PCX the USA from one end to the other anyone?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

PCX the USA from one end to the other anyone?

Post by flyingzonker »

The following is one of the comments on a Youtube video review of the new 2018 PCX. In the review the presenter praises the PCX but stresses heavily the fact that it is not a heavy weight and should not be expected to do the cross country thing. I tend to agree but here is what someone with experience has to say:

"This isn't going to take you across the country."
Why not? Just because it won't go 90 mph? I rode a 125cc scooter 8,000 miles around the country in just over 7 weeks. You do the math. Stop perpetuating the stereotype that scooters are only good for putt-putting around town. And, oh yeah, I rode a 49cc scooter (yes, 49cc) 36,000 miles around the world back in 2014/2015, covering 33 countries across 6 continents. No matter how many cc's a machine has, it doesn't give a xxxx if you're going to the grocery store or around the world, as long as the engine holds up. Open your minds, people - you'll be surprised what a small machine can achieve. We Americans are so hung up about how big our motorcycles have to be (and yes, I do ride one) that we fail to realize that small machines are ubiquitous in most of the world, especially in developing coutries such as in southeast Asia. For many, it is their only form of transportation and it's common to see small scooters/125cc motorcycles with 80,000 kms on the odometers. I should know, I befriended many riders there and checked out their machines.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: PCX the USA from one end to the other anyone?

Post by Jge64 »

That’s certainly not the way I feel. I think if you could ride back roads at 40 or 50 miles an hour for days on end it would be OK, but I’m not getting a PCX anywhere near an interstate at speeds above 55 miles an hour, unless it’s to hop 2 exits, etc..... it’s just too Squirrley in the wind for me. I’m sure everybody has their own opinions, but I’ll get on a bigger bike if I’m gonna do LD interstate work.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

flyingzonker wrote:The following is one of the comments on a Youtube video review of the new 2018 PCX. In the review the presenter praises the PCX but stresses heavily the fact that it is not a heavy weight and should not be expected to do the cross country thing. I tend to agree but here is what someone with experience has to say:

Why not? Just because it won't go 90 mph? I rode a 125cc scooter 8,000 miles around the country in just over 7 weeks. You do the math. Stop perpetuating the stereotype that scooters are only good for putt-putting around town. And, oh yeah, I rode a 49cc scooter (yes, 49cc) 36,000 miles around the world back in 2014/2015, covering 33 countries across 6 continents. No matter how many cc's a machine has, it doesn't give a xxxx if you're going to the grocery store or around the world, as long as the engine holds up. Open your minds, people - you'll be surprised what a small machine can achieve. We Americans are so hung up about how big our motorcycles have to be (and yes, I do ride one) that we fail to realize that small machines are ubiquitous in most of the world, especially in developing coutries such as in southeast Asia. For many, it is their only form of transportation and it's common to see small scooters/125cc motorcycles with 80,000 kms on the odometers. I should know, I befriended many riders there and checked out their machines.
Thanks for the post, can you provide a link to that, there's a lot of PCX reviews out here - Thanks !!
CharlieP
Year: 2017

Post by CharlieP »

I am still shopping for a pcx, but after completing three coast to coast trips on a bicycle I would consider doing it on a small scooter to be a luxury cruise. After all, it could be done in just a few weeks by taking a leisurely 100 to 150 mile trip each day. Sounds like fun to me.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I did CT to CO and back to CT in 2 weeks on a Yamaha TX 650 back in '76 with my college motorcycle club. Great time. About 6000 miles roughly done. It rained all the way back home. Good time. :lol:

The video below is one I found on YouTube of a PCX traveler in Europe. Great edited footage with music dubbed in. :D

If you ever get insomnia try watching this one. . .all the raw footage and really really really long. It makes you glad you own a PCX though! 8)

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

springer1 wrote:
flyingzonker wrote:The following is one of the comments on a Youtube video review of the new 2018 PCX. In the review the presenter praises the PCX but stresses heavily the fact that it is not a heavy weight and should not be expected to do the cross country thing. I tend to agree but here is what someone with experience has to say:

