Forza 300/A vibration issues

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

MORON
Regular User
Regular User

Forza 300/A vibration issues

Post by MORON »

Just thought I would offer a heads up as to my forza and what the situation is as a warning...Before I bought my forza I was a pcx 150 owner and loved it...except the speed loss going up hills, so I did my research online and decided to get a forza....the dealer would not let me test drive it off the lot for insurance reasons but i was allowed to drive it around the parking lot in which I reached a speed of maybe 40 mph. Anyway I bought the forza. All seemed well until on the first ride home when i took it over 66mph...this is where the vibration starts and builds to 70mph..It tapers and gets smooth again at 75...this vibration is very irritating and I think, dangerous. Honda is coming back with "this is normal". This was the judgement on the NSS250. This is bullshit. I am just letting people know on all forums that they need to be aware of this...I love this bike....until 66 mph...then I love it again at 75...Be careful buyers...this cannot just be my Forza...
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: Forza 300/A vibration issues

Post by Alibally »

Tried getting the wheels balanced?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MORON wrote:Just thought I would offer a heads up as to my forza and what the situation is as a warning...Before I bought my forza I was a pcx 150 owner and loved it...except the speed loss going up hills, so I did my research online and decided to get a forza....the dealer would not let me test drive it off the lot for insurance reasons but i was allowed to drive it around the parking lot in which I reached a speed of maybe 40 mph. Anyway I bought the forza. All seemed well until on the first ride home when i took it over 66mph...this is where the vibration starts and builds to 70mph..It tapers and gets smooth again at 75...this vibration is very irritating and I think, dangerous. Honda is coming back with "this is normal". This was the judgement on the NSS250. This is bullshit. I am just letting people know on all forums that they need to be aware of this...I love this bike....until 66 mph...then I love it again at 75...Be careful buyers...this cannot just be my Forza...

You seem very cross about a lot of things in your posts.

Just saying......
MORON
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MORON »

yea true you you...no probs....your right. I am pissed off. I expect a lot... did my research and feel like I kinda got screwed. but it all might work out. However, i wont get any help from Roseville Honda now that "ive already signed the contract" their words... but another thing that pissing me off is misrepresentation of data. like the mileage of the forza, quality of other comparable bikes etc...there seems to be a larger amount of bullshitters on the forums now. forums are or were a great place to get an idea of what a product is but if goofballs are not being honest or have their heads up there asses then we cant get good info and make a good decision. this is the day and age of consistent rip-offs.. I think more than ever, forums and blogs are the place to talk to consumers..us...and get the real story. that is getting harder. this might be the wrong place for me...for instance I derived the mileage for my forza by using a hikers gauge to get the real mileage from point a to point b. then filled a liter container and put it under my seat. I drove the distance until my tank was empty, recorded it then put the liter in. this was up and downhill driving at various highway speeds. 56mpg. this is real. honda reports on their online sales brochure of 68 mpg. which you can instantly knock off 10mpg because all dealers are full of shit....no big deal really, its just the nature of the beast. so at 56 mpg that fits pretty well with what I expected. what i get tired of is the idiots who report like 85 mpg or 80...its just wanker crap...not sure why but it happens. so anyway...its ok...its all about what your expectations are. I really should not be on this forum at all.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Your method for assesing real world fuel consumption is far from ideal.
Looking at greater distances over a number of tank fulls gives a far better picture.
Being angry at Honda is no good, the real problem is your own lack of knowledge and understanding.
Some simple research wouldn't go amiss.
Did you read all of this page?
http://powersports.honda.com/2014/forza ... tions.aspx
Did you understand how they arrive at the mpg figure and what that means for real world usage?
Did you cover conservation of energy in school?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Gingivitis Khan

Post by Gingivitis Khan »

MORON wrote: [snip] ...this was up and downhill driving at various highway speeds. 56mpg. this is real. honda reports on their online sales brochure of 68 mpg. which you can instantly knock off 10mpg because all dealers are full of shit....no big deal really, its just the nature of the beast. so at 56 mpg that fits pretty well with what I expected. what i get tired of is the idiots who report like 85 mpg or 80...its just wanker crap... [snip]
My ride to work is on roads with a top speed limit of 35mph, and I get 85-99mpg.
When I ride on the interstate at 70-75mph, I only get 55-57mpg.

Go figure.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MORON wrote:yea true you you...no probs....your right. I am pissed off. I expect a lot... did my research and feel like I kinda got screwed. but it all might work out. However, i wont get any help from Roseville Honda now that "ive already signed the contract" their words... but another thing that pissing me off is misrepresentation of data. like the mileage of the forza, quality of other comparable bikes etc...there seems to be a larger amount of bullshitters on the forums now. forums are or were a great place to get an idea of what a product is but if goofballs are not being honest or have their heads up there asses then we cant get good info and make a good decision. this is the day and age of consistent rip-offs.. I think more than ever, forums and blogs are the place to talk to consumers..us...and get the real story. that is getting harder. this might be the wrong place for me...for instance I derived the mileage for my forza by using a hikers gauge to get the real mileage from point a to point b. then filled a liter container and put it under my seat. I drove the distance until my tank was empty, recorded it then put the liter in. this was up and downhill driving at various highway speeds. 56mpg. this is real. honda reports on their online sales brochure of 68 mpg. which you can instantly knock off 10mpg because all dealers are full of shit....no big deal really, its just the nature of the beast. so at 56 mpg that fits pretty well with what I expected. what i get tired of is the idiots who report like 85 mpg or 80...its just wanker crap...not sure why but it happens. so anyway...its ok...its all about what your expectations are. I really should not be on this forum at all.

