Need Advice. First time scooter buyer

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ThaiForza

Need Advice. First time scooter buyer

Post by ThaiForza »

Hello Everyone. My wife & I are thinking of moving from Canada to Mae Sot Thailand. I've ridden bikes in my youth and rented scooters in Costa Rica (I think the moon has better roads!). We spent two weeks around Mae Sot and rented a Honda 125CC there (forgot the model). We really like riding and the scooter is a natural for us in Thailand. But I'd rather have something with a bit more oomph and size. However, I'm 6'3" with long legs and told the Forza leg room is not all that great.

So I've been doing a bit of reading and have some questions regarding the Forza 300. There are some comments regarding those made in Thailand are not as good... I would assume all Forza purchased in Thailand are made here right? What should I look for? I also have read the suspension is somewhat too soft, especially for the potholes and country riding i'm more than likely to make. Has the 2017 model fixed that? If not what do you suggest as replacement. I also have heard original tires in Thailand are junk, what should I replace them with? Finally, we'd like to get a storage box at the back but according to this site the Honda version is not as good as aftermarket. Could anyone suggest a web site or dealer in Thailand (North, Chiang Mai is the closest biggest town. Mae Sot dealer does not carry the Forza). Is there an after market part web site available?

Sorry lots of questions but I'm totally green on this so any bits of advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Need Advice. First time scooter buyer

Post by gn2 »

Welcome to the forum :)

All Forza 300s are made in Thailand, there have been no changes of any note since launch in 2013.
Femur length is key in determining whether you'll fit on a Forza 300, the knee room is very cramped.
They are unsuitable for rough surfaced roads, if you're going to be doing poorly surfaced roads you really don't want any scooter, especially if you are two-up.
Best rear luggage box for the Forza is a Shad SH39 imo.
FWIW I think you would be far better served by a CB500X (also manufactured in Thailand) for which there are limitless chassis modifications to make it eminently suitable for anything Thailand can throw at it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Don't worry too much about the running commentary on build, tire and ride quality. We all have opinions and expectations. I ride a 2013 forza on the streets of Bangkok (often with passenger) an hour or two a day on stock tires and suspension and it's adequate for what I do. Mae sot roads seem good enough I had my seat reupholstered for 1800 baht and it's remarkably comfortable for someone 6'3". Forza is a fairly rare Honda over here and I've never seen one in Mae Sot. Shops usually carry aftermarket stuff for more popular models like the msx, zoomer, pcx and Yamaha m-slaz. Thai.webike.net is your best bet (that I have found) for aftermarket stuff on this side of the globe. There are couple local places (for me) with websites as well.
Bikerzbits.co.th nice cnc'd stuff
Www.japanhobby.net a shop not far from me with random bits and bobs.

Also if you ever think of buying used check out Kaidee.com before you buy from another expat. At least you'll know the actual value of things around here.

Wish you the best on your plans,

Andreas
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

ThaiForza wrote:
Sorry lots of questions but I'm totally green on this so any bits of advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I have 3 Honda Motorcycles made in Thailand, and they are AWESOME, very reliable, and flawless just as I would expect Honda to be. The poor quality of Honda made in Thailand is a MYTH, some people have very unrealistic expectations, poor analytical abilities, have axes to grind, love to complain, a host of reasons for posting that garbage.. In the end, they have ONE problem, and then blame Thailand. After buying 3 Honda motorcycles made in Thailand, I will be buying a FORZA also, which makes number 4...

Sit on a Forza, that will give you a better answer to fit than any of us can tell you. I am not as tall as you, but what I actually LOVE about the Forza is its comfort, and I can stretch my legs out and it will be comfortable to ride all day long. When I ride, it is for pleasure and my average ride is about 8 hours, 300 miles in the everglades / Forrest. So comfort and reliability are super important to me.

Mike
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Jet Pilot,

You are 100% right (okay, make that ninety-nine) about the Forza. Mine is my 25th-or-so bike, and the first one I absolutely wouldn't trade (I had wanted a Majesty, but went for the unloved Forza
rebate -- $2000). Best deal (steal) of my life. I have even sold a pristine Aero 750 that was no
longer needed after I realized the Forza was perfect for 100-110 kmh cruising.

The 1% missing concerns the touchy plastics' fittings and relatively short pad wear (I have fixed
the plastics with dremmel magics, and can live with 12000km pads alright).

BTW, seems that only 2016s are now available, but without the massive rebate? Go for it anyway.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

The moon does have better roads :lol: Welcome to the forum
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Well, I am glad they got the problems sorted out after mine was made. I have one of the very first (VIN ends in 000098) . It leaks oil, the rear pads wear out quickly, the seat falls down, the plastics are cracking and all the recalls have been done. The wheel is bent (done by the first owner) and the shocks/forks barely work (It's a scooter not a dual sport).

