Engine cut out !!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: PCX Black

Engine cut out !!

Post by Docscooter2010 »

Out on my scooter this morning when the traffic came to a stop . I was at the top of a small hill so I could see the cars where stopped to let a Hurst come out of a church . When the cars started moving , as I was at the top of the hill I could only let my scooter free wheel . Only went about 200 yards when I noticed my scoot had cut out . At first I thought I had the idle stop on , but no. Never had a scooter do that before , when I put some revs on it jumped to life , strange .
Really want to go to the same hill to see if it stalls again , hope its just a one off . Only done about 350 miles on it .
Anyone got a reason why it would cut out when free wheeling , no other problems with it . Thanks
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Engine cut out !!

Post by gn2 »

Shouldn't let the scooter freewheel with engine running, because when you rev the motor and the clutch engages the CVT will not be set at the correct ratio for the speed and it can cause problems, one forum member was nearly thrown off the scooter when trying it.
Its the equivalent of freewheeling down a hill in neutral then dumping the clutch out in first gear, there's going to be an adverse reaction....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: PCX Black

Re: Engine cut out !!

Post by Docscooter2010 »

Thanks for the reply . So when you go down a long hill should you brake but try to rev at the same time ?
Never known this to happen , had a few scooters, but this seems strange to just cut out , then you seem to jump start it when you put the revs on . Idles fine at a stand still