SMAX155 Versus PCX150

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

RtyredRRer
Year: 2017
Color: White

SMAX155 Versus PCX150

Post by RtyredRRer »

I have owned several scooters in my life. When I registered for the forum, I mentioned that I owned a 2014 PCX150 for a very short time back in 2014. In 2016, I purchased an almost new 2015 Smax155 which I ended up trading for a CB500X (Which I still own).

Members of this forum may wonder how the two machines compare with regard to performance, fuel economy, build quality, etc...

When I purchased my first PCX I was very impressed with the technology, build quality, performance, and fuel economy. What I did not like was the fact that my PCX150 would not go any faster than 64 mph (GPS). At the time, I was more in need of a machine I could take on the expressway and felt that 64 mph just was not enough. The scooter I owned before the PCX was a Kymco Movie 150 and it could travel as fast on the expressway as my PCX.

I scanned youtube when I heard about the Smax155. Motorcycle editors stated that they were able to achieve 82 mph indicated in California and at least 72 mph GPS without any difficulty. When I found a Smax155 with less than 600 miles on the clock and 4 years left on an extended warranty, I snapped it up. I found the Yamaha to be extremely capable in serving the roll I had for it. I often rode with my motorcycling friends and never felt as if I was holding them back.

But, the Yamaha was not a motorcycle and I felt I needed one to ride with my Harley and Goldwing friends. I did not have the range even with 80 mpg fuel economy. That is where the CB500X came in.

Why the PCX now? The Yamaha has 13 inch wheels, a seat that forced me to sit too far forward and put my knees too close to the dash. I also did not like how large it was and how heavy it was. I did find the Yamaha motor to be a thing of beauty. Four valve heads and fuel injection, a flat floor capable of holding a 18 pack of bud when needed......

Anyway, enough on that. Bottom line is I missed my scooter for short trips along the beach on secondary roads and running errands. The PCX I just purchased was a left over 2017 model that was priced such that the 2018 Kymco Like 150i I was waiting to see just did not seem to matter...........
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Re: SMAX155 Versus PCX150

Post by 87112 »

I test rode the SMAX before I got a PCX 125. The handling of the SMAX was quite different to me. Its had a high center for gravity and just more sluggish handling no matter the situation. The motor is revvy, less torque than the PCX. I found the PCX to be much more fun. I rode a SMAX on the freeway and I would in no way ride in any lane except the slow lane on that and you would be at the mercy of tailgaters cause there was no extra power to fly away from those pests. I really don't think the PCX or SMAX are great hwy/freeway ride.

I am thinking of adding the PCX150 to the garage as well as keeping the SYM HD200. Its simply way too fun to not buy a used one for a bargain price. In face the PCX to me looking back is as fun as any sportbike or 2 wheel thing out there.
:geek:
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

RtyredRRer wrote:I have owned several scooters in my life. When I registered for the forum, I mentioned that I owned a 2014 PCX150 for a very short time back in 2014. In 2016, I purchased an almost new 2015 Smax155 which I ended up trading for a CB500X (Which I still own).

Members of this forum may wonder how the two machines compare with regard to performance, fuel economy, build quality, etc...

When I purchased my first PCX I was very impressed with the technology, build quality, performance, and fuel economy. What I did not like was the fact that my PCX150 would not go any faster than 64 mph (GPS). At the time, I was more in need of a machine I could take on the expressway and felt that 64 mph just was not enough. The scooter I owned before the PCX was a Kymco Movie 150 and it could travel as fast on the expressway as my PCX.

I scanned youtube when I heard about the Smax155. Motorcycle editors stated that they were able to achieve 82 mph indicated in California and at least 72 mph GPS without any difficulty. When I found a Smax155 with less than 600 miles on the clock and 4 years left on an extended warranty, I snapped it up. I found the Yamaha to be extremely capable in serving the roll I had for it. I often rode with my motorcycling friends and never felt as if I was holding them back.

But, the Yamaha was not a motorcycle and I felt I needed one to ride with my Harley and Goldwing friends. I did not have the range even with 80 mpg fuel economy. That is where the CB500X came in.

Why the PCX now? The Yamaha has 13 inch wheels, a seat that forced me to sit too far forward and put my knees too close to the dash. I also did not like how large it was and how heavy it was. I did find the Yamaha motor to be a thing of beauty. Four valve heads and fuel injection, a flat floor capable of holding a 18 pack of bud when needed......

Anyway, enough on that. Bottom line is I missed my scooter for short trips along the beach on secondary roads and running errands. The PCX I just purchased was a left over 2017 model that was priced such that the 2018 Kymco Like 150i I was waiting to see just did not seem to matter...........
How about a little more on your CB500X? !
FISH
RtyredRRer
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by RtyredRRer »

Fish asked me for more information about the CB500X. I purchased it from the RideNow store in Jacksonville, Florida. It was a left over 2016. It is flat black in color and I have put about 2000 miles on the clock since I purchased it a few months back.

The CB500X is an adventure styled motorcycle with a fuel injected 471cc twin cylinder motor that develops around 46 - 48 BHP. It has a six speed transmission and a very comfortable upright riding position.

As I stated earlier, it is an adventure styled motorcycle. You can ride it on fire roads and hard packed dirt or gravel without too much concern. Real adventure riders will need to modify it for true off road riding. I bought it because I wanted a comfortable motorcycle that had a good cruising range and would not cost me an arm and a leg to purchase or operate.

So far, the CB500X fits my requirements perfectly. It is easy to clean, gets great mileage, it freeway worthy, has a great seat (for a stock motorcycle) is serenely quiet (I am too old to want to hear all that noise) and is relatively easy for DIY maintenance.

If you want to know anything else, post your questions........
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

A visual: 2017 Honda CB500X Flat Black w/rider who appears almost upright. Bit of a forward lean. Feet slightly back too. Looks comfy 8) Ride on. Enjoy RtyredRRer!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (116.1 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You