New Pcx150 buyer questions

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

CharlieP
Year: 2017
Color: White

New Pcx150 buyer questions

Post by CharlieP »

I am going to buy a pcx150 this week and have a couple of questions that I can’t find the answers to.

What are the specific differences between the 2017 and 2018 US versions of the pcx150. Anyone Know or can point to where this info is available? It is confusing because some features don’t appear to be available in the US.

Also, the Honda tall windscreen option is a $300 extra. Is it worth that or would I be better off with an aftermarket windscreen? I’m looking for the one that works best for a 5’10” (178cm) rider even if it is more expensive.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: New Pcx150 buyer questions

Post by Mel46 »

I am not the authority on differences but I believe that the only difference, in the United States, between the 2017 and 2018 models is the color choice.
There are some items that are definitely not available in the United States, and may never be, such as keyless start and idle stop, but these are minor.
As far as the Honda tall windshield, I did not think it was worth the price, so I purchased a Givi tall one. There is also a National Cycle windshield, which may be what Honda is offering under their own name (Honda does not make their own tall windshields). In either case, check the dimensions because they (Givi and National) also sell a mid height one. A few riders on this forum have the mid high ones but most like the tallest ones for more wind protection.

MAKE SURE THE WINDSHIELD YOU ORDER WILL FIT YOUR YEAR. Sorry for yelling that but some members have ordered the wrong year, and pre 2015 windshields do not fit the newer models.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

CharlieP wrote:I am going to buy a pcx150 this week and have a couple of questions that I can’t find the answers to.

What are the specific differences between the 2017 and 2018 US versions of the pcx150. Anyone Know or can point to where this info is available? It is confusing because some features don’t appear to be available in the US.

Also, the Honda tall windscreen option is a $300 extra. Is it worth that or would I be better off with an aftermarket windscreen? I’m looking for the one that works best for a 5’10” (178cm) rider even if it is more expensive.
A: nothing important
B: aftermarket

Other opinions are available....
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Charlie! Welcome :) Getting a New bike is Always Exciting and the PCX is a Great Choice! So Congrats on that!!

As far as your ???
It would help us if you entered your location to your profile.
Why? As you've been finding, our PCX's Do Differ. One Example: the U.S. Model Does Not have the Idle Stop Feature, while across the pond They Do. So..........

Why don't we do this first. Lets get your location listed. Afterwards members will be able to glance to the left, get the info "they need" to answer your questions as quickly and as accurately as possible.

Alrighty, Let's Do It! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Between US models 2017-18 PCX? I'm thinking nothing more than possible ignition features. The US models will have a brake lock or parking brake over the Euro model with the idle stop option. I don't think we need or want either of these silly implements IMO. Sometimes I think these are prone to fail sooner or later. If you forget to release the P-brake you will burn off your brake pads (there is no idiot light)

Has anyone been to a showroom stateside yet to look over the latest and greatest PCX?
Attachments
honda pcx.jpg
honda pcx.jpg (286.88 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Has anyone been to a showroom stateside yet to look over the latest and greatest PCX?
When I bought my new "leftover" 2017 U.S. model last year the salesman told me the 2018 models here would be unchanged. Same white and blue colors as well. I have the IRC tires on mine. Depending upon what country you live in a PCX may come equipped with Michelin City Grips.

The toolkit only contains a helmet leash or whatever you choose to call it. It's basically a plastic insulated wire loop to run through your helmet D-ring and hook under the seat frame on the left side. When you close the seat it locks anyone out from just taking it off and running with it.

Nice reliable machine. I've left mine stock so far. The seat isn't the most comfortable but it's OK for me right now. 8)
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

no difference. get the cheaper year model.

And go fo an aftermarket windshield.

IMO
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
CharlieP

Post by CharlieP »

Thanks to all for the help. I ended up with a new 2017 white pcx. I will be ordering an aftermarket tall windscreen to go with it.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Congrats on your new PCX! :D

You won't regret it. ;)

Follow the "break in" recommendations. Don't ride at the same speed all the time. Don't over rev it either. Allow the motor to alternatively accelerate and decelerate appropriately so as to promote a better environment for the piston rings to seat properly in the cylinder. :geek:

You may find yourself getting addicted to the thing. . .like a day without a ride on the PCX is like a day without sunshine. o_O

Do the oil change and clean the screen at 600 miles. Check the tire pressures with a squeeze before every ride. You never know when you may pick up a roofing nail or piece of glass. That being said put a tire pressure gauge on them at least once a month. You may need to top them off a psi or two.

To maintain your warranty it's recommended you have a dealership do the maintenance work initially. Some owners choose to do their own maintenance. Personal choice. :|

The gear case oil will need to be changed also. I think it's supposed to be good for two years but I did my first oil change at about 1000 miles within 3 months after I bought it. Use Honda oils (with Moly) if you can get it. Check the manual. I put 10w-40 in my engine and 10w-30 in my gear case.

Get used to the horn and turn signal location.

Get a Service Manual and follow the procedures and maintenance schedules. The valve adjustment is a frequent topic of discussion here. Lots of opinions and real world input.

Let us know about the new windscreen and how well it works. . .especially when it's windy or cold. 8)

Again. . .congrats! Don't be surprised if you are getting over 100 MPG. :D
bikerider
Year: 2015
Color: grey

Post by bikerider »

In Italy, but I think in the entire Europe, pcx 150, since january first 2018, is no more available. o_O
Because of "euro" standards: to meet euro 4 standards, all bikes above 125cc must be equipped with ABS brake system and the PCX rear drum brake is not suitable for ABS. :roll:

What about in the USA?
I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

ABS not mandatory in the USA, instead the NRA recommend carrying a concealed loaded revolver to defend yourself from risk of collisions.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
CharlieP

Post by CharlieP »

bikerider wrote:In Italy, but I think in the entire Europe, pcx 150, since january first 2018, is no more available. o_O
Because of "euro" standards: to meet euro 4 standards, all bikes above 125cc must be equipped with ABS brake system and the PCX rear drum brake is not suitable for ABS. :roll:

What about in the USA?
I believe the new asian 2018 pcx models have rear disk brakes abs, among the many otiher features that are not available in the US. I feel sure the EU will soon follow, and the US a few years later.

In the US, abs is not yet mandatory.
bikerider

Post by bikerider »

gn2 wrote:......... theNRA recommend carrying a concealed loaded revolver to defend yourself from risk of collisions.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yes, I found that somewhat amusing too, but let's not carry on along those lines.
Forum rules prevail. No guns - Period

Okay, moving on...
Congrats Charlie on choosing the fastest and bestest color! Love White Bikes :D
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
CharlieP

Post by CharlieP »

Thanks White Noise, I have been having a lot of fun on my new “fast white” pcx. It is proving to be very practical for most of my trips so far. I have added a National extra tall windscreen and a givi tunnel bag already and will be adding a givi 39L top box this afternoon. That should make it even better.

BTW, I just read that the scooter in your avatar ( the one used in the Dumb and Dumber movie) just sold on ebay for $50,027.00. Hope my new pcx retains its value just as well.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

W H A T!!?? Holy Smokers! Are you serious or delirious? :lol: It's just a pile of Hilarious junk :lol:
By the way, I like all your add-ons. Good choices! Wanna swap bikes? :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (91.68 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
CharlieP

Post by CharlieP »

WhiteNoise wrote:W H A T!!?? Holy Smokers! Are you serious or delirious? :lol: It's just a pile of Hilarious junk :lol:
By the way, I like all your add-ons. Good choices! Wanna trade bikes? :D
https://rideapart.com/articles/dumb-and ... ke-auction
bikerider

Post by bikerider »

o_O o_O o_O
:roll: :roll: :roll: