Recall letter number five...?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: Recall letter number five...?

Post by davenowherejones »

AustinPCX wrote:Over 22,000 trouble free miles on my Forza. About to put my fourth rear tire on it, still has the original brake pads. Couldn't be happier with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How much rear pads do you have? Can you post a picture of the pad?

Do you only use your front brakes?
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

As far as replacement of rear brake pads, they do not have as much material as the front pads which would explain the early replacement of them. New EBC rear brake pads have a prefix "S" to the part number which signifies they are slimmer than normal pads.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Yes, brand new oem ones measure only 4.5mm thick. Then the compound is soft (compared to
pads from other bikes I have here).

They are rather cheap and can be changed easily in 15 minutes by anybody with enough skill not
to scrap an exhaust packing (or two) doing so.

The real problem is that pad's wear can't (many say) be checked visually.
I'll double-check that with my 1-inch telescopic mirror as soon as Sun-god shows up, and report. There must be a way around this...
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

aguim wrote:Yes, brand new oem ones measure only 4.5mm thick. Then the compound is soft (compared to

They are rather cheap and can be changed easily in 15 minutes by anybody with enough skill not

I'll double-check that with my 1-inch telescopic mirror as soon as Sun-god shows up, and report. There must be a way around this...
Not being able to easily check the rear brake pad wear is the biggest gripe I have with the bike.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

glencoeman wrote:
aguim wrote:Yes, brand new oem ones measure only 4.5mm thick. Then the compound is soft (compared to

Not being able to easily check the rear brake pad wear is the biggest gripe I have with the bike.

UPDATE:

I have just found that with the help of a pocket light, one can easily see both pads from
the back end. Very happy about it, since I had previously thought it necessary to remove
the muffler...
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

aguim wrote:
glencoeman wrote:

UPDATE:

I have just found that with the help of a pocket light, one can easily see both pads from
the back end. Very happy about it, since I had previously thought it necessary to remove
the muffler...
I might try that when I get new glasses.
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

davenowherejones wrote:
AustinPCX wrote:Over 22,000 trouble free miles on my Forza. About to put my fourth rear tire on it, still has the original brake pads. Couldn't be happier with it.

So I just had the rear tire replaced and had the "experts" check the brake pads. Front looks hardly used, Rear looks like it should be replaced in the next couple months. Incidentally, got 9,600 miles out of the last rear tire and only had minimal wear bars showing.

I believe using the Ride-On tire sealant and balancer helps extend the tire life.

As mentioned before almost all of my riding is to and from work virtually all of it on the highway.

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

AustinPCX wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:

So I just had the rear tire replaced and had the "experts" check the brake pads. Front looks hardly used, Rear looks like it should be replaced in the next couple months. Incidentally, got 9,600 miles out of the last rear tire and only had minimal wear bars showing.

I believe using the Ride-On tire sealant and balancer helps extend the tire life.

As mentioned before almost all of my riding is to and from work virtually all of it on the highway.

I am also trying the Ride-On but I probably need another 1/2 bottle in the rear.

I guess your commute is a whole bunch of miles with only a little braking at the end. My stop and go in the mountains is probably harder on brakes.
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Post by DioTiAma »

37 months old, 37.869km (25.000km in the highway), assembled on the 7th of 2013 (bought on the 2nd of 2014). Forth rear tire, third front one, factory front brake pads (about 50% left), second OEM rear ones (about 33% left), two burned front light bulbs, i have only fixed the water pump leak under warranty, my seat stays up 50% of the times (i really don't care anyway). As for the other two recalls (fuel pump & rear ABS line), i really don't care again. If something fails, i will deal with it then.
Attachments
Honda Forza 300 (3).jpg
Honda Forza 300 (3).jpg (106.8 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
Honda Forza 300 (2).jpg
Honda Forza 300 (2).jpg (103.2 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
Honda Forza 300 (1).jpg
Honda Forza 300 (1).jpg (102.3 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Ah yes headlamp bulbs, mine ate three of them, trying to get the old ones out was a lot of fun, the connectors had corroded and seized onto the bulb spades due to a complete absence of any effective waterproofing.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Ah yes headlamp bulbs, mine ate three of them, trying to get the old ones out was a lot of fun, the connectors had corroded and seized onto the bulb spades due to a complete absence of any effective waterproofing.

Got your sv650 yet?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Had it a month now.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gn2 wrote:Ah yes headlamp bulbs, mine ate three of them, trying to get the old ones out was a lot of fun, the connectors had corroded and seized onto the bulb spades due to a complete absence of any effective waterproofing.
I got tired of replacing headlight bulbs so I put in LED's with braided wire heat sinks. They do not work 100% with the reflectors but good enough for me. I don't want to ride around the mountains in the dark. Too many scary animals. Bears, moose, deer, cougars, racoons, big horny sheep and drunks.

I wanted to go up in the mountains today but thought a trip to the ocean side shopping mall might be safer. The Coquihalla Highway got closed today because of snow and multiple accidents. The mountains beside my place have brand new snow. It ain't summer yet!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Are you close to salt water? We spread a lot of salt on the icy roads around here. It did a lot of damage to my DR650 wheels. The painted wheels of the Forza are surviving better.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Live in a coastal village and rode it all through winter on salty roads.
Headlamp bulbs on my cars stored and used in exactly the same location do not seize up.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

You'd better check your Suzuki's before THEY seize solid from the brined swamps you live in. Both
SFV650 and DrZ400SM we have here are similarly arranged to the Forza, would you believe it. We
are bright enough to protect them with 2- cents worth of dielectric grease.
toria
Regular User
Regular User

Post by toria »

I have had a few Forza's over the years and only ever had 2 recalls as far as I can remember - one was a seal and one was something to do with the fuel line I think. I stupidly sold my Forza last year and bought a Burgervan 650 which is fab but boy is it a heavy and thirsty beast! I'm very tempted to come back to the Forza 'family' but gather that they're no longer producing this bike - I think something to do with EU regulations or something? Does anyone know for sure whether this is true or not? If it's not true, then I will be in the look out for another Forza - in white if anyone knows of one going, not too old, very low mileage, no rust (as mine seemed to suffer from!)!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Had it a month now.

Aren't you going to post some pictures?
remida

Post by remida »

gn2 wrote:Traded my Forza on the 1st of March and today yet another recall notice landed on my doorstep, I think that was the fifth one I've had, could be more, I've lost count and gave up caring long ago.

Something to do with the fuel pump again, that's the third fuel pump recall I've had.

Can't see me ever being tempted to buy another Honda.
I'm looking at buying a new 300 but your posts about the recalls have scared me off.....
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

remida wrote:
gn2 wrote:Traded my Forza on the 1st of March and today yet another recall notice landed on my doorstep, I think that was the fifth one I've had, could be more, I've lost count and gave up caring long ago.

Something to do with the fuel pump again, that's the third fuel pump recall I've had.

Can't see me ever being tempted to buy another Honda.
I'm looking at buying a new 300 but your posts about the recalls have scared me off.....
Why?