No more PCX for me

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Hax
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Re: No more PCX for me

Post by Hax »

If I had retaliated and injured the attackers the police would prosecute me. This is the reality. Some people I know were attacked in their own home by 3 masked raiders a few weeks ago. This was targeted against them, for reasons that I won't go into. One of them was severely injured by a knife and probably won't get full use of one of her hands back again. Police told them not to go out alone, change their routines and warned them not to carry a weapon to defend themselves with. Oh and they gave them an alarm.
Recently a group on Facebook tried to get bikers together to deal with bike theft themselves. The police stepped in and stopped them.
The police rang at 8am this morning. Basically confirmed the details that I had already given them and said they would text me a crime number, which they have. Also asked me if there were CCTV cameras where it happened. Shouldn't they know this? Suggested that I went back and had a look....which I won't be doing!!?? Told me that the case will be closed as 'there is nothing to investigate'. Assault? Robbery with violence? I wonder if they had assaulted me as a pedestrian, would the response be the same? I don't see any difference in the assault, regardless of what I was travelling on? As I said before, there are no consequences to those committing these crimes. They have probably done it before and will do it again. Why wouldn't they?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

In the UK the laws are such that you have no rights to defend yourself from harm. Wow, that gives the bad guys free reign to do whatever.In the US as crazy as we are where everyone carries a pistol or revolver the crime is minimal, but where guns are outlawed the crime is rampant. Does it make sense? probably not to most but it works ..Called equalization factor.In some counties it is mandated by law to own a gun or suffer penalties..
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote:In the UK the laws are such that you have no rights to defend yourself from harm.
Completely and utterly wrong.
We are entitled to use "reasonable force" to defend ourselves.
The circumstances determine what force is reasonable.

Also, scooter theft is at epidemic proportions in London and it may come as a surprise to some that London is but one city.

Elsewhere in the UK there are a great many places where scooter theft theft is almost unheard of.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Sad story... Glad you you have'nt been badly injured, even though i suspect the psychological trauma must be severe. I've had 2 pcx stolen. Luckly I was'nt on the bike when it happened. My dealer says they are the most stolen bikes in Europe. Never had any news of the stolen ones, altough i still check regularly even years after if one of mine pops up in an ad. They have most probably been chopped away or gone to Poland/ Romania / whatever.

Your story made me think maybe a keyless / remote deactivating would help in these cases of bike jacking? Let them get at a safe distance, then block engine at the press of a button and an alarm goes off?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

TomTom,
Good idea but I could see problems with that as well, especially if your scooter is taken while you are on it and in a bad part of town. You'd have to then go to your bike, with the thieves still there trying to get it running. If you wait until they leave your bike, where do you stand while waiting that is safe, especially in a bad part of town?
Still, it is a better idea than just doing nothing. If the disabler is on the key fob, wouldn't the thieves demand that you give them the key? Separate the key fob from the disabler.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Im from the UK and have more legal firearms than most Northern Americans. I wouldnt use one in the slightest for self defence, never mind a scooter theft.

Guns have no place in day to day society. Its a sign of a bigger problem.

Scooter theft in London vs 11 school shootings in the USA so far. I know where my head and heart is.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

"I wouldnt use one in the slightest for self defence, never mind a scooter theft."

Well, lets say you are in a crowded restaurant and you are carrying a legal permitted firearm. Some lunatic stands up and starts firing away. You then say you would not use your weapon in the slightest for selt defence. (including children , others, or youself)??. The legal paremeter in the US is the same as UK. appropriate amount of force for the situation. Using a weapon of any kind without reasonable fear of life or limb is a serious crime.Are guns a problem , you bet ... so are knives, bricks, stones , bats and poison.. Guns are a problem everywhere unfortunately in America that ship has sailed..Sometimes the only way to fight fire is with fire..
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:"I wouldnt use one in the slightest for self defence, never mind a scooter theft."

