riding in the cold

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

riding in the cold

Post by flyingzonker »

(thought I had posted this the other day, but don't find it in the line up so I guess I must have neglected to press the submit button. so for what it's worth....)

I ride all winter. Most days I don't see any other riders---except, here and there, riders of bicycles. Come late Feb I begin to see other riders--few and far between. Two things I have noticed about these other hardy souls: They invariably are on cruisers and they invariably are sans helmet. This astonishes me greatly. I can well understand how someone might want the wind in his (thinning) hair on a hot day in July, but 30 or 35 degrees on a February day?

Most of the excuses people give for not wearing helmets are related to comfort. My observations above mentioned seem to give the lie to this. I think this helmetlessness-no-matter-what is more a matter of image. They would rather be freezing cold than uncool (or what they consider uncool).

As an almost any weather rider I can say that my greatest friend is my big, yellow, full-face plastic hat. No numb face. No frozen ears. I may look like a potato-head--but I am a comfortable potato and loving it.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: riding in the cold

Post by gn2 »

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Yup. . .you posted it. Keep wearing the helmet. ;)
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

I guess the moderator moved it to Off-topic for some reason. It is just as well: this post is an improvement over the original I think. Which leads me to suggest an experiment: Write your post, copy it, save it somewhere without submitting and in a few days come back to the topic. Rewrite your post without referring to the first draft and submit. This process, seems to me, might greatly improve the quality of forums all across the internet.

Dream on....
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

...if you don't forget which thread or subject it was that you were writing it about. Some of us old folks can't remember tomorrow where we were when we thought to reply to a subject today.

...what was that I was saying?...hmmm never mind.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:...if you don't forget which thread or subject it was that you were writing it about. Some of us old folks can't remember tomorrow where we were when we thought to reply to a subject today.

...what was that I was saying?...hmmm never mind.
Well, yes, "senior moments" have a way of crimping an old guy's style...When I was young I knew an old codger who used to say:"Old age is hell". I am now about the age he was then and...I don't want to say he was right but, sometimes,I find myself saying pretty much the same thing.

Old age. Who the hell thought that up anyway? Too bad Ponce de Leon didn't find what he was looking for.