Need Advice. First time scooter buyer

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Re: Need Advice. First time scooter buyer

Post by aguim »

A few things I might add, here, so that I may not pass as an unconditional Honda fanboy: the Forza
is NOT perfect (just like any mechanical contraption):

- I found the steering and transmission driven clutch bearings barely lubricated as new, added lots of
BelRay assembly lube, there.
- many screws/nuts&bolts are obviously too tight from the factory and are better reinstalled with
less torque, AND anti-seize.

But these 'problems' are common to nearly all scooters, and can be dealt with by any decent
mechanic. For those with no time and/or mechanical disposition, well, welcome to the money
sinkhole. Owning even a mini-maxi these days has become a thing-for-the rich...ask Dave about
it.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

davenowherejones wrote:
dogs bollocks???

at 3:16 all will be clear. [/youtube]
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I've seen 51st State a few times but not enough to learn the language. I know they are speaking English but What the hell are they TALKING about?

And I had parents from England/Scotland and Wales/England.

Where are the subtitles?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

C'mon Dave, I thought being Canadian from Canadia that you would be more worldly having been raised in the Commonwealth.
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

chicaboo wrote:
The more expensive Kymco scooters and their engines are reflective of the quality that Kawasaki expect when Kymco badge engineer scooters for them. Their cheaper scooters are built to budget and reflect this, but are reliable and robust non the less.
The first is a REALLY BAD assumption. When Kymco designs a scooter for their own brand, it is intended to be sold at a lower price, and cheap is part of the design from the beginning... It does not compare in any way with the kawasaki that is designed to sell at a much higher price. The fact that they are made in the same factory means NOTHING. You always very wrongly assume that Kymco scooters are equal to Kawasaki simply because they are made by the same factory - WRONG.

Personally, I would rather pay the extra 1000 dollars or even more for a better designed scooter, where better materials are used, that will handle amazingly well, and be trouble free for many years. Buying cheap is always a mistake, and will leave you unhappy in the long run.

Mike
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

chicaboo wrote:C'mon Dave, I thought being Canadian from Canadia that you would be more worldly having been raised in the Commonwealth.
I re-watched 51st State last night and it makes more sense now. Dogs Bollocks!!!

Half the movie revolves around the fact that half the British can't understand the language of the other half.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

JetPilot wrote:
chicaboo wrote:
The more expensive Kymco scooters and their engines are reflective of the quality that Kawasaki expect when Kymco badge engineer scooters for them. Their cheaper scooters are built to budget and reflect this, but are reliable and robust non the less.
The first is a REALLY BAD assumption. When Kymco designs a scooter for their own brand, it is intended to be sold at a lower price, and cheap is part of the design from the beginning... It does not compare in any way with the kawasaki that is designed to sell at a much higher price. The fact that they are made in the same factory means NOTHING. You always very wrongly assume that Kymco scooters are equal to Kawasaki simply because they are made by the same factory - WRONG.

Personally, I would rather pay the extra 1000 dollars or even more for a better designed scooter, where better materials are used, that will handle amazingly well, and be trouble free for many years. Buying cheap is always a mistake, and will leave you unhappy in the long run.

Mike
How do you always misquote people with sweeping generalisations? I drew a line in the sand and made arguments either side of it FFS.
Furthermore, this is the second time I've commented on Kymco scooters, which is apparently tantamount to you saying "I always" blah blah...

I find the small capacity Kymcos have poxy cheap IM coloured plastic as apposed to the painted finish you find on Hondas. Not to my taste.
Kymco's cheaper scooters are also air cooled and carberated to cut costs even further. But are they crap scoots? No, just built to budget.

We only get two of the more premium Kymco scooters in Australia, so I can't speak for the Xciting and other 400cc+ models they sell, so I don't...
When I made my observations of the DT 350i (& Forza) which you lambasted as being WRONG with one exception, I also made mention to some gripes I had.
I mentioned the matte finish body panels and glossy bezel around the steering column do not appear durable IMO, and would likely show wear over time.
I also went on to mention that the under-seat storage capacity was lacking for such a large scooter, which I found disappointing but not deal breaking.
I even said how the floor boards aren't as ergonomic as they are on the Forza, which I even pointed out yet again above. None of this made your RIGHT list...

So how is it that I fly the flag for Kymco in some adoring positive light the way you would have everyone believe? Hmmm? I have no brand loyalty... :roll:
I'm just a tall fat guy with wide shoulders that doesn't fit on a Forza that costs $1000 more and needs yet more money spent to be liveable, so why would I?
The DT 350i is a compromise that works for me, and it comes with a 3 year warranty. Tell me about Honda's 12 month limited KM warranty? You need it!
Anyhow, if you look after your bike/scooter and get all the recalls done it should be good for a good few years, whatever you buy.

Oh yeah, I consciously bought a used 2012 153cc Honda PCX over a brand new 2016 163cc Kymco Like 200i for $500+ less. It's the only scooter I've got.
I couldn't find another scooter in the price range with the ergonomics that mattered to me. It's the same story in the 300ccc class with the DT350i & Forza.
If I ever buy a Kymco scooter and it sucks, I will sell it move on. It's that simple. It's not the fanatical scooter religion you make everything out to be... :lol:
Scoot Commute
Year: 2012
Color: White

Post by Scoot Commute »

Hey Chicaboo
I note like my self you too are in the Mid east of Australia, just wondering if have sourced are parts for the PCX and had any tips for where you have found best to purchases. I can flick you my email if you want.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Scoot Commute wrote:Hey Chicaboo
I note like my self you too are in the Mid east of Australia, just wondering if have sourced are parts for the PCX and had any tips for where you have found best to purchases. I can flick you my email if you want.
Sending you a PM now.