Happy New Year 2017

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Happy New Year 2017

Post by davenowherejones »

Happy New Year 2017

We are almost the last to see in the New Year on the West Coast of Canada. I had to look on my globe to see who was last. Hawaii, Alaska and a bunch of real small islands in the Pacific.

So how many kilometers/miles did you do in 2016?

My 2014 Honda Forza 300 did 27,858 kilometers or 17,310 miles. They were almost all good as none of them were to work or back. The few bad miles I don't even remember. I even had a few miles on very smooth gravel roads.

I started up the Forza today just to see if I could. It was zero degrees C and the Forza started right away. I was impressed. I put LED headlight bulbs in earlier this year. They draw very little power and might make starting a little easier.

Friends wanted me to go out but so far I have stayed home. It is snowing lightly and I will be in bed way before midnight. I must be old.

Happy New Year and may the riding be interesting.
Pete07bikes
Color: White

Re: Happy New Year 2017

Post by Pete07bikes »

Yes Happy New Year to all forum readers & contributors
In 2016 I did 8,400 miles on my 2014 Forza 300 - which has now covered 17,912 miles
This was nearly all commuting to work and back

I also rode 2,900 miles on my Suzuki Bandit 650 - which was mainly Sunday rides and a weeks touring in Cornwall.

Plans for 2017 include taking the Forza to Scotland for a trip around the North-West coast and doing a Devon Coast-2-Coast cycle ride.

Whatever you get up to keep it safe folks

Pete
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Our New Year's celebration was spent trying to calm our very frightened dogs as neighbors without dogs set off fireworks in the street in front of our house. Yes, it is illegal. No, they don't care. In fact, one of the neighbors has a dog and thinks it is funny to throw firecrackers at their dog.
We have 4 Jack Russell Terriers, each one rescued from a bad life somewhere else. Unlike many family dogs, you can never know the full story behind rescued dogs. Ours do not just hide when the fireworks start. There isn't a place dark enough or quiet enough for them. Three of the four had been in open kennels outside during thunderstorms and even tornadoes, with no place to hide. Fireworks are no different than thunder to them. Our furriest little girl was so abused and neglected that we weren't sure she was going to make it through the surgeries she had to have after we rescued her, so it hurts us to see her cowering in the closet, shaking...all 13 to 14 pounds (she is a little overweight right now. She should be around 12 pounds.)

It has been raining off and on, and cold, so the bikes have been stored for the winter. We don't get snow as much as just plain cold, rain, and wind. Still, sometimes the wind is gusting to 20 mph. Only the brave ride in this weather....except in the U.K. My hats off to you folks. And a Happy New Year to all of you.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

Mel46 wrote: We have 4 Jack Russell Terriers, each one rescued from a bad life somewhere else..
That is SUPER AWESOME you rescued the dogs !!! Dogs are like people, have all the emotions, and do not like fear or mistreatment any more than a person does. I seriously want to hurt someone when I see them treat a dog badly.

All the types of dogs are lovable, and fun... BUT, I would not have a Jack Russel Terrier for all the tea in China, hyper, noisy, and annoying so much of the time.. We had small dogs as a child, and while I liked them, there is just NO COMPARISON to between the smaller breeds and the White German Shepherd I have now, you have no idea of what you are missing... The intelligence of a dog is everything. The minute she knows what I want, its DONE, and the only reason I even own a leash is for traffic, she will stay with me and follow me anywhere, even away from the house, does not run off at the first opportunity. I used to let her out and just let her roam and explore the area, and know she will come running when I call (we moved, to much traffic here to do that ). So well behaved in the house, careful not to bump things, there are just ZERO issues with her. She goes everywhere with us and I get comments all the time that " I could never bring my dog here, and how well behaved she is " It is the difference between having a dog, and a true companion... Most people just get a dog and have NO CLUE as to the difference between the breeds, it would be like calling all two wheeled vehicle " bicycles " and expecting the experience of owning a bicycle and a motorcycle to be the same..

Mike
Attachments
KaylaDriving.jpg
KaylaDriving.jpg (10.3 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Oh yes, I would agree with you about differences between dog breeds. I use to raise collies. They were just like your white shepherd. However, we found that there were tons of Jack Russells that were being dumped because the owners thought they were "cute on tv" but did not bother to read up on them before getting one. ...and then there are the puppy mills. Jack Russells can be just as obedient and loyal as any other dog if you spend time with them and train them correctly. They are super loyal. Yes, they are hyper, but we have a 1/2 acre fenced back yard with squirrels and rabbits, and other wild animals coming and going, and cats next door :-)..... so they stay busy. Now that 3 of them are older they have slowed down considerably. They spend a lot of time sleeping now, and the only male dog (my boy:-) follows me like a shadow, sleeps on my bed, sits in my lap while I watch tv, and wants to go with me when I go someplace in the car...though I can't take him most of the time because of where I am going.

Jack Russell Terriers are just like any other dog except for the fact that they were bred to hunt, and that has not been bred out of them yet, unlike many other wonderful dogs that became pets. There is a JRT organization that works hard to make sure these dogs remain hunters. They were bred to hunt, going into dark badger holes, and other critters' holes with no fear. They get excited about hunting...in fact, they get excited about life itself. What we have done is directed their excitment. We have been working with Jack Russells for over 20 years, and everyone we meet is surprised at how calm they are, now.

There are certain breeds of dog that have been socialized for so long that they have become almost human. German Shepherds, Collies, golden retrievers, and some others are on that list. Jack Russells are not on that list. However, when it comes to hunting dogs, they make that list, and they can become some of the most loyal dogs you have ever known, given enough time and training. However, they are a challenge. Along with challenges come rewards. Owning them is their own reward, but rescuing them from a bad life and seeing their eyes change from dull, dead eyes to bright and shiny ones as they start to see that they are loved is a greater reward.

If you have a dog that loves you and is loved back, it doesn't matter what breed it is, only that it is loved.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JetPilot wrote:
Mel46 wrote: We have 4 Jack Russell Terriers, each one rescued from a bad life somewhere else..
That is SUPER AWESOME you rescued the dogs !!! Dogs are like people, have all the emotions, and do not like fear or mistreatment any more than a person does. I seriously want to hurt someone when I see them treat a dog badly.

All the types of dogs are lovable, and fun... BUT, I would not have a Jack Russel Terrier for all the tea in China, hyper, noisy, and annoying so much of the time.. We had small dogs as a child, and while I liked them, there is just NO COMPARISON to between the smaller breeds and the White German Shepherd I have now, you have no idea of what you are missing... The intelligence of a dog is everything. The minute she knows what I want, its DONE, and the only reason I even own a leash is for traffic, she will stay with me and follow me anywhere, even away from the house, does not run off at the first opportunity. I used to let her out and just let her roam and explore the area, and know she will come running when I call (we moved, to much traffic here to do that ). So well behaved in the house, careful not to bump things, there are just ZERO issues with her. She goes everywhere with us and I get comments all the time that " I could never bring my dog here, and how well behaved she is " It is the difference between having a dog, and a true companion... Most people just get a dog and have NO CLUE as to the difference between the breeds, it would be like calling all two wheeled vehicle " bicycles " and expecting the experience of owning a bicycle and a motorcycle to be the same..

Mike

Wow, you are out simplistic opinioning GN2...

Not sure I'd like to meet you or your dog.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

Mel, gotta share my Jack Russell story since we're on the subject.

We don't have any pets of our own but our old neighborhood had a Jack Russell named George who lit up our lives every time he came around. George actually lived down the street, but every day he made his rounds and checked on his hood and his peeps. This usually took up most of his day. Around noon, rain or shine, we'd look out the front door and the little guy would be sitting there patiently, waiting to be let in. Once inside, he'd stop for just a second or two to say hi and then proceed straight up the stairs to the second floor. After a few minutes he'd come down and then check out the downstairs bedrooms, kitchen, and living room, always in that order. Then he'd proceed to the front door and wait to be let out.

We couldn't interest him in a treat or in conversation, but he'd come back the next day and the next and do it again anyway. On his birthhday (July 9) every year, his mom would attach a birthday card to his collar before he left for his daily rounds and by quittin' time George looked like a little Christmas tree wandering down the street with all those dollar bills stapled to his card.

When we sold the house we left a note to the buyers giving them the the heads-up on the little guy, and they e-mailed us a couple of years ago to say that their faithful friend and neighbor had finally retired and then passed away.

So I hear ya, Mel.

Happy New Year all!

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

montliz44 wrote:Mel, gotta share my Jack Russell story since we're on the subject.

We don't have any pets of our own but our old neighborhood had a Jack Russell named George who lit up our lives every time he came around. George actually lived down the street, but every day he made his rounds and checked on his hood and his peeps. This usually took up most of his day. Around noon, rain or shine, we'd look out the front door and the little guy would be sitting there patiently, waiting to be let in. Once inside, he'd stop for just a second or two to say hi and then proceed straight up the stairs to the second floor. After a few minutes he'd come down and then check out the downstairs bedrooms, kitchen, and living room, always in that order. Then he'd proceed to the front door and wait to be let out.

We couldn't interest him in a treat or in conversation, but he'd come back the next day and the next and do it again anyway. On his birthhday (July 9) every year, his mom would attach a birthday card to his collar before he left for his daily rounds and by quittin' time George looked like a little Christmas tree wandering down the street with all those dollar bills stapled to his card.

When we sold the house we left a note to the buyers giving them the the heads-up on the little guy, and they e-mailed us a couple of years ago to say that their faithful friend and neighbor had finally retired and then passed away.

So I hear ya, Mel.

Happy New Year all!

Johnny
That's a lovely story.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Yep, that sounds like what a Jack Russell would do. :-) When we have company the dogs start to bark, but we have a dog cookie jar close by that has these small training treats in it. We instruct the visitor to gets some cookies out and hand them out, one at a time. Once they have done that the dogs settle down, and one of them will end up on the visitor's lap eventually, just laying there, waiting to be petted. If they tell the dog to get down, the dog obeys, but they can expect another one to sit at their feet ready to take their place, but only if they ask it to. If you do not like dogs, don't come to our house unless you want to leave liking them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Since we are sharing old neighborhood dog stories, I had a Saint Bernard that would bang on my door just after dark. He would walk past me and make his way to a place by the wood stove, look at me with bloodshot eyes, lay down and fall asleep. After about three hours he would get up,bang on the door,and go home. My only guess is that he was maybe having problems at home, maybe a cat?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hey any of you dog guys ever ride a motorcycle?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

davenowherejones wrote:Hey any of you dog guys ever ride a motorcycle?
Only when I did the 2 day course to get my manual restricted 660cc motorcycle licence.
I learned on an Honda CB125. It was awful and was flat out doing 80kph.
On the second day I got to a point where I did clutchless shifting going up the gears.
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

Mel46 wrote:Oh yes, I would agree with you about differences between dog breeds. I use to raise collies. They were just like your white shepherd. However, we found that there were tons of Jack Russells that were being dumped because the owners thought they were "cute on tv" but did not bother to read up on them before getting one. ...and then there are the puppy mills.
If you have a dog that loves you and is loved back, it doesn't matter what breed it is, only that it is loved.
Hi Mel,

That is awesome that you have rescued them and given them a nice home. Collies are amazing dogs, my grandparents had one that the entire family loved when we visited, a very special dog. After that dog passed on from old age, the grandparents got older and did not think they could care for a bigger dog, so they got a series of smaller dogs over the years... While they are all cute and lovable, we all remember the collie as being absolutely amazing to be around. I doubt that anyone in the family would remember the names of any of the smaller dogs they had...

Have you ever considered another collie ? My wife likes Australian Shepherds, they are the smartest dogs, and I like them a lot, but they are hyper active, and need a lot of room to run and explore... Just not going to happen here in Miami, where land is very scarce, and yards are small. So I am looking for another White German Shepherd, when I find the right one, I will buy it..

Mike
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

davenowherejones wrote:Hey any of you dog guys ever ride a motorcycle?
We tried actually riding motorcycles once, but the Dog distracted us, so we stopped riding and played with her instead :D

Mike
Attachments
DSC05323.jpg
DSC05323.jpg (971.16 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Can't beat the dog guys so I'll join the conversation.

