Rain riding

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Rain riding

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:
Jge64 wrote:Do some research. If you put an engine to bed for the winter, leave it sleep. Starting it occasionally just adds condensation to the oil. It takes a good 20 minute run to get rid of it all, if you’re not gonna do that, leave it alone.

No it doesn't.
If the engine is airtight no water can get in.
Is a Forza 300 engine completely airtight...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

davenowherejones, take care of yourself, pneumonia, bronchitis and flu have been in the news here a lot...some not so good.
Kick ass that pneumonia young man, then ride.
2018 - "We've only just Begun...."
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

WhiteNoise wrote:davenowherejones, take care of yourself, pneumonia, bronchitis and flu have been in the news here a lot...some not so good.
Kick ass that pneumonia young man, then ride.
2018 - "We've only just Begun...."
At 58 it is harder to kick. I have had pneumonia a few times in my life, never good.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have had pneumonia twice in 2017, and am fighting a sinus infection that is trying to dump fluid into my lungs again. You have to be careful. This "stuff", whatever it may be, seems to be getting more resistant to all of the medications. It makes you wonder if we are going to end up with some super virus that we can't stop. Dress warm and be safe.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Dave, say "I" were older than you, what would you have said then? We've all had our turn.
Me? Hospitalized just yesterday. You know, I know, we know....$hit happens. What we must remember is to take care of #1 first else we're useless to others and to our own enjoyment.
My wishes stand the same for You, get well first (A full recovery!) then Roll On and be Happy :)

Mel, I hear ya those damn sinus infections get me twice a year. Don't know how it happens. Just does. Z-pak meds are prescribed and taken. Works like a gem. But too much ain't good, Doc says!
Gosh it's just awful! No, make that.....Gosh it's So Ickeeee! :x
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

WN, as far as I am concerned Z-pak is the way to go. It worked great in the past. My wife has what I have right now but they didn't prescribe it for her and she is still sick. This time around my doctor didn't prescribe it for me either. His concern is that. Our systems will become resistant to the Z-pak and then they will be fighting something they don't have a lot of tools to fight, so instead he prescribed some 'horse pills' that are not easy to swallow, but it is definitely a super antibiotic (Amoxicillin & Clavulanate Potassium ER 1000 mg/62.5mg).
Still, I haven't kicked it yet, and the Z-pak would have already done it, so it is like walking a tightrope these days when prescribing antibiotics. My suggestion is don't get sick if you can help it. Dress warm, drink plenty of fluids, and don't ride your scooter into a snowbank...That happens sometimes if you drink plenty of fluids. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Wot os a z-pack?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-2060 ... al/details

Zithromax.
Azithromycin is used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. It is a macrolide-type antibiotic. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I had doxycycline hyclate & hydrocodone/phenyltoloxamine for $67 Canadian. Who knows what they are? Don't care.

It quit raining for a few minutes so I got the Forza out. I headed up the Fraser Canyon to Yale. It was sunny for a few minutes so I continued to Spuzzum to look at the re-building of the Alexandra Bridge over the Fraser River. They have quit for the winter and left the bridge a mess.

A huge logging truck hit a bad bump at the east end of the bridge and really scared me. A loud metallic clanging from a 32 (?) wheel truck travelling too fast over a narrow bridge gets your attention. I decided that was far enough for today.

There was lots of snow beside the highway. It was raining so I wasn't too concerned about ice on the road. I saw a huge chunk of ice rolling down the mountain towards me on the road. I left.

The snow plows were driving up and down the canyon dropping their blades to remove rockfalls. Chunks of rock the size of a soccer ball won't kill your car but if it hits the motorcycle or the rider it is game over, no reset.

I went more than 20 minutes so the bad acids were burnt away. Yesterday was heavy rain so I think a lot of the salt was washed down into the river. There was lots of sand and gravel on the highway. I was dirt bike sliding the Forza a few times. Yahoo!!!

Tomorrow is the Vancouver MotorCycle Show, also Saturday & Sunday. I might go all three days. The 4x4 will bankrupt me. Too dark & wet for the Forza. I won scooter tires one year for my Yamaha BWS. Only cost me several hundred dollars to have them installed.

