Forza ABS Review: A non scooter riders impressions.

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

GenuineHondaWes

Forza ABS Review: A non scooter riders impressions.

Post by GenuineHondaWes »

Hey all, as blackcat54 suggested, here's my review of the 2013 Honda Forza. 8)

One word- comfort.

I'm not a scooter rider normally, had motorbikes for so long now developed that usual snobbery against scooters. I ride a Multistrada currently, but thanks to my job with North West Honda, I get to try the demo bikes regularly. It's been some 14 years since I've owned and ridden a scooter for more than a mile.

My opinion has been changed for the better ;)

The Forza has got to have one of the comfiest ergonomics my rear has had the pleasure of sitting on. My first impressions of it was "Man that's big and low", however once I was sat in the riders seat and had placed my hands on the controls, a lot of the girth disappeared. As I said, Honda have nailed the ergo's on this one. Turning the ignition, the analogue clocks perform a smooth sweep and light up. The dash is very clear and well positioned, the choice to remain with analogue I feel is a wise one for rider visibility. The scooter is very light for one of it's size, the low centre of gravity helps to peddle it around at a stand still, and feet find the side stand easily.

Pulling the brake lever in and thumbing the starter, the Forza purrs into life. It's a relatively quiet scoot, with the noise of the engine hidden well by the bodywork. Pulling away the engine is very smooth, and gains speed in a very linear fashion. I've seen 70mph on it, but their doesn't feel like there is too much left, no doubt it will go a shade faster, but I've yet to need it. The roll on power for overtakes is plentiful- ride along at 40mph, coast is clear, roll on throttle and she glides onwards-50,60 mph- no drama. I wonder if the engine will loosen up when the miles pile on, or if there is a way to raise the rev celling during the 20-60 mph range, but it does feel a touch neutured.

Handling is fairly sprightly- the Forza tips into corners nicely, feeling stable and controlled. It's certainly a stable vehicle, and thanks to that large, sculpted fairing the wind barely touches the rider. The suspension however isn't as refined. Both myself and colleagues felt the Forza was rough over bumps and uneven road surfaces, crashing rather than gliding. If you were planning to head away from the city or major road networks I would look to change the suspension for a higher quality item.

Braking on the other hand is incredible! With the ABS variant I've been getting familiar with you could hammer them on from 60 and the Forza will come to a controlled yet abrupt stop. I've been trying my best to upset it and provoke a skid, but these brakes won't be fazed. Very impressed and in stop start heavy traffic a lifesaver.

There is ample storage under the seat. Popping it open via the seat button reveals a smooth latch to support it. Inside you'd be forgiven for thinking you were looking into a car boot- carpet was not what I expected.

The paintwork is typical high quality Honda, deep and consistent. The pearl white has a lovely shimmer, though I feel the Black suits the shape best.

Ok, long review, if you've made it this far, congrats! I've got to say I'm impressed with the Forza. A quick test ride may not have convinced me, but each time I head out on it, riding through heavy city traffic feeling unruffled and chilled, darting through cars and arriving in comfort- yeah I could own one of these as my daily ride.
01524 60011
weshall@northwest-honda.co.uk
www.northwest-honda.co.uk
MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Forza ABS Review: A non scooter riders impressions.

Post by MichRocks »

GenuineHondaWes-
Well stated. I have always had an eye on scooters as I zipped past on my bikes, finally took the plunge and bought the Forza. I don't have the ABS version (it wasn't available). Like all my bikes, I know I will be doing upgrades on it. I noticed different rear suspension was available in Japan, haven't seen it here yet. Roads are decent here, and I have only had one minor jolt after 800 miles of riding, but will keep it in mind. It may be warranted if longer journeys are in my future. Still, the Forza is definitely a great scoot, and I am very happy to have bought it. Will be riding the wheels off of it, and knowing Honda, that will be a long time.
GenuineHondaWes

That's great to hear MichRocks, they do have the legendary Honda Build quality that's for sure. Interestingly, have you tried storing your helmet in it yet after a ride? Warms it to a nice temp ;)
01524 60011
blackcat54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by blackcat54 »

Not much left above 70mph?

That would concern me as 70mph is a relaxed highway cruising speed in many parts of the US.

I recall others have reported speeds up to 80MPH. I would hope to have some get up & go, lets say from 65-80mph.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

blackcat54 wrote:Not much left above 70mph?

That would concern me as 70mph is a relaxed highway cruising speed in many parts of the US.

I recall others have reported speeds up to 80MPH. I would hope to have some get up & go, lets say from 65-80mph.
I agree, our interstate system has a 75mph limit. This means people travel at 75 to 85 mph consistantly. Our higways range from 55 (no shoulder) to 65 (with shoulder)

If I decide I want to travel on the interstate and go places more, I will bypass the Forza and buy a CTX700. I would rather have the much larger engine, more weight, and full fairing with a good shield for riding at those kinds of speed for extended periods of time.

I havent had a chance to ride the Tmax or Silver wing, but with thier weight and smaller tires I would have reservations.