I love riding the Forza and did 28,000 km (17,000 miles) last year. I ride hard on the paved mountain highways and really abuse the poor thing. It has gotten me home every time.

I have worn out 3 rear tires and one and bit front tires. The ABS is great. I average 80 miles per Canadian gallon or 28.8 km per litre. Absolute total cost has been about $9000 Canadian for a total about 39,000 km so far.

I am short (5'6") and it fits me perfectly. I tilted the handle bars down to fit my short arms. The seat is great for long distance riding. I have a 55 litre GIVI top case and lots of in bike storage.

I have been places no scooter should ever go and still it runs faithfully.

Yeah, a little hate but a lot of love!

-6C and snow tomorrow
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

My Forza has had three replacement brake switches, a replacement fuel pump, one repaired leaky waterpump, one trashed set of transmission bearings replaced, one seized fork pinchbolt drilled out and helicoiled, one failed fork seal (still leaking because a replacement was unavailable last time I tried to buy one), one warped rear disc replaced, multiple premature rear brake pad expiries, numerous seized bolts with rounded/stripped heads, centrestand seizes up regularly, still has two recalls outstanding (one of them for the fuel pump which was already replaced) but Jetpilot says all Thai Hondas are the dogs bollocks, so that's all OK then.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

dogs bollocks???
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

davenowherejones wrote:dogs bollocks???
same as duck's nuts.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

Gn2, I've read some of your rants & sermons and smell a rat's bollocks, here. Example: there's
often a total idiot behind rounded-out screw\bolt heads, fried transmission bearings, etc. I wouldn't
bet on trained factory workers to be responsible for such things, so that leaves...

In 50 years of owning Hondas, and working on them, I have never heard such crap.

What I find most intolerable is that you keep posing as an 'expert'. Hell, I wouldn't let you near my
scoot...
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Hey aguim,

I don't know about the other things, but gn2 is right about the legroom.
I'm 6'2" and only had 1/4" gap from my knees to the dash when I sat on one (4"+ kneeroom on PCX!).
I can only imagine the situation gets worse with a pillion behind you.
It's such a shame as the ergonomics seemed pretty good otherwise.

I sat on a Kymco downtown 350i immediately after and felt more comfortable overall (back/arms).
However, you have more flexibility in foot position on the Forza since the ramp isn't stepped so much.
But if you like the cruiser sitting position, the Kymco is very comfortable with feet up on the ramps.
I thought the seat on the Kymco was marginally better, with the benefit of adjustable brake levers.

In Australia the Kymco is $1000 cheaper, so it would be my pick if I could stand riding a big scooter.
If I was to buy a Forza it would be second hand so I could afford a better seat and rear suspension...
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

chicaboo,

I'm 5'10", 69 and shrinking, and have to stretch back to hit that hump. Then every other day I see
gorillas on Zumas, smiling like mad. Whatever feels good, hey! I have done 300 km non-stop*
on the Forza in total comfort (a sleeping bag attached to the rear as back support), while
some other people feel tortured after 50...go figure.

aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

* 50 km from frying the pump? Will not repeat that.

PS : the edit function is useless.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

aguim wrote:chicaboo,

I'm 5'10", 69 and shrinking, and have to stretch back to hit that hump. Then every other day I see
gorillas on Zumas, smiling like mad. Whatever feels good, hey! I have done 300 km non-stop*
on the Forza in total comfort (a sleeping bag attached to the rear as back support), while
some other people feel tortured after 50...go figure.

The OP is 6'3", so I think he's going to bump his knees on the dash every so often.
ThaiForza

Post by ThaiForza »

Thanks guys for all the advice. It really helps. Although I didnt think i'd start a flame war!

I think what I might do is next time I'm in Thailand, I'll rent one for a few days to get a better feel for it to see if it's a good fit (literally). My intent is to do mainly city driving in Mae Sot with the occasional run to Tha Song Yang hilly road (about 1.5 hours drive) and the rare trip to Chiang Mai and Ratchaburi. My main concern is during rainy season if I should upgrade to better tires.

