Saw a picture, found one and bought it straight away

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jonesro

Saw a picture, found one and bought it straight away

Post by jonesro »

I had been looking at scooters for the better part of a year and the ones I liked best were all too tall for my 5'2". Then magically I saw a picture of the Forza, noted the awesome styling and the seat height, and I think I got the first one to hit Sacramento! I've had it for a few weeks and just love it. Thanks to this forum, I discovered that there is now a taller windscreen available and I have that on order right now. The low windscreen was the only thing about the Forza that didn't thrill me. The Forza is my eighth bike, and likely will be my last. My previous bikes over the last 30 years have been: 1977 Honda Hawk 400, Honda 500 Interceptor (1983? can't remember), Yamaha FZ600, Honda Pacific Coast #1, Honda GB500 #1, Honda Pacific Coast # 2, Honda GB500 # 2, and the Forza.
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Saw a picture, found one and bought it straight away

Post by Darth Emma »

Congratulations! I also love my Forza. It is just the right size, maneuvers well, and has plenty of power for me.
Rides 2014 Honda Forza, 2012 Honda Ruckus
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

Yep, nice choice, absolutely chuffed with mine, first service next week:-)
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome to hondapcx.org .... even if it is as a Forza owner. ;) I like the Forza a lot but it is too big to weave between the cars in downtown Bangkok traffic. I'll stick with the PCX until I move to a less congested place.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

kramnala58 wrote:I like the Forza a lot but it is too big to weave between the cars in downtown Bangkok traffic.
Nonsense.
You can do it if you really want...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

gn2 wrote:
kramnala58 wrote:I like the Forza a lot but it is too big to weave between the cars in downtown Bangkok traffic.
Nonsense. You can do it if you really want...
Thanks for your expertise on this. ;) When was the last time you rode a bike in the center of Bangkok?

We literally weave in an out between the cars, usually with not much more than a centimeter or two clearance at the mirrors. The longer wheel base of the PCX over most bikes here is challenging enough, thus, going to the longer and wider Forza just makes it harder. If I am going to get stuck behind a car, I might as well do it sitting in another car with A/C. Riding a bike in this city cuts travel time at least in half, if not even more during busy times. The morning rush hour traffic is usually from about 5:00am-1:00pm and the afternoon/evening rush hour is usually from about 1:15pm to 10:00pm. :lol: :lol: ;)
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Sorry, I was forgetting that cars and traffic in Bangkok are completely different to cars and traffic anywhere else on the planet.

PCX 1917x738
NSS 2166x753

So the Forza is about half an inch wider and less than ten inches longer.
i.e. fucking massive. Not.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

kramnala58 wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Nonsense. You can do it if you really want...
Thanks for your expertise on this. ;) When was the last time you rode a bike in the center of Bangkok?

We literally weave in an out between the cars, usually with not much more than a centimeter or two clearance at the mirrors. The longer wheel base of the PCX over most bikes here is challenging enough, thus, going to the longer and wider Forza just makes it harder. If I am going to get stuck behind a car, I might as well do it sitting in another car with A/C. Riding a bike in this city cuts travel time at least in half, if not even more during busy times. The morning rush hour traffic is usually from about 5:00am-1:00pm and the afternoon/evening rush hour is usually from about 1:15pm to 10:00pm. :lol: :lol: ;)
Don't worry about GN2's experience, or the lack of it, it will never get in the way of his opinions

Let's rejoice in the way he gives them so freely
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

I don't want to take sides. I think both bikes are great and each have their own virtues. However, I was really surprised by how nimble the Forza really is.

Also, I sat on both a PCX150 and a Forza at the dealer. I was surprised to find that the seat height on the Forza is actually a bit lower and more comfortable (for me) than the PCX. So, it gave me more confidence about riding the Forza and, more importantly, confidence that it would be easy to handle when stopping and taking off from a stop.

For the vertically challenged, the small difference in seat height is an important factor to consider.

