Top speed?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Post by DioTiAma »

AustinPCX, +1947! 157km/h, once, downhill, tailwind (a lot of times > 150km/h but only once > 155km/h). Reached electronic speed barrier a handful of times@9,500r.p.m. Everything O.E.M. (except handlbars, brake fluid caps & oil filler stick which are H2C). Changed two front tires & two rear ones. Changed rear brake pads@24,000km. Front ones still 40-50%. Reaching 31,500km today, not even 30 months old. I would buy it again.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Top speed?

Post by gn2 »

Miner's got 31000 miles and has had seven warranty repairs and two recalls.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

Yamaha TMAX 530 ABS costs €11,500! It has a major problem with the transmission axle. It is rusting badly and some owners had even changed it under warranty of course (75% of the engine disassembled). Yamaha has issued instructions that every 10,000km owners should take their scooters for greasing... The plastics around the steering wheel are vibrating... The tail light can get moisture in it even after rain! Made In Japan... What do you expect from a €5,000 scooter mostly Made and fully assembeled In Thailand?
Attachments
Yamaha TMAX 530.jpg
Yamaha TMAX 530.jpg (83.28 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I expect any product I buy to function perfectly for a reasonable length of time without breaking irrespective of where its made or how much it costs.

Three out of the four Hondas I've ever owned have had major quality control/reliability problems, I really don't know why I want another one....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

Respect your opinion but i disagree. Anyway, ride safe.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Quality standards are laid out in consumer protection law, so its not just me you're disagreeing with.
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

Nope, just with you.
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

gn2 wrote:
you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:Mine is happy at 70 in any conditions but takes ages to get over 80.
Won't do 80 uphill or into a headwind.

All hat hassle and fuss for 10mph over a pcx. Does the Forza have any good points?
Your maths are a bit dodgy...
In the real world my PCX sometimes dropped to around 40mph uphill if there was a wind blowing.
The Forza will pull 70mph in similar conditions.
I make that 30mph faster....
Certainly fast enough that trucks can't overtake, which happened all the time on my PCX

Other good points...
ABS means no locked wheels. Ever.
Bigger underseat storage means no ugly top box needed
Bigger and heavier means more stable
Bigger tank means more range
Bigger engine means faster acceleration and top speed
Bigger service interval means less time in the dealer (theoretically....)
The only thing the PCX has over the Forza 300 is a tighter turning circle.
Apart from that the Forza is much better at everything.

Would I buy another Forza?
Absolutely not.
Totally agree. Every 150cc I've had would slow down way too much going uphill or into winds, wouldn't want to ride them on the highway. No problem with wind or hills with the forza. Only had the 2 recalls done on it, may not have needed them either but better to have it done any way. No other problems at all so far.
asolof
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: Red

Post by asolof »

I took a test ride on Rt 55 (Southern NJ) today. The posted speed limit is 65mph, but traffic moves on it between 65 and 80mph. I maintained 70 to 75mph, occasionally drifting into the upper 70's, zipping past the slower cars. I was not "pushing it" and had reserve for more. I would describe the handling similar to the Burgman 400. More vibration and not as smooth as the Burgman 650, but that was expected. This was with the top box on.

So, I am satisfied. If want to take it to Florida, California, Nova Scotia, Alaska, whatever, it should be no problem. On the other hand, if I find I am going to be doing this frequently, I might consider a larger bike, because it would be smoother and I prefer having more reserve power for lane positioning at high speeds.

For right now, the lighter weight making it easier to push around, better gas mileage, and more readily available dealerships take precedence.
2016 Forza 300
Givi Airflow, Givi V56, Admore lights, Vista Cruise
Previous Bikes: 2006 B400, 2009 B650
gogobert
Year: 2014
Color: White

Post by gogobert »

gn2 wrote:
...SNIP!...

Absolutely not.
What would You buy next time? what do You recommend instead? and why no more Forza? :roll:

EDIT: the last question is already answered above I see now...

/ G
Honda Nss300 Forza 2014 - White
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Current plan is to replace the Forza with an NC750S DCT in the spring of next year.
I say "current" because I resrve the right to change my mind at a moment's notice.
Suzuki Bandit 1250S on offer just now at £6500 brand new with 0% finance might cause that plan to fail though...
Road-Dog
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by Road-Dog »

Pete07bikes wrote:My Forza 300 will top out at 85mph sitting upright but gets vibby at those speeds, it will sit comfortably at 70-75 but again fuel consumption suffers.
Think you'd need to look at a Burgman 400 or similar for sustained high speed highway work

same here!
gruntled

Post by gruntled »

I currently have a 2005 Yamaha Majesty (Only 91,000 miles so far but with a big stack of repair bills to show for it.) & a Harley Sportster. In my old age after 62 years of riding I have been thinking it may be time to downgrade. (I dropped the Harley at slow speed last April, took off a big patch of skin through my jacket & cracked a rib).
The Fonza has caught my eye & while I don't expect to ride on the freeways too much I was concerned
about how it would handle. I note that most motorcycle speedometers read as much as 10% high & I have found the odometers seem just about on. The question then is are your reported speeds REAL?
The longest trips I usually take are to Laughlin (246 miles) & Vegas which is a bit further. I expect going up the Grapevine on the Fonza may be out of the question & coming back the first big hill out of Needles may also be a problem.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

The Forza speedometer is accurate according to my gps but it is a heavy scooter.
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

gruntled wrote: I note that most motorcycle speedometers read as much as 10% high & I have found the odometers seem just about on. The question then is are your reported speeds REAL?
That is TOTALLY WRONG. This is a Honda forum, so I am talking about Honda's here, not cheap chinese bikes that will obviously lie... I have a stable full of different Honda motorcycles, they are stock and the speedometer is SPOT ON ACCURATE on all of them, both the digital and analogue speedos, within 1 MPH of the GPS. Same is true for my Honda SH150i Scooter.

I do not have a Forza, but given that I have 5 different Hondas, and the speedometers on all of them are DEAD ACCURATE, I would bet money that the Forza is accurate also.

Mike
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

The speedometer on my Forza is very accurate also according to my gps.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

The speedo on my PCX is about 5mph over at 60mph compared to GPS.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JetPilot wrote:
gruntled wrote: I note that most motorcycle speedometers read as much as 10% high & I have found the odometers seem just about on. The question then is are your reported speeds REAL?
That is TOTALLY WRONG. This is a Honda forum, so I am talking about Honda's here, not cheap chinese bikes that will obviously lie... I have a stable full of different Honda motorcycles, they are stock and the speedometer is SPOT ON ACCURATE on all of them, both the digital and analogue speedos, within 1 MPH of the GPS. Same is true for my Honda SH150i Scooter.

I do not have a Forza, but given that I have 5 different Hondas, and the speedometers on all of them are DEAD ACCURATE, I would bet money that the Forza is accurate also.

Mike

Depends on the area. North America is generally accurate, Europe generally over reads by up to 10%
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

I don't know how accurate Google maps are-but from my driveway to a local lake was calculated at a convenient
13.0 km -made the run and my odometer hit that exact number upon arrival right to the decimal point
guessing if my odometer is on so is my speed?
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

same as Alibally...GPS says 50mph...speedo says 55mph...10% out...must be a UK/Euro thing...