Finally, I dont want to skimp on helmet quality so I might buy mine in Canada with CSA/DOT rating. I was thinking about full face with the movable jaw style (hydbrid). Any suggestion on that is also appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help.
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

ThaiForza wrote: Finally, I dont want to skimp on helmet quality so I might buy mine in Canada with CSA/DOT rating. I was thinking about full face with the movable jaw style (hydbrid). Any suggestion on that is also appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help.
Hi ThaiForza,

I would get a helmet in Thailand, they have everything from cheap, to really good also, you just will not pay a Canadian Price and not take up a bunch of valuable luggage space for the flight over either. I do not see any advantage to getting a helmet before you get there. I would just get a street helmet, not retractable chin helmet, there is no advantage to retractable chin on the road. You can still lift your visor whenever you want. Definitely get a full face helmet, they offer a lot more protection in case of an accident. Unless you do not like your teeth and jaw, then you can get a 3/4 helmet and have them removed without charge :D

I would NEVER get a Kymco, or any Chinese scooter, that will be much more unreliable and problematic than a Honda will ever be. There are always a few people that are totally clueless of even well known facts. Rent and ride the Forza is a great idea, you will have a lot of fun !!! I sat on some of the larger twin cylinder scooters, but they were just huge and as heavy as my CB500X motorcycle. The Forza seems the perfect balance of being powerful / highway capable will still being small and light enough to enjoy around town also.

Mike
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

aguim wrote:Gn2, I've read some of your rants & sermons and smell a rat's bollocks, here. Example: there's
often a total idiot behind rounded-out screw\bolt heads, fried transmission bearings, etc. I wouldn't
bet on trained factory workers to be responsible for such things, so that leaves...

In 50 years of owning Hondas, and working on them, I have never heard such crap.

What I find most intolerable is that you keep posing as an 'expert'. Hell, I wouldn't let you near my
scoot...
The rounded fasteners are ones which I have attempted to undo for the first time and they have been seized solid.
Quite how I'm to blame for that I do not know?
Maybe I should have had the bike stripped down and reassembled with thread release agent immediately after purchase...?

Have you ever worked on any Hondas which were manufactured in Thailand then ridden through three Scottish winters?

Have you not read the other threads about transmission bearings in this forum..? (its a very common fault on Thai made Honda scooters)

I am no expert and have never claimed to be, I just post what I know or think, after all that's what forums are for right...?

I wouldn't want to come near your scoot, there's plenty to keep me busy with the one I have :lol:
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

I would wish to lend my support to Gn2 in his comments. "His experiences are his experiences" and a forum such as this is where it is best to record them so as to act as information to others...to ignore or learn from...their choice.....and record them without fear or favour.
Mikes responses are a bit harsh and ott and not helpful in my view. We do not all live in a Miami climate...Try Bonnie Scotland for a few harsh winters where the Forza lives outside, is used every day for commutting in all weathers and then make critical comments on others posts.
I have a Scottish brother-in-law now living in Thailand who now refuses to play golf in Scotland as he cannot stand the cold and rain( the big wimp!).If you dont want to play golf in the rain dont golf in Scotland...and if you dont like commuting in the wind and train dont get two wheels in Scotland...at least not in the winter.
I have learned a great amount from many comments on this forum ( and the Silverwing forum) which have saved me both time and money and many of gn2 comments are included in that assistance....greatly appreciated.
The Forza is a great bike but so are some others. My only comment to Thaiforza would be... " 6ft 3ins and long legs?" may prove slightly uncomfortable on a Forza on longer travels. I am 5ft 10 ins and it just fits for me ...but everyone to their own taste in riding.
and no offence intended to anyone.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

JetPilot wrote: I would NEVER get a Kymco, or any Chinese scooter, that will be much more unreliable and problematic than a Honda will ever be. There are always a few people that are totally clueless of even well known facts. Rent and ride the Forza is a great idea, you will have a lot of fun !!! I sat on some of the larger twin cylinder scooters, but they were just huge and as heavy as my CB500X motorcycle. The Forza seems the perfect balance of being powerful / highway capable will still being small and light enough to enjoy around town also.

Mike
I know technically speaking, Taiwanese people are ethnically Chinese... But there is a different work ethos and level of quality control behind the largest scooter manufacturer in Taiwan and your typical Chinese (clone wannabe) scooters. The more expensive Kymco scooters and their engines are reflective of the quality that Kawasaki expect when Kymco badge engineer scooters for them. Their cheaper scooters are built to budget and reflect this, but are reliable and robust non the less.

I do agree with you on renting or at least taking an extended test ride on the scooters you're interested in, and buying the helmet in Thailand (stick to known brands and you can't go wrong). If I was of an average build I'd be all over the Forza, myself. I could probably make one work for me if I knew those aftermarket seats were set further back for more legroom, but then there is still suspension... But I think much money needs to be spent to make a Forza what I want, where the Downtown is ready to go for $1000 less, and it's a more comfortable sitting position to me.

Bah, I'd have to sell the Jeep before I'd entertain the thought of a second scooter ATM, but I like window shopping.