Both the PCX and Forza are great bikes. Pick the bike that fits you and your needs.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

you you wrote:Don't worry about GN2's experience, or the lack of it, it will never get in the way of his opinions. Let's rejoice in the way he gives them so freely
;) :lol: :roll:
MORON
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MORON »

Just got my Forza!!! Traded in my PCX 150 and some cash...Loved my PCX but just got really tired, after a year, of the slow uphills and the automatic rpm cutoffs. Had Dr Sliders in the PCX and cruised at 69 mph on the flats but uphill is a different animal. Mileage went out the window also in the wind..looking forward to reading REAL reviews of some Forza riders.
MORON
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MORON »

BTW, no probs weaving, even with my cortech saddle bags, in traffic... I do find it a bit more stressful than when I had my PCX 150 however...
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

If I tried weaving, splitting lanes, or going around cars at a light or a traffic hold up, I would be a dead man. At a minimum, ticketed, and, more likely, doored.

The 50 cc scoots can get away with it since they are SUPPOSED to be at the side of the road, but with a regular licence plate, you are motor vehicle and as such constrained to the same laws as those less-nimble four-wheel things clogging up the road.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

GeorgeSK wrote:If I tried weaving, splitting lanes, or going around cars at a light or a traffic hold up, I would be a dead man. At a minimum, ticketed, and, more likely, doored.
If we couldn't weave between the cars, we would never be able to line up at the lights like this. o_O Technically, all motorcycles/scooters are supposed to stay in the left lane in Thailand, but that never happens.
BKK Motorcycles at Light_800x600.jpg
BKK Motorcycles at Light_800x600.jpg (153.71 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

That is a great picture! We do NOT deal with that kind of scooter traffic here in the US. Are there 3 people on some of those scooters?

BTW, in reply to GeorgeSK... in Ohio even a 50cc scoot is considered a motorcycle and has to have a plate. The laws here see no difference between my Ruckus (50cc) and my Forza. (The laws vary by state.) But, I never ride the Ruckus on busy roads with speed limits over 50 mph.

Also, I totally agree that a 50cc scoot can squeeze into place my Forza cannot (or at least I won't try it).
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

Darth Emma wrote:That is a great picture! We do NOT deal with that kind of scooter traffic here in the US. Are there 3 people on some of those scooters?
No kidding. In my area, it's rare to be at an intersection with even one other scooter or motorcycle.
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

GeorgeSK wrote:If I tried weaving, splitting lanes, or going around cars at a light or a traffic hold up, I would be a dead man. At a minimum, ticketed, and, more likely, doored.

The 50 cc scoots can get away with it since they are SUPPOSED to be at the side of the road, but with a regular licence plate, you are motor vehicle and as such constrained to the same laws as those less-nimble four-wheel things clogging up the road.
I believe that almost everywhere in the US it's illegal to weave between vehicles and riding between cars on the white line. It annoys me when I see people doing it here and it's definitely very unsafe. Since it's illegal, cars don't watch and you could get wiped out easily by doing it. Not to mention being ticketed.
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

PKrellner wrote:

I believe that almost everywhere in the US it's illegal to weave between vehicles and riding between cars on the white line. It annoys me when I see people doing it here and it's definitely very unsafe. Since it's illegal, cars don't watch and you could get wiped out easily by doing it. Not to mention being ticketed.

I know it is legal in California. It's called "lane splitting."
http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

I've seen several videos of people doing it.

I agree, it doesn't look safe to me.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Darth Emma wrote:We do NOT deal with that kind of scooter traffic here in the US.
That picture was taken by a guy I work with just around the corner from where I live in the center of Bangkok. I had never ridden a motorcycle in my life before moving here Fortunately I have a large parking lot at work (½ km from my apartment) where I was able to set up traffic cones to practice maneuvering and and huge tobacco processing facility just behind us where I would practice riding on the road. After about 100 kms of that I ventured out into the concrete jungle with the mass of bikes and cars. I have only put about 1,000 kms on thus far so I am no where near an expert, but slow and steady gets me there.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Darth Emma wrote:Are there 3 people on some of those scooters?
There may well be. Here is a picture of one of our employees heading home for the day. She is the one on the back. Every time I see this sort of thing (which is daily), I whisper a prayer.
Attachments
2013-08-14 17.13.02_800x600.jpg
2013-08-14 17.13.02_800x600.jpg (104.28 KiB) Viewed 2176 times