Friday is ladies night and they are giving away a Kawasaki Versys X 300ABS. The odds are really good. I asked my optometrist if I could borrow a dress. She said my full beard might disqualify me. The guys can enter for a Kawasaki Z125 PRO on Saturday (?). You have to be there to win.

Time for bad cooking and a sleep. Dakar is still on in Argentina.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Eat/swallow garlic cloves, vicks rub on the chest, vicks vapor rub steamer (inhale vigorously), then some honey followed by a healthy shot of bourbon..Ibuprophen optional(will help if sore muscles,bones) Go to bed good night . feel better in morning
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Garlic gives me a headache.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-2060 ... al/details

Zithromax.
Azithromycin is used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. It is a macrolide-type antibiotic. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria.
Got it. It's a low level antibacterial agent. Just confused by the z-Pac name.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

davenowherejones wrote:Garlic gives me a headache.
Get a pair of long thick wooly socks and wear them inside wellington boots for a week.
Rub lard around your neck then tie the socks round your neck over the lard.
That'll keep the pipes clear.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gn2 wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:Garlic gives me a headache.
Get a pair of long thick wooly socks and wear them inside wellington boots for a week.
Rub lard around your neck then tie the socks round your neck over the lard.
That'll keep the pipes clear.
Yep, you must be from Scotland!!!

My not so dearly departed mother used to tell me similar bs and she was born within eye sight of Scotland in Cumberland.

I did not win the lady's VX300 at the show. I might try for the men's Z125 Pro later today. It costs me about $60 to go to the show. Lots of fun. Scary dark truck ride home in the rain on the sketchy highway.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I went to the Motorcycle show but I met an old friend and missed the draw. My friend wants me to go to Tuktoyaktuk in the Northwest Territories this summer. Him and his wife will take their Chrysler Minivan camper. I would buy a Honda CRF250 Rally dual sport.

Tuk is 8000 km return trip. Same distance as Vancouver to Toronto and back but on really bad roads. He wants to do it in two weeks. Too far for two weeks.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Sounds like the Alaska Highway. Rough road all the way. I knew a couple of guys who took their motorcycles up to Alaska and back. These same riders then took their bikes down to the tip of South America and back...and then they sold the bikes. Nice to have the time and energy to beat your back up. :-/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Mel46 wrote:Sounds like the Alaska Highway. Rough road all the way. I knew a couple of guys who took their motorcycles up to Alaska and back. These same riders then took their bikes down to the tip of South America and back...and then they sold the bikes. Nice to have the time and energy to beat your back up. :-/
With the right tool any job is easy Mel46. For the Alaska Highway one would need a motorcycle with long suspension travel and the ability to stand on the foot pegs at a moments notice. Dealing with rough roads on the PCX is a bit more troublesome, not to mention the lower suspension and feet forward riding position. I'm sure you could do those rides to if you had a motorcycle with 10 inch in suspension travel. A friend of mine has one and for many road imperfections you don't have to even stand up. Those rides can be done on the PCX, one just has to be more careful.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Gil wrote:
Mel46 wrote:Sounds like the Alaska Highway. Rough road all the way. I knew a couple of guys who took their motorcycles up to Alaska and back. These same riders then took their bikes down to the tip of South America and back...and then they sold the bikes. Nice to have the time and energy to beat your back up. :-/
With the right tool any job is easy Mel46. For the Alaska Highway one would need a motorcycle with long suspension travel and the ability to stand on the foot pegs at a moments notice. Dealing with rough roads on the PCX is a bit more troublesome, not to mention the lower suspension and feet forward riding position. I'm sure you could do those rides to if you had a motorcycle with 10 inch in suspension travel. A friend of mine has one and for many road imperfections you don't have to even stand up. Those rides can be done on the PCX, one just has to be more careful.

Gil
When does riding for pleasure become a pain in the ass?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

10 km from home in the rain it starts to hurt.

Or at 58.523 years.

Or when you have to go to the bathroom.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

It Sure Is Raining, Goodbye fugly looking Snow. It's Winter. Not Riding. Not shoveling :D