Hello from Thailand

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Re: Hello from Thailand

Post by montliz44 »

Traded a couple of emails with Emmet at Bikerzbits and got the shipping problem solved. I was using Andreas' link to bikerzbits.co.th but I should have used bikerzbits.com since I'm in the US. Problem solved, parts ordered.

Thanks again Andreas.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

I got my rear shock extenders yesterday from Bikerzbits using DHL Express (talk about fast!) and installed them in about an hour. I could have done it quicker but I had to trim a little bit away from the rear fender on the right side so that the YSS reservoir would clear it without rubbing. Why I had to trim the right side and not the left I do not know, but the shocks angle back a little farther with the extenders in place, and that puts the right reservoir a little too close to the fender for my taste. Easy to fix.

Anyway, I agree with Linnets that you can feel a nice improvement in the ride. I'd say it feels less abrupt and generally smoother. Plus with my 32" inseam I can now flatfoot easily at a stoplight and get on and off the scoot noticeably easier. (I have a Thermoscud and a backrest on there, so I have to go over the top rather than across the hump.

They're really nicely finished parts and they fit perfectly. (I got the silver ones, which are polished aluminum billet). My total cost, using DHL, was $135 USD. Nice upgrade.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

Linnets wrote:So as I alluded to in my previous post I decided to do something about the rear suspension on the Forza so off i went to my local scooter tuning store and purchased some YSS piggyback reservoir shocks part No.TC302-400T-04O @ 6200 baht ($175) and a set of milled alloy extenders/height reducers @ 2500 baht ($70).

The idea behind the extenders is that you move the bottom mounting point of the shock absorber rearwards by about 60mm which for the same length shock reduces ride height and increases the trail of the rear suspension and very much improves the ride quality. I was persuaded to do this by the guys in my local shop who really seem to know their stuff and have been tuning Forzas since they were first introduced. They have also suggested that the front end can also be improved by fitting YSS valve cartridges into the front legs, might get that done later.

Removal and installation took me about 30 minutes with a 14mm combination spanner and a 14mm socket, extension bar and ratchet. Unlike the PCX no plastic panel removal needed as the top bolts can be accessed easily enough.

I set the spring preload so that there is a 20mm gap between the adjusting collar and the top casting and I've only tested it for a few Km's but I can tell already that the ride whilst still being firm is much more compliant and comfortable over uneven road surfaces than stock.
Also its much easier to reach the ground with the reduced ride height and in my opinion the increased trail improves the looks of the bike too, I've always thought the Forza stock upright position of the shocks looks naff.

Anyway this post is not much use without pictures so here goes.
A couple questions on these lowering links. Did you try the links using the stock shocks and if so, did you feel any improvement in the ride that way? And it appears from your photos that if you switch the links side to side from how you have them (left to right, etc) they will not lower the scooter as much, or not at all...or do they only fit as you show? Thanks
cocteau2x
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by cocteau2x »

idea behind the extenders is that you move the bottom mounting point of the shock absorber rearwards by about 60mm which for the same length shock reduces ride height and increases the trail of the rear suspension and very much improves the ride quality.
Could you do this to a PCX?
Would you do this to a PCX?
Did you do it to your old PCX?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

cocteau2x wrote:
idea behind the extenders is that you move the bottom mounting point of the shock absorber rearwards by about 60mm which for the same length shock reduces ride height and increases the trail of the rear suspension and very much improves the ride quality.
If your PCX had top mounted reservoirs on aftermarket shocks, it might interfere with the turn signal housings or rear guard because of the increased rearward angle.
Also, aftermarket shocks are usually spaced outward more at the bottom, so they are already closer to the rear guard on the sides without leaning them back more as it is.
You could always put 300mm long shocks on a PCX rather than use lowering blocks at funny angles. But yeah, it can be done, but I'm not sure you get better handling?
CamboForza
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by CamboForza »

Linnets wrote:Something I neglected to mention in my initial post was actually how much it cost me to purchase my Forza here in Thailand and I know people are always interested so...

Purchase cost of Forza 300 ABS 156,000 baht ($4,389)

OTR Costs including Compulsory Gvt Insurance, optional 2 year warranty and theft Insurance, Road Tax and number plates = 7,700 baht ($215)

So total cost OTR = 163,700 baht ($4,604).

How does that compare to the rest of the world?
Linnets,

I'm in Jomtien right now and would like to pick up some lowering blocks bedore I leave Monday.

Where did you get them from or are they everywhere?

Nice bike, plenty around here but hard to rent.

I'm going for new shocks in a couple of months as well.

Cheers
Honda Forza 300
YSS Front and Rear Upgrade
19 Gram Sliders
crispernator
Year: n/a
Color: n/a

Post by crispernator »

Hi i am new here but have been interested in the forza for a couple of years now , was looking at a pcx but maybe ok for tourist town riding but if you have to go any distance might need something a bit bigger so have looked at the forza . I hopefully will be retiring to thailand in the next few years and was wondering if you have done much riding in bangkok on the forza and how do you feel about it is it to bulky ect .There is a number of videos i have watched from a guy who lives there (thai ) and he has a series of 4 or so in bangkok but was wondering from a farang point of view what it is like to ride there .
He did one where he rode from bangkok to chaing mai in a day bit of a stretch but he did it people here complain about lane splitting and i tell them dont go to thailand you will have a seizure as it is a way of life there ,we had guys splitting at 80kmh whilst travelling in a taxi .
affeno
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by affeno »

Hello Linnets and others I bought my Forza 2013 and i like it for longer trips 5 month ago i bought a pcx150 2013 and I love it so I do not use my Forza very often any way I made a backrest for my Forza so now I can drive it hours with no problem with my back and ass
Attachments
RIMG0873-640x640.JPG
RIMG0873-640x640.JPG (71.27 KiB) Viewed 440 times
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by NADman »

cocteau2x wrote:
Wish I could but the Speedo sender on the left side is in the way on my '13.
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.