I do ride on some of our highways and my PCX keeps up with the traffic fine, last night traveling durring rush hour on a 55 mph hwy doing about 59 for 7 miles. My only issue is there isnt much left on the throttle if I needed to get after it for some reason.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

In standard trim the Forza top speed is 87mph or thereabouts.
I can report that it will sit at 75mph uphill into a headwind which is good enough for me and in a totally different league of speed and comfort from the PCX :)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:In standard trim the Forza top speed is 87mph or thereabouts.
I can report that it will sit at 75mph uphill into a headwind which is good enough for me and in a totally different league of speed and comfort from the PCX :)
Interesting. I drove 90 miles home in my my £2k jaguar in the peeing down rain at 80+ mph. Think I'll stick to the pcx for the balance of fun and economy

Other choices are available
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Whatever floats your boat.
Today I drove to work in my 60mpg car.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GenuineHondaWes

I think depending on size and weight of the rider, and also how much mileage the engines done (loosening up)

To a PCX rider the Forza may indeed feel to have some punch between 60-70, but as I've mentioned, i'm usually riding a Multistrada ;)

As for the CTX700, if power is of concern, then that would certainly be a way to go! Compared to the PCX the Forza's real advantages are a touch more performance, greatly improved comfort and physical presence.
01524 60011
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

GenuineHondaWes wrote:as I've mentioned, i'm usually riding a Multistrada
Which would feel a bit sluggish after riding a turbocharged Hayabusa. :roll:

Fact remains that the Forza has enough performance for legal road use and has all the usual advantages of being a scooter.
MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MichRocks »

Care must be taken as to what is expected of your ride. I owned a Yamaha Maxim 550, and it would lift the front wheel at 55mph if the throttle were cranked. But even with that, I felt it didn't have enough weight to be taken on long journeys. The Magna 750 was so heavy as to be an absolutely fantastic freeway cruiser, but was lousy in slow traffic. The Forza is unquestionably great at what it does, but don't expect it to be everything for every task.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MichRocks wrote:Care must be taken as to what is expected of your ride. I owned a Yamaha Maxim 550, and it would lift the front wheel at 55mph if the throttle were cranked. But even with that, I felt it didn't have enough weight to be taken on long journeys. The Magna 750 was so heavy as to be an absolutely fantastic freeway cruiser, but was lousy in slow traffic. The Forza is unquestionably great at what it does, but don't expect it to be everything for every task.

Are you sure you could pop the front wheel up on a half litre bike at an exact 55mph just by opening the throttle. I've owned one or two bikes but this sounds incredible. How do you get ahold of one of these monsters?
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

you you wrote:
MichRocks wrote:Care must be taken as to what is expected of your ride. I owned a Yamaha Maxim 550, and it would lift the front wheel at 55mph if the throttle were cranked. But even with that, I felt it didn't have enough weight to be taken on long journeys. The Magna 750 was so heavy as to be an absolutely fantastic freeway cruiser, but was lousy in slow traffic. The Forza is unquestionably great at what it does, but don't expect it to be everything for every task.

Are you sure you could pop the front wheel up on a half litre bike at an exact 55mph just by opening the throttle. I've owned one or two bikes but this sounds incredible. How do you get ahold of one of these monsters?
Get an old two stroke :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:
you you wrote:

Get an old two stroke :)

A H1? :D Love to
MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MichRocks »

you you-
Thanks for keeping me honest. The Maxim was a powerful and light bike and almost got away from me on a couple of occasions- but was still prone to being thrown around by wind. Actually Cheap_Ride is right; the 500cc 2-stroke Kawasaki Mach III was introduced in LA in the late 60s, early 70s, and I do recall that some dealers quit giving demo rides because the bikes left the riders unexpectedly.
I guess my point was supposed to be that the Forza is a great ride, does a lot very well, but should not be compared to specialty bikes in their classes. It is just a very good scoot.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

How is the suspension as apposed to the PCX? I know you said that it is soft, but it is a scooter, and we take our PCX all over the place, mostly off of main roads but still on side roads and farm roads. We are considering trading up to the Forza and need to know that it is at least as good as our PCX on the country roads.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Its significantly better than the PCX.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We just went to see the new Forza. We were disappointed. The seat is so wide that my wife could barely touch the ground. I was not comfortable on it. After riding my Burgman 400 we were hoping for something similar. Not so. It reminds me of a fat duck. As my wife said, "it reminds me of the fat girl that didn't make it to the prom." While we were there we looked at motorcycles and my wife liked the Yamaha V star 250. No windshield or bucket, or real style like scooters have though. Plus my wife would have to find some motorcycle boots with 2 inch soles BEFORE buying the bike, and then she would have to hope she can shift with them. Too much trouble. Plus they only wanted to give her $1900 for her decked out 2013 PCX 150. It was an insult. We will keep our little PCX and maybe we will find a way to add just a little more horsepower to it someday. Oh well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The burgman isn't exactly svelte, its a real ugly barge of a thing compared to the Forza.
Seems a real shame that your wife struggles to find something her size with a decent engine.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:The burgman isn't exactly svelte, its a real ugly barge of a thing compared to the Forza.
Seems a real shame that your wife struggles to find something her size with a decent engine.

She doesn't. She has the PCX :)