Gone to the dark side

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Richard
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Gone to the dark side

Post by Richard »

My daily commute changed from 40 miles round trip to 122 a fortnight before Christmas.....the Forza handled it ok, but I was on the limit of it for a period of the journey, so today I picked up a nice new Burgman 650.
I have gained a wealth of knowledge from this group for which I thank you all.

I will continue to pop in here ....but would just like to thank you all.

Regards & keep it upright.
Richard.
Pete07bikes
Color: White

Re: Gone to the dark side

Post by Pete07bikes »

Wow, 122 miles round trip! That is some commute Richard, good luck with the Burgman - I rode one once and was very impressed.

How long had you had the Forza and, at 40 miles commute how many miles had it done when you chopped it in?

Pete
Richard
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Richard »

I had had the Forza for a year to near enough the day....part exed it with 8200 miles on it.
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

Did you move ?? How did that happen that your commute increased so much, what do you do for work ???? That is a crazy long commute ! Given the length of that commute, I would have just gotten a car :) If that is highway commuting, the huge, giant Burgman will probably be much better for that commute... Sounds like a good choice.

Mike
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Yikes. I wouldn't even drive a car that far every day. Had a 100-mile RT commute for 8 years. Took the train.

[Learned my lesson--finally. Current commute is 7 miles RT. Rode a bicycle yesterday and took the Silver Wing today. Yes, a Silver Wing is overkill for that commute.]
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Pete07bikes

Post by Pete07bikes »

I must admit anything over a 50 mile round trip commute would probably work out cheaper using a car (if you take into account scooter servicing & maintenance) or public transport - however you have to weigh up traffic conditions, availability of trains/coaches/buses and factor in the ability to filter through on two wheels.
Certainly will be comfy on the big Burgman with its heated seats & grips!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I had my Burgman 400 it was great for distance riding. I think the Burgmans are made for those who want to cruise. The 650 is considered the Cadillac of scooters because it is soooo comfortable and dependable. You can go across country with it and still feel relaxed. I know of riders who have taken their 650 on tours with a trailer attached. Enjoy your new ride. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Richard
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Richard »

We moved house and my office moved shortly after, I travel in to South London...entering for the East.
A car is not an option given traffic and congestion charge.
Pete07bikes

Post by Pete07bikes »

Richard wrote "We moved house and my office moved shortly after, I travel in to South London...entering for the East.
A car is not an option given traffic and congestion charge"

It's a bit of a beast for London filtering - be finding that switch to fold the mirrors in very handy I reckon!
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

Richard wrote:We moved house and my office moved shortly after, I travel in to South London...entering for the East.
A car is not an option given traffic and congestion charge.
Sitting in traffic SUCKS !!! I would have to agree, in rush hour, a scooter is not only a lot more fun, but you can always keep moving, even if it is slow... I never filter fast as it it very dangerous. Riding a motorcycle is always a bit dangerous, but slow filtering does the trick of getting through traffic while staying safe as one can be on 2 wheels :D

Mike
Hax
Year: 2016

Post by Hax »

I had a period of 5 years where I commuted 70 miles per day and then another 2 at 80 miles per day. Done on a variety of 2 and 3 wheelers including Triumph Speedmaster 900, Kawasaki Z650, Shadow 1100 and Metro engined trike. Probably cover about 100 miles per week now and costs me pennies on the PCX!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I first arrived at the employer that I eventually retired from, there were workers who travelled 150 miles one way every single day, and their ride was NOT the furthest one!
Because my employer paid such good wages for the area, there were people who drove from the bottom of the state every day, eventually settling for renting a room locally and going home only on weekends. They did this for 20 years. Now if you don't think it was THAT far, look up Georgia in the United States. Then look for Valdosta at the bottom of the state, and then Marietta (a North western suburb of Atlanta). That is an impressive drive, but there were also workers driving from each of the surrounding states as well. At one point the company told us that there were employees from every single County in Georgia(159) plus every single state that touched our state's borders(5), all working at the same factory. In fact, at one point there were 33,000 employees there. Parking was a mess, but they had special parking for those on motorcycles. Now there are probably around 6,500 - 7,000 employees. I wonder where they all went??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

Mel46 wrote: Now there are probably around 6,500 - 7,000 employees. I wonder where they all went??
Those jobs obviously went to China and Mexico... I do not know what company you worked for, but I am very safe to bet they downsized by a huge amount. That brings the obvious question since you are talking about it, WHAT COMPANY DID YOU WORK FOR ???

I would not drive 150 Miles each way for any job, a distance like that would justify getting a room immediately. The room would be FREE considering the cost of driving 300 miles per day... Even more importantly, that drive would take 3 hours or more on most Georgia roads ( most people are not lucky enough to have an interstate leading directly from their house to work ). Work and 8 hour day, + 6 hours of driving makes 14 hours each day... That makes for an easy choice to get a room or just move... Even if I REALLY like where I live, I still not like it enough to spend 6 hours a day of money and time driving as that would leave almost zero time to enjoy it....

Mike
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I have a 200 mile 5ht round trip drive to work each day. Knackering it is.
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by Embattle »

Fortunately you would struggle to have to drive that far in this country, unless you happen to drive a truck.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

No amount of money is worth that amount of aggravation. I would move closer first.
phantom309

Post by phantom309 »

used to do 34miles round trip a day...but the wages were worth it.. but now work a mile away so i don't even get the bike out , as not even worth it...lol...
having an adventure before dementia !!!!!!!