Thanks for the post, can you provide a link to that, there's a lot of PCX reviews out here - Thanks !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqOlD1Jt7_E&t=187s
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Actually, I don't agree with the comment. The PCX can certainly take you across the country--not on expressways of course but on secondary highways it can do it. That being said, even on secondary highways you would need to wind it all the way out to keep up with traffic. How would you like to ride all day on a machine that is, so to speak, maxed out? And even if this idea appeals to you, what would this kind of ride do to the bike?
Of course you could step it down somewhat--say to a steady 50mph--but you would have to either hug the shoulder or clog the road behind you with hundreds of angry cars and semis.
Then, there are some few who have a genius for this kind of travel and for them none of the above applies. They will find a way that is elegant, engine friendly and nonobstructive to traffic.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

A friend of mine rode a Honda Grom to Tennessee and back from California. If a Grom can do it, so can a PCX.

GIL
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Color: Red now white

Post by 212 »

When I was at college my best friend and I worked at a Pizza shop delivering pizzas on Honda C90’s. The boss let us borrow them for 2 weeks in summer so we rode from Swindon to Nice in France it was almost a thousand miles each way,
We did it in 3 days there and 2 days back the only bad thing was all our clothes smelt of pizza from carrying them in the pizza box on the back.
The PCX is far more comfortable and faster than a C90 I would be happy to ride the PCX anywhere just as long as I’m not in a hurry
Veni Vidi Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

I rode PCX across half China, not feeling a thing.
I expect an easier ride with Forza.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

There is at least one member of this forum who did the ride from coast to coast, and then back, in the 'Scooter Cannonball Run'. It is an endurance race, but riders have also had fun on them. In fact, in the 2012 race a PCX 125 came in 10th overall.

It takes planning, but nowhere in the rules does it say that a PCX should NOT compete.

We have taken our PCX 150s on a 5 state round-robin in a single day. Of course, we did have some modifications on the bikes, such as a more comfortable seat and a tall windshield, but otherwise the bikes were normal. We stopped ever so often to refuel and stretch our legs, but then we were back on the road again. We took back roads so that we would not block traffic, and so that we could enjoy the scenery.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

PCX is not a highway bike,but the actual ability to do a long cross country run is not so much about the machine as it is how much your ass and back can stand.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

X2
...and that says it all.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White

Post by djbass »

The trip to USA is certainly interesting, but PCX is the first (main) scooter for the city. For the route you need a scooter with an engine capacity of 250 cm3 and above. My maximum daily mileage on PCX about 900 km with three short stops to the gas station and 1 time to drink coffee - this trip is very tedious. On the highway PCX barely copes with its task, the scooter has to work at maximum mode all the way.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Yours is a 150, correct? So change the variator and rollers (13 gram rollers) and you will get another 10 mph out of it. That should give you a reserve, which it sounds like you need.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White

Post by djbass »

Yes, I have a PCX 150. Thanks for the tip, but not yet ready to change the variator, the city move much more often than on the highway.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Of course a PCX can go absolutely anywhere there's a suitable road surface, but whether it would be enjoyable is another matter.
Horses for courses.
It takes a special sort of mentality to enjoy long tours on an uncomfortable low powered machine.
But if that's what floats yer boat get out there and get it done.
There's some amazing landscapes across the USA, its perhaps the most varied set of environments in any single country, from long sandy beaches to tropical mangroves to dry arid desert to high snowy mountain ranges to rocky coastlines, the USA has it all.
The low speed of the PCX would give the ideal platform on which to take your time exploring and seeing it.
And that's the difference.
Taking the time to enjoy the landscape you're passing through rather than the pleasure being derived from how the bike performs.
If I had the money and the time I'd be signing up for the trip.
Maybe when I retire.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

doletotodole wrote:I rode PCX across half China, not feeling a thing.
I expect an easier ride with Forza.
I remember a while back you posted some pictures which were simply brilliant, more please! :D
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I remember a while back you posted some pictures which were simply brilliant, more please! :D
X2 8)