Well, lets say you are in a crowded restaurant and you are carrying a legal permitted firearm. Some lunatic stands up and starts firing away. You then say you would not use your weapon in the slightest for selt defence. (including children , others, or youself)??. The legal paremeter in the US is the same as UK. appropriate amount of force for the situation. Using a weapon of any kind without reasonable fear of life or limb is a serious crime.Are guns a problem , you bet ... so are knives, bricks, stones , bats and poison.. Guns are a problem everywhere unfortunately in America that ship has sailed..Sometimes the only way to fight fire is with fire..
Mel it kind of doesnt happen here in North Yorkshire.

Bit of a silly stupid scenario. Might happen in your life.

Not mine.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

"Might happen in your life.

Not mine."

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian ... nd-killing
marval
Year: 2019
Color: Red

Post by marval »

As a UK resident ally my life, I find myself dumbfounded by our pathetic police. They do nothing but hide behind the cuts, and red tape. They have a duty of care. I know they won't now investigate shop lifting less than £200 value, but to ring up and text a crime number, for an agrivated violent robbery is sickening. We are heading for anarchy and nobody cares. God help us.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:"Might happen in your life.

Not mine."

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian ... nd-killing
You need to get more with the tabloids. Much deeper vein of stupidity you could mine.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

marval wrote:As a UK resident ally my life, I find myself dumbfounded by our pathetic police. They do nothing but hide behind the cuts, and red tape. They have a duty of care. I know they won't now investigate shop lifting less than £200 value, but to ring up and text a crime number, for an agrivated violent robbery is sickening. We are heading for anarchy and nobody cares. God help us.

The police dont havea duty of care, no more than an average citizen, as you call it. Thats an element of Civil Law. Ffs.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

87112 wrote:wtf/ when I think of UK I think of London and people sipping tea watching foreigners do all the dirty jobs.. sorry had to let that out.

Not a problem. As a kid I was speechless about segregation.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Widespread firearm ownership means increased risk of violence.

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

http://www.humanosphere.org/science/201 ... est-world/
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

What happened in France is still quite fresh. To say something like that won't happen in your country is to wear blinders.
We have seen it happen in America when we thought we were insulated from such violence.
Also keep in mind that there are so many illegal guns in circulation now that the bad guys are now armed quite well. Take guns away from the average citizen now and you will see the statistics skyrocket.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:What happened in France is still quite fresh. To say something like that won't happen in your country is to wear blinders.
We have seen it happen in America when we thought we were insulated from such violence.
Also keep in mind that there are so many illegal guns in circulation now that the bad guys are now armed quite well. Take guns away from the average citizen now and you will see the statistics skyrocket.

I can see that as a possibility tbh
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mel46 wrote:Take guns away from the average citizen now and you will see the statistics skyrocket.
Its the fact that average citizens have unrestricted access to firearms that is the reason why the stats have already skyrocketed in your country.

Your country's attitude to firearm ownership is a cancer that threatens to engulf the whole world.

The sooner you lot wake up to reality the better.

As an illustration of how unbelievably ridiculous your country actually is on this issue, your "stable genius" of a president has overturned legislation preventing mentally ill people from owning firearms.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-set-overt ... ion-557237
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

No question about it..you are right we do have a lunatic running the asylum, however Mel is right. taking away the guns from all the good people will only leave the guns with the bad ones.. holding the good hostage and defensesless. Taking away guns??? that ship has sailed and if you are aware of the history of our second amendment rights you will know why guns have proliferated in the US.With now new developments worldwide in terrorism it would be wise for every able man woman to be armed. Otherwise you will have a shooter having free reign over the defenseless.Its a new world today where violence is the norm so its imperative one is prepared. like going out on a boat you will take a life preserver. Sad yes the world has come to this , but neverless it is what it is.You say guns only perpetuates violence, maybe its violence that perpetuates the need for guns.The equalizer. Food for thought.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote:With now new developments worldwide in terrorism it would be wise for every able man woman to be armed.
Everyone in the Alfred P. Murrah building carrying firearms would have made a difference?

Everyone in the twin towers carrying firearms would have made a difference?

Guns are no defence against terrorist attacks.

In a domestic situation criminals don't need guns to rob unarmed people, so everyone having guns increases the likelihood that criminals will carry and use firearms.