Nice ride, today.

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

meissinger
Regular User
Regular User

Nice ride, today.

Post by meissinger »

This afternoon, I needed some "me" time, so I hopped on the Forza and headed out -- did about 80+ miles driving on everything from city streets, divided 4 lane roads, windy country roads, a few small hills, a couple of decent overpasses, and a few miles of freeway. The little puppy ran great at speeds from 0-75, with most of the cruising between 60-65+. Took one stop to get gas, and one stop to take a picture of an historic building in one of the tiny little towns that I reference a few times in my Ph.D. research (I might use it, in the future).

All in all, a great ride. My butt didn't hurt like it often did on long rides on the PCX (a bike I still love). The gas mileage, according to the gauge is still only in the mid-60mpg range, but I'm assuming that will improve a tiny bit as it gets more miles (haven't even broken the 200 mile mark, yet - which is why I tried to keep the speed down, except when I needed to make room on the freeway for merging traffic).

Very happy with my decision to upgrade.
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Nice ride, today.

Post by Darth Emma »

I am at 250 miles on mine. The fuel economy gauge has gone up from 60 on the first tank to 68 on the second tank. I haven't actually checked it using the trip meter.

I also love my Forza. I "downgraded" from a bigger bike, but it was the right choice for me. :)
Rides 2014 Honda Forza, 2012 Honda Ruckus
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Has anyone found out yet if the economy meter on the US Forzas uses US gallons or Imperial gallons?

My UK one is accurate to +/- 2mpg so far
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

Good question... I assumed it's US gallons. I will check the owner manual today and let you know if it says anything about it.
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

Under "refueling," my owner's manual says...
"Tank Capacity: 3.0 US gal (11.5 liters)"

Under "Instruments" it says...
"Fuel gauge Needle in the red (E) mark, remaining fuel approximately 0.95 US gal (3.6 liters)"

Under "Average fuel consumption meter" it says...
"Shows average fuel consumption in mile/gal, km/l or l/100km based on the trip meter A."

So, it looks like the US verson of the Forza does use US gallons.

I have never had a vehicle sold to me by a US dealer that didn't use US gallons. I expect it's required by law so that we can compare vehicle fuel economies of vehicles (apples to apples).

I just got back from my first windy-day ride. I had to slow down a tad, but it wasn't too bad. I live in a rural area and the farmers have harvested most of the crops. So, the wind had some open areas to give me a good push!
meissinger
Regular User
Regular User

Post by meissinger »

Darth Emma wrote:I am at 250 miles on mine. The fuel economy gauge has gone up from 60 on the first tank to 68 on the second tank. I haven't actually checked it using the trip meter.
Glad to hear that it wasn't just me. I really don't want to even worry about the mileage on the 1st tank because I don't know how full it was when I got it from the dealer (it was "full"), nor do I know how many times the computers may have been "reset" during set up (if at all). I figure by the time I get two or three tanks on the puppy it will be more accurate. When I refilled it, as part of the trip, it was just below half on the gauge and I put in less than 1.5 gallons (US) into the tank. Time will tell. It's not the 100 mpg I got on the PCX, but it's still very respectable for the US market.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

What field is your Ph.D. going to be in?
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

I wish I could have had a scooter when I was in grad school. I had to hoof it back and forth to campus. But I was renting half a duplex with some other grad students only 1 mile from the lab. It was a nice walk except in winter.
meissinger
Regular User
Regular User

Post by meissinger »

Interdisciplinary Anthropology/History.

The campus is 60+ miles away, so I usually take the train and city bus to the campus. Occasionally, I drive, but I prefer to use the train.

The scoot is for "alternative" transportation. I hadn't had a bike for a long time and I enjoy it. Fun -- not transportation.

However, I did just get another teaching assignment for next term about 12 miles from home -- that's scooter distance except on really cold or wet days. It'll get used, for that. My other teaching assignments are at the college a block from home (silly to use the Forza or even the Zuma 50, for that) and 50 miles the opposite direction from the school with my graduate program. So, some days, I walk to work, other days I can ride the scooter or use public transportation, yet others I have to drive the car. I think I cover all the basics of land transportation.
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MrSuperchicken1 »

Well, if you were getting 100 mpg on the PCX, and now are only seeing 60 on the Forza...I would probably see 40, since I only get 73-75 on the PCX. :-(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

MrSuperchicken1 wrote:Well, if you were getting 100 mpg on the PCX, and now are only seeing 60 on the Forza...I would probably see 40, since I only get 73-75 on the PCX. :-(
It depends how you use it.
I am getting 78mpg commuting on the Forza compared to 85mpg on the PCX.
Journey is 27 miles, 25 miles A-road and a couple of miles in the city.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MrSuperchicken1 »

gn2 wrote:
MrSuperchicken1 wrote:Well, if you were getting 100 mpg on the PCX, and now are only seeing 60 on the Forza...I would probably see 40, since I only get 73-75 on the PCX. :-(
It depends how you use it.
I am getting 78mpg commuting on the Forza compared to 85mpg on the PCX.
Journey is 27 miles, 25 miles A-road and a couple of miles in the city.
That is comforting to know you didn't drop much with the same commute- which is obviously more strenuous than all these folks getting 100 mpg with 400 pounds of weight and 80 mph (exaggerating of course, but seems like some carry as much weight as me or more and yet get better gas mileage than I do.) May be worth the upgrade then.