Noise from behind me

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Noise from behind me

Post by Slowinitdown »

Hi Folks
Have swapped my full face helmet for an open face and since doing so at certain revs and more so when de-accelerating I can hear what sounds like a bearing noise or some form of vibration. Any ideas what this might be?
Thanks
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Noise from behind me

Post by fish »

Might be the outer CVT bearing.....or - fate telling you to go back to the safer full face helmet.

Fish
Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slowinitdown »

Thanks Fish will be on for the 5k service soon will check it out. I don't hear it when the bikes on the centre stand but seems under load I do. And yes a bit early for open face it's a bit fresh still in the UK! I like the wider view with open face at scooter speeds I feel safe.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Since you went to an open face helmet the sound dynamic will change. It just may be normal and you are now hearing things better. I too like an open face. Can see more, hear more, and feel the wind and less weight. Seems like I see a lot more and hear better. tried them both and also like the open face much better..open and free.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I would suggest that both of you youngsters protect your hearing by wearing good ear plugs on every ride. This is especially important if you are wearing open face helmets.
The culminlative effects as you age and also ride without hearing protection --- cannot be undone at a later time, when you've finally noticed a change.
The best full face helmets offer both improved wide angle and low angle (seeing your dash) vision.

Fish
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

I always use ear plugs too. Full enclosure is just too restricting for me.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

In really hot weather I do prefer my open face helmet but just for around town. . .the speeds seldom get over 35 MPH.

But for all other riding I do wear a FF helmet. It not only protects me from the bugs better but I can hear myself think. . .think about that one! :lol:

The riding noises are like a symphony. When you hear a bad note or someone comes in late on a cue it stands out like a bad penny. That's kind of how I look at things when I ride. If there is something that seems out of tune or out of time or wasn't invited to play with the band so-to-speak I immediately check it out. Sometimes it can be something as simple as a plastic shopping bag that gets caught on a kickstand spring. . ..

So the moral to the story is "Life is good when the Band plays on!". ;) :lol: 8)

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

The riding noises are like a symphony. When you hear a bad note or someone comes in late on a cue it stands out like a bad penny.

Very true.. Once you are tuned in any abnormality will get your attention. When you change helmets etc , you have to retune.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Love those analogies! Life is a Song, there is so much to hear 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slowinitdown »

PCX150Rider wrote:
The riding noises are like a symphony. When you hear a bad note or someone comes in late on a cue it stands out like a bad penny. That's kind of how I look at things when I ride.
So the moral to the story is "Life is good when the Band plays on!". ;) :lol: 8)

Couldn't agree more. :D rollers and belt seems like a good move for the 5k and will look at the clutch assembly and bearings. By the way I swapped back to full face as it's bloody freezing in UK at the moment Canadian air blowing in I'm told. Cheers for that Canada!
adnewton
Year: 2016
Color: Forza, Silver

Post by adnewton »

Could be tyre noise which you never noticed with a full face helmet
Color: Red now white

Post by 212 »

I had the clutch bearings go on my PCX Numbers replaced numbers 18,19 and 11 although I think 11 was the culprit but thought I’d do them all. This was at about 15k miles

As to helmets always been a FF guy after seeing a mate full off his scooter with a open face one on and he put a hole through his chin that he could poke his tongue through
Attachments
4014985D-BD5A-47A5-A9D8-C3B81FCF1125.jpeg
4014985D-BD5A-47A5-A9D8-C3B81FCF1125.jpeg (50.43 KiB) Viewed 772 times
95E7F5A3-2028-4E4F-8B6C-BC9D2AE77B4D.jpeg
95E7F5A3-2028-4E4F-8B6C-BC9D2AE77B4D.jpeg (88.98 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Veni Vidi Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around