Long Term Honda PCX Review

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Beachboy
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2022
Color: Red

Long Term Honda PCX Review

Post by Beachboy »

Four years and 280,000 Youtube views later, I'm back with a follow-up taking a look at my old PCX. Still a great bike.

https://youtu.be/4sYvHuSO3nA
Life's a beach in Thailand
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013

Re: Long Term Honda PCX Review

Post by flyingzonker »

very nice review. Yes, it is a great bike. I have 16000 miles on mine and have never had a problem. I too change the oil more often than is required. Also I change the air filter quite often--I don't buy new filters but change the element on the one the bike came with. I know there are those who frown on this kind of jerryrigging but it pleases me enormously. I had to laugh to hear you almost apologizing--or did you actually apologize?--for the very subtle deteriorization of the bike's finish. Ha ha. My bike looks like it slid on its side down Pike's peak and was dragged back up on its other side! As for adjusting the values...I have never done it or had it down either. It is, to my mind, worse than a waste of time, it is an invasive procedure of monumental proportions and like most such procedures, the collateral consequences are often (usually) worse than the (intended) results are beneficial.
A lovely scene, Thailand. I envy you, especially come January here in Illinois.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

It occurs to me to add that while I have no use for the idea of adjust the valves on this bike...there ia a proviso to this statement: If you should hear a kind chattering sound coming from hyour engine, THAT is the time to look into having the valves adjusted. But to fix what isn't broken (and at such a cost in money and/or effort!)..since when is that a recommendable MO?
Last edited by flyingzonker on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

As for adjusting the values...I have never done it or had it down either. It is, to my mind, worse than a waste of time, it is an invasive procedure of monumental proportions and like most such procedures, the collateral consequences are often (usually) worse than the (intended) results are beneficial.
Thanks for qualifying that with ..... "It is, to my mind".

I can't say if Honda's service intervals are optimum. But every engine with mechanical lifters that I've ever had or knew of since I started working on them 50 years ago required checking of valve lifter clearance occasionally. And I've personally seen the results of incorrect gap - both too loose and too tight - on the lifters and valves. And I've seen damage (dings, etc) on the lifters' faces that then make subsequent measurements invalid because the faces are no longer level - and then listened to people complain that they couldn't keep them in adjustment.

There's a reason most modern vehicles have hydraulic lifters - they give up performance in order to eliminate the need for the hassle of adjustments. But the PCX's mechanical lifters require the same attention as my 1970 Triumph's do, most MCs, racing engines or any other hi- performance engine with that design.

Hey, each to their own - and I have no axe to grind - people can do what they want. I hope everyone can ride safe and have engines that respond well to whatever maintenance schedule their owners provide.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

flyingzonker wrote:It occurs to me to add that while I have no use for the idea of adjust the valves on this bike...there ia a proviso to this statement: If you should hear a kind chattering sound coming from hyour engine, THAT is the time to look into having the valves adjusted. But to fix what isn't broken (and at such a cost in money and/or effort!)..since when is that a recommendable MO?
No. That MAY make sense to detect a too loose situation IF it's a motorcycle engine .... air-cooled with deep fins to resonate heat - and amplify sound wonderfully.

But it doesn't detect a too tight condition and it's completely useless on a liquid cooled engine that doesn't resonate sound well, especially one surrounded by body panels. Just put a long wooden dowel on your forehead and then contact the other end on various parts/ locations on a running engine with a liquid cooling system any you'll be amazed what you didn't hear before.

I'm not going to add anymore on this thread, do what you want, and provide recommendations as you like. Peace.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

springer1 wrote:
flyingzonker wrote:It occurs to me to add that while I have no use for the idea of adjust the valves on this bike...there ia a proviso to this statement: If you should hear a kind chattering sound coming from hyour engine, THAT is the time to look into having the valves adjusted. But to fix what isn't broken (and at such a cost in money and/or effort!)..since when is that a recommendable MO?
No. That MAY make sense to detect a too loose situation IF it's a motorcycle engine .... air-cooled with deep fins to resonate heat - and amplify sound wonderfully.

