AMA for us scooter people?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Blue

AMA for us scooter people?

Post by d1ckyh »

So I was reading a post and it referred to the AMA, motorcycle association. My question is twofold; do any PCX owners belong and are there events for scooters with them? 2- does anyone use their roadside assistance as it is cheaper than AAA? Their membership fees are less than the price of a tow.
PCX - Peace Comes with eXcellence

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: AMA for us scooter people?

Post by PCX150Rider »

I've been an AMA member for about 20 years. My state has little or no AMA sponsored events. The flat track racing and motoX that once existed here is no more. I think there are still some trials events however. Some states are very active with AMA sponsored events. I've attached a copy of a page from my most recent American Motorcyclist magazine that gives you a rough idea of what goes on and where. There are more pages but this is a sample. Florida has a poker run this month for example.
AMAFebEvents20180217_16550776A.jpg
AMAFebEvents20180217_16550776A.jpg (283.53 KiB) Viewed 271 times
A lot of motorcycle riders have scooters too. And there are scooter rallies and stuff around the country that people do attend. But it's likely they aren't officially AMA sponsored.

All that being said the scooter riders share a lot of the same needs that the motorcyclists do and the AMA does go to bat for the cause when it comes down to political issues, fuel quality, use of public lands, and more. I've read articles here and there by members who wrote in about their scooters and experiences with them.

To make a long story short it's about $49 for a basic membership. I don't get the "roadside assistance" with my membership. I honestly didn't feel a need for it but as time moves along I could change my mind. I feel that my dues money goes to help fight for riders rights no matter what they ride and also supports programs that give kids a chance to participate in a sport that keeps them occupied and focused.
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Blue

Re: AMA for us scooter people?

Post by d1ckyh »

Thanks! It is my understanding from their website that if you opt for the auto renew on the annual membership, the roadside assistance is included. For me it’s just piece of mind that it is there should I need it. As for the events I didn’t want to be a laughing stock showing up when everyone else is on big bikes lol. Not sure if I’d participate in any but if the timing and location was right, who knows...
PCX - Peace Comes with eXcellence