Juddering Vibration recently in the cold weather

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

Hi guys,

Hopefully nothing to worry but I've noticed that when i pull away between 0-10mph, i get the juddering vibration all over the bike, its not smooth like it use to be, performance wise i dont think its made any affect because after 10mph, its smooth all the way to the limit.

This only ever happens when I'm pulling away or between 0-10mph and its only happened twice!

First time was last friday when it was the coldest day every, my hand almost had frostbites and the other time was today it was frosty cold but not as bad as friday. Today it did it again but it wasnt as bad, I'm thinking this is linked to cold temps?

I havent check my oil, will do when i leave work but thought i just throw it out there and see if anyone else has this?

Apart from that, theres no speed loss or anythinge else affected.

thanks
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Juddering Vibration recently in the cold weather

Post by Taz »

if its before the engine has warmed up, then start it early and let it warm up a few minutes before moving.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

I tend to let it warm for about a min then ride.

on Friday, i dont recall happening on the way to work but on the way home, it did this all the way from start to end and my ride is approx an hour so if its a warming issue, it should have stopped after 15mins?

Today, it seemed fine, however closer to the end of my journey into work, it starts to do it but not as bad.

Strange.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Were you doing a lot of stop start and low speed?
Maybe just needs a bit of a blast.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

not doing anything different than usual, will check my oil as thats the only thing I can think of. Spark plug?

There are a few stop start places, some long straights.

Only thing I can think of is the bitter cold in the mornings/evenings.
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

would say its just a cold drive train......nothing more nothing to worry about
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

trigg123 wrote:would say its just a cold drive train......nothing more nothing to worry about
The belt will probably harden up in the cold weather.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Could it be icy moisture on ignition lead thats then thawing? Just speculating as only place I would get icy conditions is top of a mountain in mid winter. ;)
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

well i think its a cold drive train too.

checked oil and its full, had it park at work underground so not that cold, rode it out and its fine, nearly got home and it started to vibrate a bit more.

I suspect its the cold doing something, guess even with almost an hours ride, it cant 'warm' that area.

Good thing its nothing to worry about :lol:
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

The only thing is.....it's not that cold! The PCX should easily be able to handle the temps that we in the South have been experiencing so far. I think the lowest overnight temperature on the coast has been about -1 so far, hardly Siberia. I think, if you are having an issue like this, you should get it checked under warranty.

Bill
Image[/URL
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

Theboybilly wrote:The only thing is.....it's not that cold! The PCX should easily be able to handle the temps that we in the South have been experiencing so far. I think the lowest overnight temperature on the coast has been about -1 so far, hardly Siberia. I think, if you are having an issue like this, you should get it checked under warranty.

Bill
Seems to come and go, i'll have it checked on on the next service which is in a few months.
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

I work for a Honda dealership in Florida (USA) and today one of the tech's asked if he could take my PCX150 for a ride after explaining a customer was having what sounded like the same issue being discussed here, to compare the two. After riding mine he said there's definitely something wrong with other bike, but hadn't found anything in the belt system that was out of the ordinary. This happened towards the end of the day and I didn't get a chance to ask him if he found a solution. I'll try and remember to ask tomorrow.
Scootin'

Post by Scootin' »

Your not alone my son's 2013 PCX150 (apprx 500 miles) is doing the same thing. He lives in Kansas (& has started hauling his girlfriend around on it lately). I have the same machine with about 250 miles it pulls perfect even in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky. His does it every time he rides it. I told him to blow it out (WOT). Did not fix the issue. I believe his belt is slipping. The cold weather cold be the culprit but without inspecting the belt myself I'd say the belt is glazed. New belt will more than likely fix it. Have to wait til June to get my hands on it. If anyones has this issue change the belt and give us some feedback.

Thanks
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

To the people having this issue, how aggressively have you been riding your PCX? And by aggressive I mean do you ride full throttle a lot or do you accelerate conservatively and rarely reach top speed? I'm just curious if there's a correlation to either riding style or a random thing. I really don't think it's a temperature issue because it hasn't been colder than 50 degrees here since the PCX was introduced.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

i dont ride agressively rarely full throttle.

I have reached 60mph once and thats about it lol

its seems to come and go, nothing has changed, some days its perfectly fine others i can feel it more but at the moment its not as bad at the first time.
Scootin'

Post by Scootin' »

I run it up and down mountains full throttle every time a run to town. 6 miles one way. My son (the one with the shudder) putts around around 35 mph with his girlfriend most of the time. Temps from 26 degrees to 80 degrees.
FritzPinguin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by FritzPinguin »

I have the same effect on my 150. The first few starts in the morning are vibrating, but it settles quite quickly after warm-up. I noticed the effect first time at about 1500 kms, Honda told me this is normal and no reason to worry. And yes, temperatures are near 30°C here...
Bike history: Germany: Staiger 50cc 2-stroke, BMW 250 (from 1952, my age), Honda Dax ST70, Honda CB 125 (Twin), Honda CB 750, Kawa Z400j
Thailand: Kawa Zephyr 400, Honda Wave 110 S, Kawa ZX130, PCX 150 (as far as I can remember)
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

i've done just over 1000miles (from the last time i checked).

guess its nothing to worry about yet
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

No problem was found with customers PCX, Honda said they haven't had any issues with this and should continue using it, so he picked it up yesterday. I wish I would've rode his scoot just to get a feel for how aggressive it is. If I hear anything in the future from Honda I'll certainly let everyone know.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I have always had the same issue -- occasional drive clatter when accelerating from a stop, only at low speed. I think the belt's just bouncing around. The dealer looked at mine right after I got it because I complained about it, they said it was normal.

I've also opened the cover to look at the belt -- mine looks fine, everything's okay over 6000 miles later. Don't worry about it, the juddering is normal for the PCX. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes