Need some thoughts

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

tjlayden
Year: 2015Forza
Color: Red

Need some thoughts

Post by tjlayden »

I have a 2015 Forza which I really enjoy scooting around on but I am thinking of stepping up to something larger.
The thought is to increase my visibility with a larger size that will hopefully have better lighting and with ABS. My Forza does not have ABS.
The Bergman 650 is attracting my attention. In my retired world that is a bit pricey.
I have found a new - never owned - 2013 Silver Wing. SW price is pretty low...they want it gone. This has the ABS but not sure the additional visibility is there. Thoughts on this?

Also my head is having a bit of trouble of going to a "new" 4 year old scoot. Would you make the swap?j

Thanks.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Need some thoughts

Post by Mel46 »

Well, a bigger bike is great for freeway riding get, u til you have to filter. Then it becomes a knuckle buster, or a mirror buster. Around town they are bulky. The Silver Wings is a very nice bike for commuting on highways. Once again though, it isn't meant for quick, tight turns that you will have when riding in heavy traffic in the city.
So, in the end you need to determine which you will be doing the most: intown or freeway riding.
Otherwise, they are both Honda's, and they are both nice.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Pete07bikes
Year: 2014
Color: White

Post by Pete07bikes »

Have you considered adding aftermarket driving lights to your Forza?
I find the Forza a good compromise being good on the highway but also good for filtering in the towns.

Appreciate you'd like ABS but you've managed without it so far - UK Forza 300's are all abs so could you buy the necessary bits used and retro-fit ABS to your scooter?

If you find the Burgman 650 expensive I reckon the bills on a 4 year old Silverwing 600 would soon ramp up too.

My advice is keep what you have and personalise it to suit your needs - makes it unique to you that way.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If the price is right and you like it, go for it.
Just get them to change all the fluids and it'll be good to go.
A 2013 Silverwing is exactly the same scooter as a 2017, no difference at all.
Retrofitting ABS would be prohibitively expensive, even at US parts prices.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I agree with Mel..cumbersome in parking lots and in city traffic.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

All motorcycles are invisible if you are looking at your cell phone.

I like ABS, not sure why they ever made a non-ABS Forza.

All motorcycles are expensive. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar or a fool or both.

I like the Burgman 650 but it is heavy and expensive. So is the Silverwing.

Aftermarket LED can get you more light. I prefer not to ride in the dark. Too many scary monsters.
tjlayden
Year: 2015Forza
Color: Red

Post by tjlayden »

Thanks everyone. The most affordable would be after market lighting. I'll look into that - good idea.
The ABS is a stickler. Not sure about that piece.
A lot of my riding is in town but I enjoy getting out and sight seeing in the country. Hence the idea of bigger is better. Besides my backside is usually pretty sore after a couple of hours on the Forza. LOL ohh the joys.
Thanks Gang.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I put LED bulbs in my Forza but the reflectors are probably wrong for the LED's.

If I had to ride in the dark I would add external lights.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

tjlayden wrote:my backside is usually pretty sore after a couple of hours on the Forza
My thoughts on that one... the reason you get a sore rear on the Forza is because of the seating position, because the feet are so far forward and you sit bolt upright, all your body weight is on your backside.
With a conventional motorbike the feet are usually further to the rear with some forward lean and this has the effect of distributing more of your body weight on five contact points.

The Silverwing is unlikely to be much (if any) better in this regard, the seating position is very similar to the Forza.
You can see for yourself on http://cycle-ergo.com/
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am a short guy, 5 six, I angled the handlebars down a little so that I get a slight sport bike stance. I can ride all day but I take frequent bathroom breaks.