Top speed?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mikeoc
Year: 2020 Forza 300

Top speed?

Post by mikeoc »

Hi all, currently researching 300+cc bikes and was wondering what you all get for top speeds, as different reviews say different things :)

I'm stepping up from a 125cc as my mom isn't so well and it takes a good 4hrs to go visit in the car (as opposed to the 2.5hrs Google Maps always assure me!) mainly due to high traffic levels, so I need to know that it can keep up with traffic safely on the motorways, with enough power to get out of trouble if needed etc. The other scooter I'm looking at is probably the Xmax 400.

Many thanks!

Mike
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: Top speed?

Post by davenowherejones »

The Forza is not a 300+ machine. It only has 278cc

I top out at 130 kmph. Downwind I got 145 one day. Upwind, don't ask. 120 kmph is rough but 110 kmph I can do all day. Where are you?

The Forza is not really a USA interstate machine.

And Google Maps lies!!!
Pete07bikes
Color: White

Post by Pete07bikes »

My Forza 300 will top out at 85mph sitting upright but gets vibby at those speeds, it will sit comfortably at 70-75 but again fuel consumption suffers.
Think you'd need to look at a Burgman 400 or similar for sustained high speed highway work
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The most powerful 400 class scooter is the Peugeot Satelis although not by much.
Best bargain buy is the Kymco Downtown 300 at just four grand which has 29hp and can do a genuine 90mph with a slight tweak or two.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

The Kymco Downtown 300i looks like good value. The Piaggio BV350 is said to have a good motor, and not just on paper.
pullin_gs
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by pullin_gs »

mikeoc wrote:Hi all, currently researching 300+cc bikes and was wondering what you all get for top speeds, as different reviews say different things :)

I'm stepping up from a 125cc as my mom isn't so well and it takes a good 4hrs to go visit in the car (as opposed to the 2.5hrs Google Maps always assure me!) mainly due to high traffic levels, so I need to know that it can keep up with traffic safely on the motorways, with enough power to get out of trouble if needed etc. The other scooter I'm looking at is probably the Xmax 400.

Many thanks!

Mike
Its a good "all-day" 60-65MPH bike. Freeway (70mph) is fine in a pinch, but not for trips IMO.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

pullin_gs wrote:
mikeoc wrote:Hi all, currently researching 300+cc bikes and was wondering what you all get for top speeds, as different reviews say different things :)

Many thanks!

Mike
Its a good "all-day" 60-65MPH bike. Freeway (70mph) is fine in a pinch, but not for trips IMO.

You can do trips on anything. Some people do it on bikes that don't even have engines.

Apparently
asolof
Year: 2016 Forza 300

Post by asolof »

<<
>>

Based on the specs I was expecting it to handle 70 - 75 MPH without a problem. If not, I'm going to be disappointed.

I tested it briefly in that range, but not for any sustained riding.
2016 Forza 300
Givi Airflow, Givi V56, Admore lights, Vista Cruise
Previous Bikes: 2006 B400, 2009 B650
pullin_gs
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pullin_gs »

you you wrote:
pullin_gs wrote:

Many thanks!

Mike

You can do trips on anything. Some people do it on bikes that don't even have engines.

Apparently
If you take a bicycle or small powered scooter or bike (49cc or less) on any Freeway in my area (Virginia), the law will give you a free trip to the next exit.
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

I was on the highway today and all the traffic around me was going 80 mph so I decided to ride along with them. Did it no problem, handled great.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

waybar wrote:I was on the highway today and all the traffic around me was going 80 mph so I decided to ride along with them. Did it no problem, handled great.
OK, so how heavy are you? I am about 200 pounds with all my gear (heavy gear, yeah right!) I am wide open throttle at 80 mph and it is rough. Today I did 600 km (373 miles) at about 110 kmph (68 mph) and most of it was in the mountains.
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Basically speed and rpm are relative.
6000rpm - 60mph GPS
7000rpm - 70mph
8000rpm - 80mph
Forza300 redline is 9000rpm so top speed is around 90mph actual.
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:Basically speed and rpm are relative.
6000rpm - 60mph GPS
7000rpm - 70mph
8000rpm - 80mph
Forza300 redline is 9000rpm so top speed is around 90mph actual.
Theoretically yes, but in reality I can't go that fast. With a strong tailwind maybe. Downhill at sea level on a cold day???
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mine is happy at 70 in any conditions but takes ages to get over 80.
Won't do 80 uphill or into a headwind.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

