PCX parts duration before change

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

PCX parts duration before change

Post by doletotodole »

I am wondering,
1# can spark plug last 30K miles?
2# can the belt last 30K miles?
3# the battery 30K miles?

4# the brake oil which I can see, no worry
5# the engine cool liquid? how to know when to change? I certainly won't wait till the engine warning lights up.

6# the gear and engine oils I change regularly, no worry.

thanks for advises.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: PCX parts duration before change

Post by Jge64 »

1. Yup, assuming good gas, I guess
2. Yup, unless you are in extreme climates/operation
3. yup, unless it sits unused for months without tender, and/or allowed to dead flatten a few times.
4. Keep coolant topped off, no problem.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Depending upon how long you own the PCX and how often you ride it will be a big determining factor as to how long the battery will last relative to a 30K mile goal. I'd say if you get more than 2 or 3 years out of it that's pretty good. I'm judging from my experience with motorcycles. The battery on my 49cc Genuine Roughhouse (PGO PMX) is on it's 3rd year and showing signs of weakness.

Since the PCX offers no kick start pedal due to it's design you are totally dependent on a good battery. Or, if it's an aging battery it's a good idea to keep jumper cables in the stowage compartment.

Brake fluid will eventually discolor and deteriorate but it takes years. Just keep an eye on the fluid level. As the pads wear the level will drop to take up the slack.

If you start having ignition problems or a change in performance it's always a good idea to check the spark plug no matter how many miles are on it.

Otherwise follow the Maintenance Schedule and you should be OK. 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:Depending upon how long you own the PCX and how often you ride it will be a big determining factor as to how long the battery will last relative to a 30K mile goal. I'd say if you get more than 2 or 3 years out of it that's pretty good. I'm judging from my experience with motorcycles. The battery on my 49cc Genuine Roughhouse (PGO PMX) is on it's 3rd year and showing signs of weakness.

Since the PCX offers no kick start pedal due to it's design you are totally dependent on a good battery. Or, if it's an aging battery it's a good idea to keep jumper cables in the stowage compartment.

Brake fluid will eventually discolor and deteriorate but it takes years. Just keep an eye on the fluid level. As the pads wear the level will drop to take up the slack.

If you start having ignition problems or a change in performance it's always a good idea to check the spark plug no matter how many miles are on it.

Otherwise follow the Maintenance Schedule and you should be OK. 8)
My PCX has a kickstart :roll:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

My PCX has a kickstart :roll:
Well I'll be. . ..

After a little research I now see that the earlier models had a drive case that would accept a kick starter kit. Just the models up through 2013 I guess?

Good on you! Definitely nice to have.

I find on my MOPED I've got to remind myself to push the pedal back in once I start it. My saddle bags block the view. :lol:
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

As long as you did not use a steel feeler gauge or need to gap it........ doing either can remove / scratch the plating and thus reduce life.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

doletotodole wrote:I am wondering,
2# can the belt last 30K miles?
3# the battery 30K miles?

4# the brake oil which I can see, no worry
5# the engine cool liquid? how to know when to change? I certainly won't wait till the engine warning lights up.

6# the gear and engine oils I change regularly, no worry.

thanks for advises.
1: yes
2: probably not, standard replacement is around 15,000 miles by which time the top speed will have dropped a fair bit due to wear on the sides of the belt affecting the gearing.
3: depends on how often you use the thing rather than mileage, leaving it unused for long periods will kill the battery, but yes it can easily last 30K miles
4: Needs changed every two years regardless of mileage
5: same as 4
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

what good is a kick start when the battery is dead? because the FI system won't start.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

doletotodole wrote:what good is a kick start when the battery is dead? because the FI system won't start.

Wont it?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

So the Salesman say's to the Maine Farmer, "Please sir. . .can you tell me how to get to Augusta?". The Farmer say's to the Salesman. . ."Can't get they'a from he'ya". And the Salesman say's to the Farmer, "Well. . .that does me absolutely no good!". The Farmer promptly responded, "Wellllll. . . I ain't the one who's lost". :lol:
superandyp
Color: Red

Post by superandyp »

Hey you got to give your pcx some love once in a while. Treat it to a sparkly new plug and some nice new coolant and Brake fluid etc and it will love you back. There are too many neglected scoots in this world. I know you will do the right thing.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

You will go a long ways on Burger King and potato chips too... but in the end you'll be sorry. Maybe do the scheduled maintenance, if not for yourself then for the next owner.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I hope they don't elevate the amount of ethanol in the fuel any time soon. That would be NFG for a lot of the older machines that are still in circulation. It reeks havoc with aluminum parts and the older type fuel lines. 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:You will go a long ways on Burger King and potato chips too... but in the end you'll be sorry.

Excellent :lol: :lol: