Hello from Kerry, Ireland

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

WildAtlanticWay
Year: NA
Color: NA

Hello from Kerry, Ireland

Post by WildAtlanticWay »

Hello.

My name is Steve, I live near Tralee in Ireland.
At 50 I'm coming back to bikes - I sold my much loved Triumph T375 9 years ago after 11 years of ownership.
After looking at alternatives a new PCX125 seems to fit my plan to tour Ireland more cheaply and sedately.
I also own a 1980 XR200 and a 2008 Zip50RS.

I don't have a PCX yet, spring.. that's my plan.

SG
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Hello from Kerry, Ireland

Post by Mel46 »

Welcome to the forum. I think you will find that the little PCX has a big heart and is more than adequate for country roads and inner city riding.

If, after you get your little precious, you decide that the seat is not as comfortable as you would like for it to be, there are not only complete replacement seats on the market, but modifying it yourself is not that difficult. There are also plenty of add-on parts available, such as a taller windscreen. I ride with the tallest one available but others prefer the one that is mid-height. It is all up to you.

Once again, welcome to the forum.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WildAtlanticWay
Year: NA
Color: NA

Post by WildAtlanticWay »

Thanks for the welcome. This Youtube clip has me quite inspired. https://youtu.be/qfGfp3AG9sw
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Slainte! ;)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

That's a funky lookin video link. Are you sure it's good? Sorry I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. You also need to update your profile for location etc. . .. Just letting us know in the text box will be forgotten quickly and you may miss out on info from others in your area that could be helpful. We have a lot of contributors from your side of the pond. :geek:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

WildAtlanticWay wrote:Hello.

My name is Steve, I live near Tralee in Ireland.
At 50 I'm coming back to bikes - I sold my much loved Triumph T375 9 years ago after 11 years of ownership.
After looking at alternatives a new PCX125 seems to fit my plan to tour Ireland more cheaply and sedately.
I also own a 1980 XR200 and a 2008 Zip50RS.

I don't have a PCX yet, spring.. that's my plan.

SG
The PCX is great little bike and doubt you will have any regrets after riding it. However if you are planning long touring stints in the country going up and down hills especially in the wind I think you will find a Forza size bike a little better suited for that situation. The PCX is a great cost efficient way of getting around and very nimble in the city streets but I think if your finances are up to it seek a little bigger ride, especially if you are going up and down hills at speed. The Forza is a bit more comfy and has the dexterity similar to a PCX , but it won't lag on the long hills.Although many will probably disagree.Good luck on your new endeavor...
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome aboard SG, glad you took the leap to join us! Congrats on getting back in the saddle again!
Members are making some good points here, you'll find them a helpful lot!

Hmm, My thinking, is that You're thinking, Come Spring you'll be sitting on a PCX125 taking it for a test spin --> up hills and dales. Feeling the power...Or lack there of. Perhaps your travels are on (mainly) flat terrain, then the PCX is fine. If not and your bodily weight is up a few lbs :D perhaps the PCX's older brother, Forza is the one for you. Hop on one and do the same test spin!
"Proof is in the pudding" :D

One more word before I travel on, please do us all a favor. Enter your location in your profile. Afterwards, we'll be able to glance to the left of your posts and "see" where you stand.
It truly matters especially come Spring when you'll be riding in with your New Stallion ;)
Just follow my easy directions below to get the job done.
Thanks SG.
~ Happy Holidays ~
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

I dearly love the PCX 150. I've owned one for 4 years, putting 16000 miles on it in that time. It is happiest, in its stock condition, at 45 mph. It can do 60 to 65 all stops pulled but who wants to go full throttle on a regular basis? If you intend doing a lot of 60 mile an hour stints, then you should look into a 250cc bike at least. The Forza, which is somewhat bigger than that, fills the bill nicely, so I'm told. It is a Honda and that is already saying a lot.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think, since you are in Ireland, that you are probably restricted in the engine size that you are allowed to ride. That being said, if 125cc is your limit you will be quite happy with the PCX. I don't think they sell the 150cc model there, like they do in the United States. However, there have been owners here who have installed a Big Bore Kitchen (BBK) in their little 125cc PCX and turned it into a little rocket at 170cc's. It is always an option later on.

As for GIVI accessories, you can't go wrong with them. I have their tall windshield, their tailbox, and a tunnel bag. I haven't found a need for the saddlebags, but you may. I also swapped my variator and weights for the NCY ones, which increases my topend. I have the 150cc version, so mine can handle a lot of extra weight and goes a bit faster than a 125cc.

I think that how well you enjoy the PCX will depend on a lot of things, such as your weight, the wind factor, the steepness of the hills, and so on. It is only a 125cc bike but it puts it's little heart into giving you it's best.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers