Bike theft who is responsible?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Bike theft who is responsible?

Post by Slowinitdown »

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-new ... rder-steal

It's a staggering statistic 163% increase on last year. My little PCX 125 could easily be lifted into a van it's so light. What can the manufacturers do? I'd like to see a taser style disc lock or chain that zaps whoever tampers with it or hook up something onto the handle bars.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Re: Bike theft who is responsible?

Post by PCX150Rider »

At the end of the day if someone is equipped and they really want it bad enough they will probably get it. Being discrete where you park it is a good start against loss. Insure it for theft. Put the lock of your choice on it anyways and if you can anchor it to something all the better. If you park it at a restaurant try to leave it where you can keep an eye on it out the window while you are eating. We all live in fear of the bandit. 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That is one reason that I try to park mine by a window when I go to a store or I stop to eat somewhere. Because of the centerstand, I have no problem parking my PCX on the sidewalk close to the wall/window.

When at home, consider buying an anchor that is cemented into the ground...like this one:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... prod147262

Not cheap, but very secure.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Mel46 wrote:That is one reason that I try to park mine by a window when I go to a store or I stop to eat somewhere. Because of the centerstand, I have no problem parking my PCX on the sidewalk close to the wall/window.

When at home, consider buying an anchor that is cemented into the ground...like this one:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... prod147262

Not cheap, but very secure.
Not very secure ..one solid whack with a hand held sledge hammer and away you go. Maybe a couple whacks ..
Camera, proximity sensor alarm and good insurance..
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

If you live in a city, in an apt. with no access to a locked garage, your best bet would be to get a ground floor unit and park your bike in the kitchen if necessary. Next best might be to get permission to park the bike under a street lamp in front of the closest police station. I don't think chains or anchors with chains attached is much of a solution in this day of portable angle grinders.
In big cities like London the thieves are probably more adept than their country cousins. They see themselves as professionals, and no doubt even enjoy challenges to their prowess.
In the US there are not quite 50000 motorcycle thefts a year. Not too bad if you divide that by the number of states...about a thousand per year per state. Here is an article that describes the situation as of 2016.

DES PLAINES, Ill., May 18, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) today released a report on motorcycle thefts in the United States for 2016. A total of 46,467 motorcycles were reported stolen in 2016 compared with 45,555 reported stolen in 2015 — an increase of two percent.

Although 2016 delivered another slight increase in motorcycle thefts, motorcycle thefts are down considerably since 2006. They have dropped from 66,774 in 2006 to 46,467 in 2016 — a decline of 30 percent.

The top 10 states with the most reported motorcycles thefts in 2016 were California (7,506), Florida (4,482), Texas (3,692), South Carolina (2,057), North Carolina (1,847), New York (1,731), Indiana (1,397), Georgia (1,296), Missouri (1,195), and Nevada (1,177).

The top 10 cities for motorcycle thefts in 2016 were New York (1,209), San Diego (849), Las Vegas (818), Los Angeles (760) San Francisco (616), Miami (610), Houston (607), San Antonio (411), Phoenix (347), and Austin, Texas, (343).

The top 10 most stolen motorcycles in 2016 by manufacturer were American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (9,052 thefts), Yamaha Motor Corporation (7,723), American Suzuki Motor Corporation (6,229), Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (5,221), Harley Davidson, Inc. (4,953), Taotao Group Co. Ltd (2,673), KTM Sportmotorcycle AG (762), Ducati Motor Holding (521), Genuine Cycle (463), and Kymco U.S.A., Inc. (453).

The most motorcycle thefts occurred in August (5,251) and the fewest in February (2,547) which continues to reflect a weather-influenced pattern that is consistent with previous years.

Download the complete report here and an infographic here.

Anyone with information concerning insurance fraud or vehicle theft can report it anonymously by calling toll-free 800-TEL-NICB (800-835-6422), texting keyword "fraud" to TIP411 (847411) or submitting a form on our website. Or, download the NICB Fraud Tips app on your iPhone or Android device.

About the National Insurance Crime Bureau: Headquartered in Des Plaines, Ill., the NICB is the nation's leading not-for-profit organization exclusively dedicated to preventing, detecting and defeating insurance fraud and vehicle theft through data analytics, investigations, training, legislative advocacy and public awareness. The NICB is supported by more than 1,100 property and casualty insurance companies and self-insured organizations. NICB member companies wrote over $436 billion in insurance premiums in 2016, or more than 79 percent of the nation's property/casualty insurance. That includes more than 94 percent ($202 billion) of the nation's personal auto insurance. To learn more visit www.nicb.org.

To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 58887.html

SOURCE National Insurance Crime Bureau

The information on this page is provided by PR Newswire. All rights reserved. Reproduction or redistribution of this content without prior written consent from PR Newswire is strictly prohibited. Chicago Business Journal is not responsible for this content. Learn more about this service.

ABOUT PR NEWSWIRE
Pr Logo The information on this page is provided by PR Newswire. Chicago Business Journal is not responsible for this content.
Learn More
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Someone can cut through 10mm of hardened steel with an angle grinder in 10 seconds. You can secure your bike all you want, a determined thief is going to get it. The best insurance is a theft or comprehensive insurance policy.

My bike is stored for the winter and it's just sitting in my carport, not secured to anything. I just have a cover to keep the dust off and just to keep it away from casual eyes.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have a friend who only has a carport but he chained his bike by way of the device I just showed you, plus he parked the family's least used car up against the bike. There is no way for the thief to get the bike out even if he cut through the chain.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

dkazzed wrote:My bike is stored for the winter and it's just sitting in my carport, not secured to anything. I just have a cover to keep the dust off and just to keep it away from casual eyes.
I hope you were knocking on a nice think piece of oak when you typed that...although, I must say, it's kind of hard to picture the enactment of that scenario.
superandyp
Year: 2016

Post by superandyp »

Has anyone seen the skunk lock. That is a funny solution. Cut through that and you get a nasty supprise
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

superandyp wrote:Has anyone seen the skunk lock. That is a funny solution. Cut through that and you get a nasty supprise
It is an interesting idea. but they are not available for purchase. This is a start-up company looking for funding.
There is one problem with the lock, other than it not being on the market yet and maybe never going to be, and that is: What happens if it is no more reliable than the disc locks with built in alarms? I had one by Xena, a pretty good lock. But ever and anon it would go off all by itself when it was jolted as I was out riding. No biggie...I just had to stop and switch it off. Now, if one of these skunk locks should detonate, which seems very possible to me, a (at least) minor tragedy would ensue.
Tyke
Year: 2017
Color: Black

Post by Tyke »

DO What you can i have 2 ground anchors in the shed, 1 steel cable and lock, disc lock, shed alarm, a little trick i was told works is get a baby alarm type system one in house one in the shed. works fine and when the shed alarm kicks in on trying it. it will wake you up.
UK London just look on youtube how bad scooter bike theft is. when out i use a chain and disc lock, place where it can be seen
chain to something solid if you can deterrent at best
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

flyingzonker wrote:
superandyp wrote:Has anyone seen the skunk lock. That is a funny solution. Cut through that and you get a nasty supprise
It is an interesting idea. but they are not available for purchase. This is a start-up company looking for funding.
There is one problem with the lock, other than it not being on the market yet and maybe never going to be, and that is: What happens if it is no more reliable than the disc locks with built in alarms? I had one by Xena, a pretty good lock. But ever and anon it would go off all by itself when it was jolted as I was out riding. No biggie...I just had to stop and switch it off. Now, if one of these skunk locks should detonate, which seems very possible to me, a (at least) minor tragedy would ensue.

I’m not sure you can have a minor tragedy :lol:
Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by Slowinitdown »

you you wrote:
flyingzonker wrote:

I’m not sure you can have a minor tragedy :lol:

Shitting yourself is a minor tragedy
Hax
Color: Black

Post by Hax »

I had my PCX stolen whilst I was riding it! No amount of security is going to help in that situation?
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

Hax wrote:I had my PCX stolen whilst I was riding it! No amount of security is going to help in that situation?
London?
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

Big chain lock, plus pcx alarm on, in secure location like a parking lot or resident compound with security guards.

I am fully aware that the notorious BIG VAN branded "BIG GOLD CUP" can whip my bike away in 3 seconds.