My elderly parents had a very old miniature poodle that died of old age. Dad was missing taking the dog for a walk so my sister bought him a new poodle. Dad was 85 and poodles can live a long time. Dad also had about a dozen different kinds of cancer that he was hiding from my sister and his doctors. Dad died a year later and Mum took care of the dog for a few more years. She had a lot of medical problems and she was concerned about the dog.

She set up a $10,000 account in my name ear-marked for the dog. Mum's medical problems became too much and she died.

I was in charge of her estate. It took a while to get it sorted out in Canada and the UK. I was a little depressed so I "borrowed" a few thousand dollars from the dog and bought a used Kawasaki KLX-250 dual sport to resume the riding I had abandoned while looking after my elderly parents.

The estate was eventually settled and I repaid the dog. I had inherited the dog also. None of the apartments in my town would take a dog and very few would take anyone under 55. I ended up moving to Hope and moved in to a mobile home with the dog. All of my rides are timed around the the dog's bladder.

I find if I feed the dog cheap grocery store canned dog food I have a smelly mess to clean up after a long ride. If I feed him expensive Hills Science Diet canned dog food I can ride longer. I use the Hills because I worked for one of their distribution companies for a number of years. I got the dented cans for free. Sometimes I was the guy on the forklift who dented the cans.

The way I ride my Forza on dangerous roads the dog will probably out live me. Poodles live a long time.

-9C and snow is forecasted. Dakar Rally is on!!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

You ask if I ever rode a motorcycle. I have had motorcycles for 50 years. Now I have a PCX and my wife has one as well. I wanted another motorcycle but she said NO after we found out that I have leukemia... of course the 6 back surgeries didn't help either. After riding I always loved coming home to my dogs. They don't always skin here I have been or why it took so long. They just love the fact that I am home.

When I raised collies my daughter claimed one as her own. She was 4 years old. That dog would stick to her side like glue. One day she and her friends were playing in her room and got loud and rambunctious, like little 4 year olds do. Her collie got up from the corner where she was keeping an eye on her, and placed herself between my daughter and her friends. No growling, or anything else. She just quietly stood between them and her, protecting her. When we went for walks in our neighborhood we had the leashes on the dog's strictly because it was the law. They didn't need them. They just walked beside us, quietly guarding us.

I raised and bred some of the most beautiful tri-color collies in the South/Southeast in the United States. But when I had to move because of a job I could no longer raise them, so I sold or gave away all of my dogs. It broke my heart, and it was hard for me to even think about getting another dog for at least 6 years. Dogs have a way of getting into our hearts and staying in them. I would not have let my collies go if it could have been avoided at all. I hope I never have to again.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

davenowherejones wrote:Can't beat the dog guys so I'll join the conversation.

-9C and snow is forecasted. Dakar Rally is on!!!
HI Dave,

You are correct about the cheap dog food, it is worse than just the stinky mess. Cheap dog food is made as cheaply as possible, with no consideration if it is adequate or not, and will keep your dog in poor health. Feeding cheap dog food would be like feeding your child McDonalds EVERY meal, every day, you can expect problems...

Kayla gets 33 % of the best, most expensive dog food on the market, and 66 % human food. She is 8 years old now, active, runs, and is in perfect health. People are amazed to hear she is 8, she does not show her age at all.

Mike
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

Mel46 wrote:You ask if I ever rode a motorcycle. I have had motorcycles for 50 years. Now I have a PCX and my wife has one as well. I wanted another motorcycle but she said NO after we found out that I have leukemia... of course the 6 back surgeries didn't help either.
Hi Mel,

Sorry to hear that, it really sucks. What kind of motorcycle did you want to get ? I am trying to do the opposite, ride motorcycles less, and scooters more. I think the scooters are safer, let chance of leg injuries if hit or dropped on a slick surface. The Forza is also more comfortable, and no shifting, so make it an all around WIN.

Do you and your wife ride the PCX's together ? I looked at a PCX for my wife, but she actually likes the shifting and the GROM, but then again, she only does short rides.

Mike