caring long ago.

Something to do with the fuel pump again, that's the third fuel pump recall I've had.

Can't see me ever being tempted to buy another Honda.
You should do. Honda reliability is renowned.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

I have checked with Honda, and there's no such thing as a third fuel pump recall. Give us the
recall number and relevant information, will you.

BTW, I've seen a picture of your self-damaged scooter somewhere here. You are the one to be
recalled imo.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

aguim wrote:I have checked with Honda, and there's no such thing as a third fuel pump recall. Give us the

BTW, I've seen a picture of your self-damaged scooter somewhere here. You are the one to be
recalled imo.

Rood
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

aguim wrote:I have checked with Honda, and there's no such thing as a third fuel pump recall. Give us the
Can't I'm afraid, the letter was torn up and thrown in the bin.
aguim wrote:BTW, I've seen a picture of your self-damaged scooter somewhere here. You are the one to be
recalled imo.
Self damaged?
All I ever did was ride it, the shit quality componentry and finish were not down to me.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

You can check for any recalls that may be pending on the Honda UK motorcycles website. I've just checked my Forza and there are no outstanding recalls to be done - it already has had two of the fuel pump recalls done.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

Honda has had a reputation for building the most reliable machines for decades, and generally
stands by its products. In decades of owning about 20 Hondas, I can't remember one failing on
me.

Hmmm...but just in case of ethanol poisoning...think I'm going to haul a spare one...

The original went 13,000 km without any problem-running on super only as I HATE ethanol.

Also: the fuel pump change is NOT as tricky as some said. I had heard horror stories of
broken plastics/leaking seals, but found the job very easy + uncomplicated (well, I had already
practiced the 'plastics' part of it, no big deal...second time out).
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Honda's long history of rushing out under developed bikes is well documented.
Never buy a new model of Honda, give it a couple of years for the gremlins to be ironed out.
Even their flagship models can be problematic, engine swaps on VFR1200s are not uncommon.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

I'd rather not rush to buy a new model from ANY manufacturer. Modern machines are so complicated
nobody can be trusted to make them 100% right, first time out. As to the Forza, its engine has proven
its reliability after years of european SH 300 usage, another Honda total success.

I have seen reliability issues, through the years, with ALL manufacturers- mostly due to the
competitive rush to get their products on the market. This said, I'd rather buy a Honda, eyes closed, than anything else: Honda has had its share of bad designs over the years, but too many
bulletproof ones to be dismissed the way you do.

Talking about european scooters...are you the one gn banned from Maxi Muppets ?
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

I've only had the 2 recalls for the fuel pump, received the second one last November but just waiting for more reliable weather to have it done. Have never had any problems so don't know if there is even any problem with the fuel pump but will have it done again since it doesn't cost anything. I've got 8000 miles on the scooter and not one problem so far. gn2, could it be possible that you didn't have the recall done and Honda is just sending a reminder notice, I have received a reminder notice from Honda for the last fuel pump recall. That may not be it but just something that crossed my mind.
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

Over 22,000 trouble free miles on my Forza. About to put my fourth rear tire on it, still has the original brake pads. Couldn't be happier with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

waybar wrote:gn2, could it be possible that you didn't have the recall done and Honda is just sending a reminder notice
Quite possibly.
I think the re-recall on the fuel pump may not have been done, also I didn't bother with the brake joint one.
Figured if they were going to fail they would have done so long ago.
The thread was just about the fact that recall letters keep coming even though I've got rid.
There have been so many things go wrong I've lost count.
There's been...
Brake rotor and pads replaced under warranty
leaky waterpump repaired under warranty
recalled fuel pump (at least twice)
replaced rear brake/starter switch (at least three times)
seized centrestand pivot (many times)
broken exhaust clamp
multiple exhaust connector gasket failures
front wheel spindle pinch bolt seized due to no grease at PDI

Plus the fuel flap release stopped working and the gloss disappeared off the bodywork.

Other than that lot and the drive belt failure because the dealer never changed it despite billing me for it, my Forza experience was fairly satisfactory.

But I will not be back to the local Honda dealer anytime soon.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

gn2 I have had almost all of your failures also. My current problems include key problems, brake switch problem and a fork seal problem. I abuse my forks with extreme riding but I have had fork problems since I bought the Forza. I have no idea if the forks caused the parking lot tip over by the previous owner or if that was rider error.

42,000 km and counting.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gn2 wrote:Honda's long history of rushing out under developed bikes is well documented.
Never buy a new model of Honda, give it a couple of years for the gremlins to be ironed out.
Even their flagship models can be problematic, engine swaps on VFR1200s are not uncommon.
My Forza was one of the first so I guess that explains some of the problems.

Made in June 2013, Vin ends in 000098
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

AustinPCX wrote:Over 22,000 trouble free miles on my Forza. About to put my fourth rear tire on it, still has the original brake pads. Couldn't be happier with it.

Do you do any rain riding? How about highway miles?

I am on rear tire #4 at 42,000 km or 26,000 miles.

My front brake pad #2 is at 27,000 km, my rears don't last as long. First rear 13,500 km, 2nd 8300 km, 3rd 12,000 km and fourth at 8000 km but almost done. I ride in the rain and really abuse the Forza on mountain highways with occasional gravel roads (Canada is not all paved).

Most of my motorcycles have worn out front brakes and the rears last a long time. Not so with the Forza.

I ride it until it breaks and then fix it and then ride it until something else breaks. If it doesn't break then ride harder some more.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Ah yes, had leaky forks too but improvised seal mate did the trick well enough to get it through an MoT safety inspection.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

AustinPCX wrote:Over 22,000 trouble free miles on my Forza. About to put my fourth rear tire on it, still has the original brake pads. Couldn't be happier with it.

Austin, EVERYBODY WANTS TO KNOW YOUR SECRET.
All other reports indicate around 8000 mi. rear pads. Even european ones, and even SH 300.

Hmm...p/n for those pads is 06435-K04-701 over here. What about Australia's ?
If different, pleaaaase send us some...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The secret is not looking at the pads...
Can't see the wear if you don't look for it. :lol:
Maybe that's why the caliper is hidden away so well?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gn2 wrote:The secret is not looking at the pads...
Can't see the wear if you don't look for it. :lol:
Maybe that's why the caliper is hidden away so well?
I tried that. I was steel on steel and it was still quiet. I had no idea I had no pad left.

Who needs SEMI-metallic pads when FULL metal works just as well.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Reading this thread, I have this song stuck in my head:
Attachments
recall #5.jpg
recall #5.jpg (118.96 KiB) Viewed 1942 times