davenowherejones wrote:
waybar wrote:I was on the highway today and all the traffic around me was going 80 mph so I decided to ride along with them. Did it no problem, handled great.
OK, so how heavy are you? I am about 200 pounds with all my gear (heavy gear, yeah right!) I am wide open throttle at 80 mph and it is rough. Today I did 600 km (373 miles) at about 110 kmph (68 mph) and most of it was in the mountains.
I'm around 185 lbs, don't carry a lot of cargo with me. Don't normally ride that fast, but since all the traffic around me was going that fast, thought I would just see how it would handle at that speed once. Only on highway for 15 minutes. I don't think I would ride it that fast for an extended period of time.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

For my 2 cents worth, I had a Burgman 400 and it did freeways quite nicely. I put the Givi windshield on it so that my hands would have wind coverage, but other than that it was fine. When I got onto the freeway it had plenty of power and was really comfortable. I bought mine used so I saved on money, but it didn't make any difference in its abilities. That engine could have run to 100,000 miles. There are great deals out there on them. Try Craigslist, and don't be afraid to go a little out of your real. You could easily ride it home if it was in another state.
It would be nice if we knew your location Mikeoc. Please add it. Thanks.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Mine is happy at 70 in any conditions but takes ages to get over 80.

All hat hassle and fuss for 10mph over a pcx. Does the Forza have any good points?
mikeoc
Year: 2020 Forza 300

Post by mikeoc »

Thanks for all the input everyone, really appreciate it. I as hoping for a bit more consistency on top speeds :-) But overall, I think I'm better going for something a bit bigger. I'm in London, UK, and the motorway trips would be to the other side of Birmingham, so a good 2-2.5hrs motorway riding.

The Satelis 400i is obviously on my radar, given I ride a Peugeot Citystar 125 currently, but should the lack of ABS be a deal-breaker? Otherwise Burgman or Xmax 400.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:

All hat hassle and fuss for 10mph over a pcx. Does the Forza have any good points?
Your maths are a bit dodgy...
In the real world my PCX sometimes dropped to around 40mph uphill if there was a wind blowing.
The Forza will pull 70mph in similar conditions.
I make that 30mph faster....
Certainly fast enough that trucks can't overtake, which happened all the time on my PCX

Other good points...
ABS means no locked wheels. Ever.
Bigger underseat storage means no ugly top box needed
Bigger and heavier means more stable
Bigger tank means more range
Bigger engine means faster acceleration and top speed
Bigger service interval means less time in the dealer (theoretically....)
The only thing the PCX has over the Forza 300 is a tighter turning circle.
Apart from that the Forza is much better at everything.

Would I buy another Forza?
Absolutely not.
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

gn2 wrote:
you you wrote:

Your maths are a bit dodgy...
In the real world my PCX sometimes dropped to around 40mph uphill if there was a wind blowing.
The Forza will pull 70mph in similar conditions.
I make that 30mph faster....
Certainly fast enough that trucks can't overtake, which happened all the time on my PCX

Other good points...
ABS means no locked wheels. Ever.
Bigger underseat storage means no ugly top box needed
Bigger and heavier means more stable
Bigger tank means more range
Bigger engine means faster acceleration and top speed
Bigger service interval means less time in the dealer (theoretically....)
The only thing the PCX has over the Forza 300 is a tighter turning circle.
Apart from that the Forza is much better at everything.

Would I buy another Forza?
Absolutely not.
As a former PCX owner I agree with all the above except I would definitely buy another Forza. Over 20,000 miles without a single issue. Still runs as good as the day I drove it off the lot. Doesn't even have a scratch on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk