So are City Grips the way to go?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Ole
Regular User
Regular User

So are City Grips the way to go?

Post by Ole »

At 3000 miles my rear stock Dunlop is nearing its demise. Front still looks OK. Are Michelin City Grips the way to go? And a 150 fits easy on the rear with no rubbing? Is there something better if price was no concern?

Thank you
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: So are City Grips the way to go?

Post by homie »

150 will not fit... 140 rear will if you space off the airbox 3/8 inch and the fender 1/2 inch. 120 fits the front no modification at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Rh1nmcdAo
Attachments
strike1.jpg
strike1.jpg (403.65 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
strike2.JPG
strike2.JPG (223.26 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
tire2.JPG
tire2.JPG (269.34 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

homie wrote:150 will not fit...
What am I missing here. Several have posted a 150/70-13 rear fits the Forza just fine.
I am confused. Maybe I need another beer?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Ole wrote:
homie wrote:150 will not fit...
What am I missing here. Several have posted a 150/70-13 rear fits the Forza just fine.
I am confused. Maybe I need another beer?
Oh never mind, its me... darn header is so small between forum sections SORRY!

this is 4Z chat... nevermind
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

3000 miles seems very short, even for the rear.
Mine average over 6000 miles, I've only ever used the Dunlop Scootsmarts, its had five of them.

Michelin don't make any tyres in the correct size.
There are only four options available worldwide, but it depends on what's available near you.
Dunlop Scootsmart
Pirelli Diablo Scooter
Bridgestone Battlax
IRC SS-530
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

Crappy pic I am sorry. Odometer turned 3000 miles today. And the wear bars on the rear tire are showing.

must be all that beer I carry home from the beer store
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Michelin City Grip 150/70-13 fits the Forza 300 rear just fine.

I have had two. The first lasted 16323 km and the second has 14634 and still going strong but I have a Michelin 150/70-13 Power Pure SC on standby.

My original Dunlop lasted until 9819 km when I got a staple that punctured the tire that was pretty well worn out. I don't know if the Dunlop is even available in Canada.

In Canada we don't have to fit the exact tire or the insurance is invalid. Silly UK!

Is your Forza overloaded (too fat? 2up?) or do you run 80 mph on the highway? Tire inflation right?
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

davenowherejones wrote:
Is your Forza overloaded (too fat? 2up?) or do you run 80 mph on the highway? Tire inflation right?
I go 210# geared up
never two up on the Forza wife likes riding my bigger bikes
yes I ride 70 - 80 mph on the freeways it is great fun
I am anal about tire inflation

I did not anticipate all your questions
I did not complain about the stock tire life
I just wanted to know if there was something better than Scootsmarts is all
go analyze someone else please
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I think the Michelins are better than the Scootsmarts for tire life. My 6000 miles on the Scootsmart is double your 3000 miles. We weigh about the same. No two up on mine either. Your speed is slightly higher than mine in Canada. The wear pattern on your Scootsmart does not look bad. Maybe my roads are smoother than yours.

I was getting great milage out of my Michelin Annakee 3 on my DR650 before I sold it. The Michelins are not cheap but they seem to last pretty good.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

So I finally chickened out and replaced my Michelin CityGrip on the rear. I was getting down to the wear bars. Flat tires happen more often when the tires are worn out.

I was at 14962 km on the tire. I probably could have gone another 1000 km but in the wilds of BC having a flat tire can be deadly.

The weather is cold and snowing so I took the wheel off the Forza. I took it for an expensive 4x4 ride down to Chilliwack. The tire was replaced with my previously bought Michelin PowerPure. The new tire is a two compound tire. I wonder how long it will last?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

That's getting on for double what I got out of a Scootsmart, so the City Grip is very definitely good value.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gn2 wrote:That's getting on for double what I got out of a Scootsmart, so the City Grip is very definitely good value.
It is better value but not that good when you compare it to a car tire.

If I had to put new tires on my 4x4 every 6 months I would be screaming at Dodge. But I bet some of the off-road guys do need tires every 6 months.

Going out to try the Michelin Power Pure rear tire in the rain. It is 6.3 degrees C so I will have to bundle up. My Olympia jacket zipper fell apart yesterday. I am going to try my bicycle jacket underneath my armoured jacket to stay warm & dry.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:Michelin City Grip 150/70-13 fits the Forza 300 rear just fine.

I have had two. The first lasted 16323 km and the second has 14634 and still going strong but I have a Michelin 150/70-13 Power Pure SC on standby.

My original Dunlop lasted until 9819 km when I got a staple that punctured the tire that was pretty well worn out. I don't know if the Dunlop is even available in Canada.

In Canada we don't have to fit the exact tire or the insurance is invalid. Silly UK!

Where did you get the UK tyre insurance thing from? It's incorrect and makes you look silly. You can fit reasonable replacements within the bounds of common sense.

As you would expect.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I look silly all the time and that's the way I like it.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Ok, not a Forza, mines a PCX, but I've now totalled over 11500 miles in almost three years (11034 on Fuelly website due to not starting to add entries at the beginning) and I only commute on the bike, but I still am not down to the wear bars on the rear IRC! (not usual and good going I know) - never had any issues the IRC's either, no matter how waterlogged the roads or if it's pouring and I ride 30-40mph dependant on limits.
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by Embattle »

you you wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:Michelin City Grip 150/70-13 fits the Forza 300 rear just fine.

Where did you get the UK tyre insurance thing from? It's incorrect and makes you look silly. You can fit reasonable replacements within the bounds of common sense.

As you would expect.

I suspect most insurance companies would weasel out of paying if you had a non specification sized tyre on the bike when you crashed, personally I've never understood the need for people to upsize.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The only reason I upsized is that I cannot easily get the right size tire in Canada.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I have ridden the Michelin Power Pure a few times now. It seems to be OK in the cold (near freezing) and also in the rain. I do not drag pegs and have lots of cautious rain riding experience.

I have spun the tires a couple of times on my wet almost frozen grass to get the Forza in/out of the shed.

I am really curious about the dual compound tire and what that really means on a maxi-scooter.