A good case, well put :roll:
MORON
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MORON »

gn 2...your clueless....seriously....um....for what it's worth, I'm an environmental studies graduate from Penn. However, I am not an engineer and I doubt seriously you are either. But shit man, its just not necessary..you want to start waxing intellectual? You want to start talking drag co-efficients, wind speed test configs, surface friction variables....do you want to waste time? In the real world people need to know what they are getting for their dollar; presented in terms in which they can understand. off-set cranks means nothing. what gingivitus khans (bravo gingivitus khan!!) reports does..the facts i report does...it's real world information in real world terms. why bother with over technical crap or under technical boasting...both of which you are pathetically guilty of. there is a huge difference between desperately wanting to be right and just being right. the later achieved with conscious education, the fore being achieved with a fucking chip on your shoulder. Gn 2 and the other miss-informers are the problem..we that want reliable REAL info are irritated by your posturing. Real info that matters helps us make good decisions... I think possibly, as with other blogs, there are Honda reps purposely reporting bogus facts...a stretch maybe but there is just too much bullshit on the web now to dismiss that possibility.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Environmental studies....
Couldn't get on a real course?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MichRocks »

I could try to determine a better gage of my mileage, but anecdotally, the Forza fill-ups I have so far recorded were: 61.4mpg, 66.2mpg, 68.2mpg, 69.1mpg, 66.1mpg, 70.05mpg, and 67.7mpg. Averaging the mpgs gives 66.95. Temperatures varied from 33F on the low side to 73F on the high side. Some trips had STRONG headwinds, others, none. This driving included some freeway, but mostly back-roads and in-town where speeds range from 25mph in the towns, to 55/65mph on the back-roads. Also, this is in Michigan, where it is all FLAT. Regardless, the average mileage I get doesn't seem all that far from what Honda indicated I should expect. I never hit high mileage numbers like others report, but am happy with the scoot considering I (was) saving $8/day in gas costs over the truck. Now that snow is on the ground, it's back to $$ until March. : (
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Environmental studies....

One that introduces the concept of paragraphs?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

MORON wrote:I derived the mileage for my forza by using a hikers gauge to get the real mileage from point a to point b. then filled a liter container and put it under my seat. I drove the distance until my tank was empty, recorded it then put the liter in.
The Forza is showing an average of about 66 mpgUS, 80 mpgImp, 28 Km/L on Fuelly. Fuelly gives a good, real world idea of what people really get in any given vehicle.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/forza%20300
The best way to check fuel economy is to fill the tank to the brim, ride until the tank is nearly empty, and fill the tank again to the same place. A three tank running average helps eliminate fill errors. You must also verify the accuracy of the odometer over the course of at least 20 miles or more. GPS can be pretty close if the road is not too hilly. A hiker's gauge makes no account for the up and down part of a map. But the easiest way is to take a ride on the highway and reset your trip odometer just when you go past a mile marker and then check it again after 20 mile markers. My USA PCX and CBR250R are dead on.
Most shops lack the proper fittings to balance scooter wheels. Dyna beads work well for balancing scooter wheels. Not cheap, but worth it. I have them in my PCX and they work perfectly. Just dump them in through the tire valve.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/50 ... =SLIsearch
Balanced tires will be nice but it sounds more likely that you are feeling a belt oscillation at 65 mph. You could try a slightly (most after market springs are way too much of a change) stiffer contra spring which would make the belt tighter to reduce the amplitude of the vibration and also move it higher in frequency to a higher speed so it is not right in the highway cruise speed. You might have to have a good scooter shop match up something as I don't find much listed for the Forza but the dimensions are probably known from other models.
chucktuna
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by chucktuna »

you you wrote:

Had to subscribe to this one just for the entertainment value!
:lol:
Too many scoots..... 12 or so I think .
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

chucktuna wrote:
you you wrote:

Had to subscribe to this one just for the entertainment value!
:lol:

Don't laugh, they do exist. A honda dealer told me :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

My Forza came with balance wights fitted front and rear.
Its smooth as silk save for some mild vibration at idle and a bit of a buzz at 70ish.
The Forza is easily the smoothest single cylinder machine over 125cc I've ever ridden.
blackcat54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by blackcat54 »

gn2,

Would the buzz at 70ish mph cause any problems lets say during a long day of steady 70mph cruising?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

blackcat54 wrote:gn2,

Would the buzz at 70ish mph cause any problems lets say during a long day of steady 70mph cruising?
Good question as gn2 does a lot of cruising....
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I've not sat at 70 for more than a couple of minutes so can't really say what it would be like over a longer period.
If I wanted to sit at 70 for extended periods on a regular basis I would have bought something bigger than a 300.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I've not sat at 70 for more than a couple of minutes so can't really say what it would be like over a longer period.
If I wanted to sit at 70 for extended periods on a regular basis I would have bought something bigger than a 300.

That's a good point.

I got into the whole twist and go thing and bought a gilera runner 180 and did the usual variator stuff and then really tuned it up

95 to 100 mph etc etc on the clock. But tbh it wasn't that good dynamically or really that fast

Perhaps scooters are at their best when they can't do 70mph, or 80 on a Forza if you must

The best thing about them is wringing what you can out of them and enjoying it
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

I use my Forza almost exclusively for commuting to work. My 13 mile each way daily commute is a one stop sign,very light traffic 70+mph ride. I've experienced no vibration whatsoever.