Once I had a topbox, now I have none

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Once I had a topbox, now I have none

Post by flyingzonker »

Two days ago I was flying down an interurban arterial road doing about 50. I don't really like this stretch of the way too much because the pavement buckles from shoulder to median strip every hundred yards--allowing no escape-- and the little PCX bounces over these barriers jostling the rider and not doing itself any good either. The temperature was very low, something like 6 degrees. The road was fairly crowded. The people in the cars, when I noticed them, were wearing faces of incredulity. Some of them were undoubtedly thinking something like" Oh what a poor devil this guy must be to have to ride a motorbike on a day like this!" Little did they know I was full of delight, as usual, on my daily ride and would be "walking the wall" as my granny used to say, without it. Anyway, about halfway to where I was going I heard a loud "crack!" followed a moment later by a "thump thump thump". I looked back and there was my extra large topbox lying in the middle of the street. I loop around and ride back toward it. I see a (nice) man who has stopped and picked up the box. I gesture to him to put it in the medial strip. He nods and sets it down there. I have to go 200 yards further down the road to a place where I can park. From there I walk back to where the box is, pick it up, examine it and carry it to the bike. No way I can attach it. Too cold. I have tools but just can't handle the job. I need parts, I need fasteners, I need time to figure out what happened.There is a park nearby. I carry the box to the park, find a bunch of Christmas trees in the parking lot that people drop off there to be chipped and used for mulch by the park district. I hide the box among the trees with the intention of driving over in the car first thing in the morning to retrieve it. Next morning I drive over, and jump out of the car cursing! The trees have been chipped and there is not a topbox in sight!!!
This is getting long and I have to go. I guess the moral of the story is: Do a better job of fastening your topbox than I did
or at least check it every so often to see if the fastening system is holding. Or failing these, after it flies off and goes bouncing down the road,at least don't be dumb enough to think that after you pick it up and hide it under a pile of discarded Christmas trees that it is still going to be there 10 hours later. GO BACK AND GET IT RIGHT AWAY! ASAP!
Oh! What nice, handy, roomy, troublefree (until now) topbox it was!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: Once I had a topbox, now I have none

Post by Mel46 »

Oh, that's not good! It is easy to forget to check to see if they are secure. My wife has forgotten before. We were lucky because I came behind her and checked it before we took off. There is no light or anything else that lets you know that you did it correctly.

If you are worried that this might happen again I would like to suggest that you drill 2 holes in the bottom of your next box and tie wrap it to the base from the inside with a releasable tie wrap. It won't get in the way of whatever is stored in it, and it will give you peace of mind. Another advantage of this is that you will know if the bucket is lined up properly because the tie wrap holes will line up.
Also consider carrying extra tie wraps with you for emergencies.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

That sounds like a good idea. I have been pondering how to anchor my next box...the other one was so handy that I don't even consider doing without a replacement. Part of the problem was that, while the rack for the box is a very sturdy piece of metal, the mounting plate that goes between the box and the rack is plastic. Probably when it gets down in the low teens this plate gets brittle (?) I don't know. But when I went out on that bumpy road at speed a section of the plate with several bolts through it to the box broke off. With that section gone the rest of the bolts in the plate were stressed and gave way too.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Sounds like a real bummer. . .not to mention that "up the creek without a paddle" experience. It makes me think of those times I lost that "double scoop" of ice cream off the cone on a hot Summer day as a kid and sadly watched it melt on the ice cream place parking lot. :roll:

Knock on wood I've been able to get along well with my PCX in mostly stock mode. I did add some deer whistles and a "AA" powered LED light to the under seat storage area. 8)

On my Suzuki Bandit I used a piece of pressure treated plywood mounted to my luggage rack to mount my EMGO travel trunk (the older version) on. I also used stainless steel hold downs and big washers. It extends the position of my trunk just enough to be able to use my Corbin seat with the passenger backrest installed. . .so it's all good. Necessity is the prime motivator in times of hardship. . .it really does make one put their thinking cap on. :geek:
P7160008a.jpg
P7160008a.jpg (210.91 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
I do pay attention to how much stuff I put in it so as not to overload the rack itself or cause handling issues. ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Precarious! That is the only word I can think of for where that particular "Travel Trunk" is located. You definitely have to watch how much weight you put in the box. All of the stress would be right behind the seat, probably right behind the bolts.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Did you use nylock nuts on the original fitting?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

From your description, I expect that the baseplate plastic did just get too brittle with the cold. It is not anybody's fault except the manufacturer for choosing the wrong kind of plastic for your climate, and there is no way for you to know about the problem until catastrophic failure occurs.

The only solution I could propose would be to make a plywood base using threaded inserts (maybe with locktite or some such) and nylon locknuts where necessary, but now that the case is gone it seems moot. If you do, however, end up with the same brand, I would consider investigating a substitute base.

A sad and annoying end of year "present" - I hope your new year sees less hassle.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Precarious! That is the only word I can think of for where that particular "Travel Trunk" is located. You definitely have to watch how much weight you put in the box. All of the stress would be right behind the seat, probably right behind the bolts.
You're right. . .and I did leave a comment under the pic about that on the post.

I've had the machine since it was new. . .20 years old now. . .and make certain to only put stuff like a helmet, sweatshirts, food (no liquids), or other lightweight crap in it. Heavier stuff gets sorted around between the tank bag or soft luggage. Nice thing about the soft luggage is I can re-purpose it between the scoots too.

The plywood is thick and the bolts are stainless. An added plus to having the trunk is it provides a surface to put additional reflective material on.

If I ever sell the machine I'll take the trunk off and just put it back on my KLR (which is now 30 years old. . .bought that new too!) where it was originally mounted.

Here's some more pics. It's due for a more thorough cleaning but I won't be doing that anytime soon. Temps around 10 degrees today and snowing. Probably won't get above freezing until the second week in January. 8)
100_4577a.jpg
100_4577a.jpg (280.48 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
100_4579a.jpg
100_4579a.jpg (203.1 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
100_4580a.jpg
100_4580a.jpg (241.8 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Doesn't look precarious to me, at least not from a "snapping off" point of view. I expect that 3/4" plywood would support at least 40 pounds of stuff bouncing around back there. Not that you would want to do that (handling might get funny), but in a pinch I expect it would be OK.

Throwing a leg over - that's another matter entirely.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

Honda had a recall on rear racks. If you were using a Honda trunk the recall said it could come off the rack.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

The only way I can see this rig in better light
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (132.37 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:The only way I can see this rig in better light

Southern Comfort?

GURL!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Well lookie! Dang, it's Southern Comfort! I just had a few rounds with nephew last night toasting my Dad's birthday (rip). His choice drink, when he drank.
Cheers homie!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Southern Comfort?? Ugh!! Even when I was young and COULD drink, that stuff was too sweet. If you like sweet then get some cognac. It is great when it is cold and miserable outside.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

It's frickin' freezin' here Mel! Worst winter week yet! I'll drink (just about) any alcoholic bev right now :lol: Brandy? but I'll wait till After I shovel. Uhhh...it awaits me now.
Layer those clothes folks, it BITES out there!! :x

And yes....Southern Comfort is too sweet! Dad would get sick the next day. Then send me on bicycle to fetch a pint of Friendly's ice cream. Do we calls that a Southern unComfort HANGOVER? Sures we do :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Oh the shoveling. . .been there done that today already. Just a pinch of salt. LOL!!!

Roads are still surprisingly somewhat snow covered here. . .it's too damn cold to melt. . .windy. . .single digits freezing tonight.

HAPPY FREAKIN NEW YEAR!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

While we are on the subject of dealing with the cold. . .another hearty holiday favorite. :D

A special toast to all those we miss on the holidays who can't be with us today. ;)
100_4583a.jpg
100_4583a.jpg (232 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
Time passes way too quickly. . .enjoy it while you can. . .a new year is ushered in. 8)
100_4585a.jpg
100_4585a.jpg (176.98 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

flyingzonker wrote:... Part of the problem was that, while the rack for the box is a very sturdy piece of metal, the mounting plate that goes between the box and the rack is plastic. Probably when it gets down in the low teens this plate gets brittle (?) I don't know. But when I went out on that bumpy road at speed a section of the plate with several bolts through it to the box broke off. With that section gone the rest of the bolts in the plate were stressed and gave way too.
Yes, this is an accurate assessment. I've bicycle-commuted thru many Northern Colorado winters, and the plastic items are always the first things to break when the temp drops that low. Which brand of box was it? I've bicycled in minus 8F, but +6F is pretty low on a scoot when you're not generating any heat from pedaling! The coldest I've ridden my Honda (a Supercub at that time) was about 16F for a 35 mile commute. It was okay for the first 1/2 hr, but after that I couldn't keep warm!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Saddlebags and boxes need to mount with fender washers. On both sides of the plastic of the Box:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1 ... UTF8&psc=1
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

PCX150Rider wrote:... I used a piece of pressure treated plywood mounted to my luggage rack to mount my EMGO travel trunk (the older version) on. I also used stainless steel hold downs and big washers. ...
You mentioned the SS bolts a couple of times. You've got plenty of them, so there's no strength issue here. Just keep in mind that SS bolts (generally) aren't as strong as carbon steel bolts. Of course, in this application the corrosion resistance is more important than the difference in bolt strength. 8)

Also, you might want to remove your lock washers and use Loctite instead. Keep the flat washers, but the helical/split-ring washers can actually accelerate loosening! o_O