Winter storage

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Winter storage

Post by homie »

This whole thread is a HOOT! very funny boys :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whitenoise, I don't know why I let half the air out of tires when stored over winter and grand pappy is dead. I only recently stopped caring if hot water is used when turning on the garbage disposal. Maybe its time to let go of our parents and grand parents phobias and rest assure new materials, science and technology has got our backs.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

homie wrote:Maybe its time to let go of our parents and grand parents phobias and rest assure new materials, science and technology has got our backs.
Reminds me of the story of the leg of lamb; Hubby observed that his wife always used to cut a certain piece off before putting it in the roasting dish - when he asked her why she said "I don't really know to be honest - I do it because my mother always used to do it".

The following week the mother came over for dinner and they asked her the same question. And she replied that she did it because HER mother always used to do it. So they were still none the wiser.

At Christmas time hubby, his wife, her mum, and grandma were all over for Christmas dinner - and so he asked grandma the question - and the reply was something nobody ever thought of:

"I had to - it was too big to fit in the roasting dish"!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

OK don't let any air out of your tires for storage. The general consensus is this causes cracks. But do get them off the concrete the best you can and who knew you shouldn't put any dressing on stored tires. Apparently UV and Ozone generated by electricity like motors decay tires and are the big threat to stored rubber.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I'll check with you in winter.... Put a bug in yer ear > Ck/top off tires! :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Its a machine not a fluffy kitten. It doesnt feel cold like you do.

To much Disney
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:Its a machine not a fluffy kitten. It doesnt feel cold like you do.
To much Disney
What time is it at the center of the verse youyou :lol: I just want to make sure I don't miss anything. 1PM Chicago time. How about you... happy hour?
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015

Post by djbass »

All, yesterday ended the season with a run 3333км, now waiting for spring :)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (118.9 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
you you wrote:Its a machine not a fluffy kitten. It doesnt feel cold like you do.
To much Disney
What time is it at the center of the verse youyou :lol: I just want to make sure I don't miss anything. 1PM Chicago time. How about you... happy hour?

It's always happy hour with me.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

It's not a fluffy kitten?
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

GeorgeSK wrote:It's not a fluffy kitten?

No.

It’s a scooter :D
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

You talkin about my baby??? :D :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Not a fluffy kitten? hell yeah it is! She purrs :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I’m being serious here. Look again. It’s a scooter.
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

I'd change one step in the Official Winter Storage Guidelines: Do an oil change before putting it away so the contaminants in the oil don't eat at the metal all winter long. Some condensation will be present in Spring from sitting all Winter, but those will vaporize and vent off as the engine comes to normal temperature.

I should probably pull the plug and fog the cylinder (with fogging spray found at the automotive store), crank it 1/2 second, and replace the plug...

I happen to use S100 protectant for long-term storage instead of oil, which is a spray on substance similar to wiping down with carnauba wax (and not wiping the wax off), but since it's an aerosol it coates irregular surfaces easily. In Spring S100 cleaner takes the protectant off. I'm trying other cleaners that some friends recommended, but at the moment that's working fine.

I found the BatteryMinder brand of maintainers do a far better job than anything else as it compensates for temperature and desuldesulficate. BatteryTender uses an outdated power supply and old, simple technology. BatteryMinder uses a more efficient switch mode power supply, computerized charging circuits to actually maintain the battery/batteries, and compensates for Winter temperatures via reading the temperature and varying the charge appropriately. It also brakes down sulfur deposits by pulsing the DC charge at the resonant frequency of the crystals. The only other charger that used to do a similar job was Battery Genius by NOCO, but they removed that circuitry to save manufacturing cost. I use a large BatteryMinder to maintain all my batteries, it does up to 6 standard size batteries in parallel before the pulsed DC suffers from capacitive effect and turns more to straight DC. (The company that makes the BatteryMinder also makes chargers for planes and helicopters, so this isn't cheap consumer-oriented stuff, it actually has to perform to regulated standards.)

I also will pull the clutch bearings and lube them, as this is a known method of greatly prolonging their life according to members here. Same with the variometer, since if I need tools this is a great time to buy them without affecting ride time.

I bought a Honda cover off eBay, it wasn't horribly expensive and their quality and fit is excellent. I'll probably get a cheap cover at Walmart to put over that, which keeps the dust/environment from braking down the good cover (because good covers are expensive).

The flat spots on the tires are an issue, as is out-gassing. I'll use the center stand to get the rear tire off the ground and lower the pressure (in both tires) by 10 or 15 PSI, then build a simple stand from 2x3 (cheap) lumber and screws to get the front up, either under the frame or more likely under the front forks.

True, it's an inexpensive scooter, but it's also true many of us bought it because it's quite possibly the best small scooter out there, and maintaining it keeps it that way. If I wanted a piece of sh!t I'd have bought a no-brand from China. (Not to insult the Chinese members, China makes high-quality products also, such as the iPhone.)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

No ice ,snow or salt debris ---- ride my scooters every winter in Ohio.
Just gentle on the throttle until my aircooled engines get warm, and top up the tires.
Fish
byte.size.life
Year: 2022
Color: red

Post by byte.size.life »

Mister Paul wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:48 am
TheMaverick wrote:
Mister Paul wrote:I'd roll it around a bit occasionally. It's not good for tyres to be sitting with one section in contact with the ground for long periods of time.
I think it's almost a given that it should be put on the center stand.
Yeah, but that still leaves the front.
Just use a tire saver.

scooterbro11
Year: 2020
Color: red

Post by scooterbro11 »

put front tire on carpet square samples, no flat spots
canthai
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by canthai »

Don't overthink it - especially for a few months.
Returning from Australia my HD sat in a steel shipping crate for almost 7 years.
Added Sta Bil to a full tank of 95 Gasahol and removed the battery.
Pumped up the tires to 50 PSI
When ready to ride it again I drained the fuel, filled with fresh, installed new battery, away I went.
No crud in the tank, or fuel lines, no flat spots, Nuttin'
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I had a stroke and my Forza was in storage for almost a year. I recently tried to start it. Nothing happened. I thought the battery was dead and hooked it up to my solar charger. I took things apart and put a voltmeter on places. I was about to give up. The Forza was on the centre stand. I was putting things away and I saw the side stand was out. I put it up and it fired up right away.

The gas was about a year old, not sure if I put any preservative seafoam in it or not. It is still the original 2014 battery. I know I have a little brain damage but that was stupid of me. I think I did at least check the handlebar kill switch.

I had destroyed the front wheel bearing with 178,000 km of abuse. I thought I was having ABS problems. I took the front wheel off and saw I was loosing my balls. Bearings were $20 at the local auto parts store. The dust covers seals were Honda only parts, took a while, about $30

A neighbour who is a retired professional mechanic helped me a lot.

The Shinko tire was bead leaking. While the wheel was off I wire brushed the wheel a lot. The bead would not seat with my toy air compressor. my friend had a bigger one. We put too much air in and the Shinko seams to be holding air.

We got it all back together and I went around the airport a few times and then over to Chevron for some 94 no alcohol Gas to fill the tank.

I would ride it some more but it is about 3C and a bit of snow is falling. Next week might get to 15C, I ride if there is still air in my tires.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

:Good hearing Dave............Hope you and the Forza keep on keeping on. :D