1000 miles

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

1000 miles

Post by gn2 »

Well that's me got a thousand miles on the Forza as of this morning.
Averaging 78mpg so far.
Saw a grey one out on the road yesterday.
Major discovery... a bottle of wine fits in the lockable box in the fairing 8)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: 1000 miles

Post by GeorgeSK »

Boy, that didn't take very long!

And a very happy discovery as well. Seems that having the old center stand soil the sheets was, in a weird way, a blessing in disguise for you.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

gn2 wrote: Major discovery... a bottle of wine fits in the lockable box in the fairing 8)
I've made a stop on the way home at the beer distributor (we have those in Pa. can't get a 6 pack at the grocery store yet.. Pennsylvania is in the dark ages when it comes to buying beer and wine) and fit an 18 packer under the seat, with a few in the back GIVI box just to balance things out. haven't tried a 30 packer yet. I tried a 24 pack at home just to see if it's possible. Yep!
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

Great info on the wine thing. :D
Rides 2014 Honda Forza, 2012 Honda Ruckus
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

ScooterKim wrote:
gn2 wrote: Major discovery... a bottle of wine fits in the lockable box in the fairing 8)
I've made a stop on the way home at the beer distributor (we have those in Pa. can't get a 6 pack at the grocery store yet.. Pennsylvania is in the dark ages when it comes to buying beer and wine) and fit an 18 packer under the seat, with a few in the back GIVI box just to balance things out. haven't tried a 30 packer yet. I tried a 24 pack at home just to see if it's possible. Yep!

Oooo ... great info on the beer capacity.
Ever try Lancaster Brewing's Milk Stout? ... Mmmm, yummy!
Visited Lancaster a year ago and enjoyed the food and beer at LB.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
meissinger
Regular User
Regular User

Post by meissinger »

ScooterKim wrote:
did you just pour the ice over the cans to keep them cool?
MORON
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MORON »

just wondering how forza owners are getting "78" mpg..(us gallon) I ran mine dry with a liter under my seat and got 56 mpg...there IS only one way to honestly determine mileage...using a map, determining distances with a map gauge, hikers know what I'm talking about, and then running dry... the speedometer and especially the trip gauge as we know are bogus...even Honda themselves on the website of the dealership reports 68 mpg...I've heard 73, 78 75.....stupid...it just gets a bit irritating after a while.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Darth Emma wrote:Great info on the wine thing. :D

He really means Irn Bru.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

you you wrote:
Darth Emma wrote:Great info on the wine thing. :D

He really means Irn Bru.
Or buckfast
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

gn2 wrote:Well that's me got a thousand miles on the Forza as of this morning.
Averaging 78mpg so far.
Saw a grey one out on the road yesterday.
Major discovery... a bottle of wine fits in the lockable box in the fairing 8)

No drinking wine from the bottle while riding, or you will never make it to 2000 miles !!!!

Mike
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Sound advice, bit of an old thread to dig up...?
My Forza now has 33,700 miles on it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

At least it shows the search function works...

gn2 - how many miles/seasons are you now expecting out of your Forza? I know you are not thrilled with it; is there anything else tickling your fancy in the next couple of years?

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

There's always something tickling my fancy.

The Forza will probably be gone by the summer.
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

gn2 wrote:Sound advice, bit of an old thread to dig up...?
My Forza now has 33,700 miles on it.
I guess one would be bored with any scooter after that many miles. It is easy to loose perspective and complain more than one should after riding the same one every day. " Familiarity breeds contempt " is a very true saying.

I think you will appreciate the Honda Forza more after its gone, and you are stuck riding something else !

Mike
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Its fine while I'm riding, its the time between when I think of all the hassle it has given me.
The thing still has two more recalls to be done.
I had a cunning plan to be rid of it last September but it fell through.
Currently lusting after a Triumph, might just treat myself to a nice Xmas present.
dougfreeze
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by dougfreeze »

MORON wrote:just wondering how forza owners are getting "78" mpg..(us gallon) I ran mine dry with a liter under my seat and got 56 mpg...
I'm 200 pounds of old guy and these are my stats so far from a mix of freeway and street riding, averaging 65.5 MPG:

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

My 78 figure was proper gallons.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

Or proper pints, should one like to drink beer...

JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

dougfreeze wrote:
MORON wrote:just wondering how forza owners are getting "78" mpg..(us gallon) I ran mine dry with a liter under my seat and got 56 mpg...

You guys must be riding wide open throttle all the time !!!! My Honda CB500X twin gets more MPG than you guys are getting with the FORZA.

MAYBE ??? You guys are running tire pressures to low ? That will really kill your mileage. I run tire pressure at maximum rated on the tire. I get better mileage, faster speeds, less chance of pinch flat, or rim damage if I hit a pothole, lots of benefits.

I do loose just a couple % in traction, very minimal, but has some safety beneifits that one should consider also, less chance of wobble, more stable at high speeds, etc. I also more than make up for it in safety on my SH150i and Honda GROM, being able to keep up with traffic better. Anyone riding to within a couple % of their traction is an accident waiting to happen anyways, that is only acceptable if you are racing on a track :D

Mike
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by MBMyer »

Nice tip on that bottle of wine, gn2.

I've lost track of the number of ways I've conveyed beverages of various sorts on the Forza. Much depends on how secure I need it to be and how many more stops I have to make before I'm home. I've strapped cases of beer or wine onto the pillion when the next stop was going to be at home, but single malt always gets locked into the top box.

As to gas mileage (USA gallons, here), I get around 70mpg during the summer and around 55 mpg in the winter. This has more to do with the nature of how I use the poor beast than anything else. It's mainly urban commuting in stop-n-go traffic with trips generally in the 2-5 mile range, so the engine doesn't really get much of a chance to warm up properly. The couple of times that I've taken US highways (typically 55 mph in open stretches, 25-40 mph passing through towns) to the large cities north and south of us, I have gotten much better mileage. The few times I've made trips like that in US Interstates (70mph), I've gotten winter-type mileages.

I've been riding the thing 18 months now, but had only put 4661 miles on it as of the last fill-up (7 Dec). In that tie, I've bruned up 76.087 US gal. of fuel for a lifetime average of 61.26 mpg. The current tank is registering 55 mpg, with several sub-freezing commuted on it.

The gauges are probably not as accurate as we would like. My spreadsheet tells me that the mpg meter is optimistic, so I typically do a seat-of-the-pants calculation by subtracting 3 from whatever that meter is telling me and multiplying that by 3 to see what my theoretical range is on any particular tank. A look at the trip meter tells me how critical a fuel stop might be. For instance, the trip meter right now says something in the 120 mile range, while the fuel economy gauge tells me that this tank is averaging 55 mpg. I figure I have just over 30 miles before I roll to a stop, but I'll probably fill the thing up tomorrow morning before running errands and putting about ten more miles on the clock just so that there's less empty room in the tank for condensation to form in this chilly, wet weather we're having.

Enough rambling for now. I hope someone out there finds the info useful.

Pax et bonum,
Michael
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring