Dynabeads and the PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Dynabeads and the PCX

Post by EddieC »

Its getting to be time to replace my tires (at least the rear!) And I'm thinking of using dynabeads and mounting them myself. First, is a scooter tire easy to get off and on the rim? I've never changed a tire on anything smaller than a 16 inch rim. Easier? Harder? I'm thinking its about the same. I might also stop by a shop to see how much they would charge me for mounting without balancing.

Anyway, I bought 2 new rear tires and one front (to get free shipping) from motorcyclesuperstore.com and now I need to buy the dynabeads, I saw a motorcycle starter kit that included 3ounces of beads for $15. Has anyone used these on your pcx? How many ounces did you use? Do you need more in the rear tire than the front? If you can't tell, I've always had a buddy of mine balance them, but he has moved, and I am new to this product.

Thanks!

Eddie
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Dynabeads and the PCX

Post by maddiedog »

I was under the impression that it was easier, although I haven't been able to get the damn tires off my Buddy 125 to replace them...

Kapang! used dynabeads, and swore by them, so I used them on my bike. I couldn't tell a difference with or without them, but I used the kit 50/50 on front-rear. Then again, my tires were apparently balanced out of the factory, so that makes sense. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Hmmm... maybe I should try to find a shop near by. Just in case I can't get them off myself =) should be cheaper without balancing, I would think, but that sounds like a question for the shops.

How many ounces were in the kit that you used? 3 oz?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I think I used 1 1oz bag per tire...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Okay great! That sounds about right but when I was reading the dynabead description it kept talking about which kits are for which size tires, but it didn't mention how many tires the kit is for. Thanks dave, ill post here once I get them!
Kapang!

Post by Kapang! »

I did the tires on my old Elite. It was a real pain in the arse. If it was me, I'd get'm replaced at a shop and do the dynabeads at home. I did find them to make a significant difference in the feel of the bike when doing curves over 30 MPH. Just my opinion, though. :ugeek:
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

I just put in 1oz of Dynabeads (kit 9) each, in my tyres. What a pain. It takes ages to do it with the applicator thing that's supplied with the beads, and they frequently jam up in the valve tube. If I were to get these again I would definitely get them put in when the tyre is put on. This seems to be the recommended method of installation mentioned in the instructions that comes in the kit.

I'm looking forward to riding with them though.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Have you noticed a difference since you installed, edscoot?
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Haven't had a chance to try them yet. My scooter is in bits while I rust proof it. They rattle around in the tyres though.
nasnikos-Greece

Post by nasnikos-Greece »

Working like that ?

edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

nasnikos-Greece wrote:Working like that ?
The instruction sheet you get with the kit tells you to screw the tube onto the valve (after removing the core and deflating the tyre), then empty one of the two bags of beads into the bottle and click it into the free end of the tube. You are then supposed to tip the bottle up to a point where you get a steady flow of beads that will simply roll through the tube and valve into the tyre. If you try the method shown in the video (and I did, thinking it would speed things up) the beads jam up and it is very difficult to get them unstuck. You must be careful not to spill any or they will bounce all over the place.

Eventually I just had to take it slow and careful - I had the valve at the bottom of the wheel (six o'clock position) and then lifted the bottom end of the bottle until it began to let beads run into its neck - then I began tapping the valve with a screwdriver to encourage the beads down. It took ages, and even doing it this way I got several blocks.

I began with my rear wheel, which was off the scooter at the time. By the time I had finished it I knew how carefully to do the front. It takes a long time :(

In the video he has those bent/angled valves. I can only think this is why he is able to insert them so easily. If I had done that on my pcx I'd still be sitting on the garage floor now :)

The instruction sheet says the recommended way of inserting the beads is when the tyre is being put on the wheel.
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

I went with the Ride-On Tire Balancer & Sealer. I seemed to notice a smoother ride but can't really say for sure since I hadn't put many miles on the bike or tires previously. The tire sealant feature was what I was mainly interested in. Pretty simple to install

http://www.motorcyclepartsandaccessorie ... 2011/06/01
newpl

Post by newpl »

I chose the Ride-on sealant over the dynabeads because I liked to self-sealing features.

So far I like it. I think it rides better and don't feel as much vibration and I'm pretty sure it's not my imagination however, I can't be sure since I know something was put in. Plus I'm still on the original tires so they were balanced by the factory.
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

maddiedog wrote:Have you noticed a difference since you installed, edscoot?
I've done a 150 miles or so now with them and I can't say I felt any dramatic difference. You maybe need to have a very smooth road surface to get the benefit.

Next time I replace the tyres I'll put some anti puncture stuff in - it seems a better way to spend your money.