But it doesn't detect a too tight condition and it's completely useless on a liquid cooled engine that doesn't resonate sound well, especially one surrounded by body panels. Just put a long wooden dowel on your forehead and then contact the other end on various parts/ locations on a running engine with a liquid cooling system any you'll be amazed what you didn't hear before.

I'm not going to add anymore on this thread, do what you want, and provide recommendations as you like. Peace.
I'm not going to pretend to knowledge I don't have. I will only say that until my engine gives me some sign to the contrary I am going to assume that it is just as well to leave it alone--change oil, filter, plug, brake pads, Yes!, but to trear it down or have it done (by technicians whose skill I know not of and have not that much reason to trust) is something my heart will not let me do. I may regret it by and by.... Well, then it will be just one more of many regrettable things I can recall (but prefer not to when I can). Your experience has taught you one thing and mine has taught me something else...you seem to be more proactive than I am, I am more of a watch and wait sort of bloke. Takes all kinds.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I think the PCX is as reliable as a lawn mower. Can't remember ever setting valves on a lawn mower. Bent some blades though and had to take care of the filters and oil.

IMHO I think as long as you don't ride WOT all the time the wear and tear on the PCX will be minimal. Just keep the normal maintenance of filters, cleaning screens, oil changes, brake fluid and coolant, and brake pads up to date or as needed and it should give one many miles of faithful service.

Remember that the 2017 U.S. version of the SM calls out for the first valve check at 600 miles. That being said the U.K. version recommends 4,000 miles. Why such a dramatic margin of difference? The debate can begin on Idle Stop vs. no Idle Stop or fuel grades or urban vs suburban/rural riding of course but at the end of the day there is something to be said for "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Then again, don't be stupid about it either. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". . .depending upon what level of discomfort you may be trying to avoid is another factor as well.

Which brings us to:

The Yin and Yang :lol:
yin-yang-symbol.jpg
yin-yang-symbol.jpg (27.49 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Yes, it's an open question. How anyone approaches it depends on which way each one's life experience ( plus his/her baked-in tendencies) inclines him. Suppose as a teen you rode around on a motorcycle that DEMANDED that you regularly adjust the valves (you could hear the engine chatter if you let it go too long). You are thereafter going to be powerfully prone to be sensitive to this issue with every bike you own thereafter. No?
That being said, What Springer said needs a certain amount of careful consideration. I am tempted to go at this like a scientist--I don't want to look like a "valve adjustment necessity denier". Maybe, when the weather turns, I will tear down my PCX and check those valves. If they need adjustment, I will adjust. If they don't....well, at least I will have the satisfaction of saying: See? (Big Job: Small Satisfaction)

Apropos this business of heading off the devil: I was once, many years ago, mowing a large lawn on a rickety old Cub Cadet riding mower. It was a small mower close to the ground. As I clunked along, about halfway through, I saw something ahead on the ground. I approached and gradually was able to discard various possible identities for this thing, not a rock, not a tennis ball, not a mushroom or a puffball. A toad! Yes, and a big one. When I drew up next to him I stopped and leaned over to get a look. The toad sat there in the blast of the ejection port. He looked ill at ease, he looked like he couldn't make up his mind, he looked worried. I was about to pass him by to get on with my work when suddenly he made his move! and jumped squarely into the ejection port, probably figuring he'd be safer under the mower than out in plain sight. Well, it was, shall we say, a bad idea. He was not under the deck for long. Exactly 1/2000th of a second after he jumped in he was back out transformed into a mess of who knows how many bloody pieces. If he had just sat tight until I had passed, he would be alive today...he'd probably be the oldest toad on record, but he'd be alive or at least more alive than he was after he exercised his proactivity.

So, who knows? I guess the only way to find out is to bite the bullet and do the job. However the experiment should turn out it would yield results that would be useful to a forum like this one. Let me ponder. Maybe I can screw my courage up to the sticking point. (God, I hope not!)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

So, who knows? I guess the only way to find out is to bite the bullet and do the job. However the experiment should turn out it would yield results that would be useful to a forum like this one. Let me ponder. Maybe I can screw my courage up to the sticking point. (God, I hope not!)
I have two things to say:

1) Take pics as you go along on the valve adjustment not only to impress the forum. . .but also to give you an idea of the trail you just walked through to get back to where you were to begin with. Homie's videos are a great help also. I was under the impression from my early riding days that a "noisy valve was a happy valve". It shut. But a real noisy valve was a demon to be reckoned with. And then there were those weak valve springs and then and then and then. I do digress.

2) I miss not seeing toads like I did when I was a kid. They used to be large and plentiful. And then there were the little ones that emerged seasonally. When I do see one. . .especially mowing the lawn. . .I consider it a cause for celebration and at the end of the job grab a cold one and offer a toast to the survival of the species as I admire my work. 8)
Beachboy
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Beachboy »

I found the video of the valve adjustment, well...the non-valve adjustment. Pretty funny the amount of work it takes to check the valves, only to find it doesn't need it. Yeah, it's a lawnmower engine. Don't waste your time, but if that's what floats your boat, have fun.

How much does it cost to have a valve adjustment where it's required for warranty purposes? Can you blow it off? It's strictly a dealer money maker IMHO.

https://youtu.be/ierh8gBeuLg
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

Beachboy wrote:Four years and 280,000 Youtube views later, I'm back with a follow-up taking a look at my old PCX. Still a great bike.

Nice review. Thailand is beautiful. Never lived there, but i did live in Taipei Taiwan which is also beautiful, and has crazy traffic too. I'm curious, would you consider upgrading to either the Honda PCX electric or hybrid that are coming to asia later this year? They aren't coming to the states anytime soon...so if you do buy one...definitely do a review for us here. Thanks!
izani
Year: 2015

Post by izani »

Beachboy wrote:Four years and 280,000 Youtube views later, I'm back with a follow-up taking a look at my old PCX. Still a great bike.

Excellent review... My PCX exactly same as yours... Pearl white, 2015 too. But my mileage just 13,000km++. A bit lower than yours :D

Till now near zero issue too. :ugeek: Built to last I guest ;)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Beachboy wrote:I found the video of the valve adjustment, well...the non-valve adjustment. Pretty funny the amount of work it takes to check the valves, only to find it doesn't need it. Yeah, it's a lawnmower engine. Don't waste your time, but if that's what floats your boat, have fun.

How much does it cost to have a valve adjustment where it's required for warranty purposes? Can you blow it off? It's strictly a dealer money maker IMHO.

That's my valve clearance video and yes it's not for everyone. I do so enjoy working on bikes, tear down/reassembly is half the fun to me. Easier to do if you have more than one bike so you have no down time I guess.

As for the need to maintain your one year warranty if you are not mechanically inclined go ahead and submit it for scheduled services. I promise you the dealer will ONLY check the box and not tear down your new bike like I demonstrate. Those valves are fine and you will probably trade the bike before they ever need adjustment. When I purchase my next PCX I will continue to do my own services (less the valve clearance check next time) voiding the factory warranty. Never purchase extended warranties in the States as parts are very inexpensive and you CAN do this yourself if you had to... I know you can :D
Beachboy
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Beachboy »

homie wrote:
Beachboy wrote:I found the video of the valve adjustment, well...the non-valve adjustment. Pretty funny the amount of work it takes to check the valves, only to find it doesn't need it. Yeah, it's a lawnmower engine. Don't waste your time, but if that's what floats your boat, have fun.

That's my valve clearance video and yes it's not for everyone. I do so enjoy working on bikes, tear down/reassembly is half the fun to me. Easier to do if you have more than one bike so you have no down time I guess.

As for the need to maintain your one year warranty if you are not mechanically inclined go ahead and submit it for scheduled services. I promise you the dealer will ONLY check the box and not tear down your new bike like I demonstrate. Those valves are fine and you will probably trade the bike before they ever need adjustment. When I purchase my next PCX I will continue to do my own services (less the valve clearance check next time) voiding the factory warranty. Never purchase extended warranties in the States as parts are very inexpensive and you CAN do this yourself if you had to... I know you can :D
Well, my hat is off to you, sir. Like climbing Mt Everest because it's there.

As far as the new PCX models coming, no sign of them yet. I spend so little for gas (118 KPL) I can't see how I could ever justify an electric or hybrid model if it was any more money. Now, if either of the models offered say 20% better acceleration...now we're talking. I will let the group know if I see any sign of these models.