When is it time to move up to a Big Boy Bike?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Re: When is it time to move up to a Big Boy Bike?

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

I'm a "hardcore" biker from Milwaukee, home of Harley Davidson. Yesterday was 125 miles in 33F temperatures, and I wear a WW-II bomber helmet, not a plastic fantastic. I find the title of this thread kind of insulting, even though I ride a big-twin chopper, because it's not about the size of the engine or the machine, it's about the person on it and what they get from it.

So here's the ultimate lane-splitting traffic jam conquering urban assault vehicle: Supermoto bike (called Supermotard outside the U.S.) Unlike a Harley or Triumph it's very light, you sit high giving a long-range field of view, and it's fast and cheap to run (much like a scooter). What is it? Basically a dirt/enduro bike with larger, sticky street tires. You can put case sliders on the big parts and frame sliders on the small parts so when you drop it no damage is done--it's an off-road bike, you can drop it!

Fuel economy is great in either a thumper or a smoother twin. Aprilia makes the best bike for the purpose, but they're almost impossible to get, Honda makes the best available bikes (and like the scooters they last forever, are inexpensive, and maintainance is minimal). Oil, fuel, cheap. You do need to keep the chain clean and lube it with wax, PM me on that if you need help.

The huge difference is everything is easy to work on, no panels to remove, no hidden parts, very few special tools. Parking is easier than with a scooter, which is already easy!

Check out YouTube for SuperMoto Life, I think Episode 2? might have been good--it's one of them with lots of wheelies and a 600 HP blue chase car and lots of great scenery.

By the way, the PCX150 is an awesome bike, this coming from a motorcycle guy (I have 7). Just got back from Greece and my first time driving scooters (because of traffic, maneuverability, parking, fuel economy, etc), and have to say that by comparison to most others, the Honda PCX150 is truly a top-end, cream-of-the-crop machine. Looked to buy an Aprilia first, but the U.S. offerings are: one 50cc model, and no real support (or parts availability). Honda has several models, and all are very, very nice. The 300cc was too big for Squirrel, and the 150 has incredible power for its size, plus the ability to modify it (cheaply!!!) is quite nice, even though it's pretty much perfect as delivered. And the forum owner & members here--awesome! Thank you so much for all the articles and help, Search has provided tons of information.
WI_Hedgehog