Gas Tank

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

GlassMan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: White

Gas Tank

Post by GlassMan »

Well....I'm not gonna go into how it happened but a bunch of cat food got dumped into my gas tank ( grandkids are SO much fun) ! Looks like i'm gonna have to remove the gas tank and clean it out. Any HOW TO's out there?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: Gas Tank

Post by GeorgeSK »

Children should be filleted, and not heard.

Looking at my '13 manual, you are going in pretty deep. Check out http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2630 for an idea of where you are headed. You probably need the manual for your year unless you are somewhat familiar with how the plastics come off. Good luck.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Sorry, but I just can't help myself ..... it should run purrrrfect now. :roll: :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

That is a real bummer.

Children (including myself a long time ago. . .etched my father's name on his car trunk with a rock and couldn't wait to show him how well I learned to spell :roll: ) do stupid things growing up. It's tough to be understanding but one must and lead them to greener pastures.

If you don't already have the Service Manual then now is probably a good time to get one. It's not a chore I would look forward to doing but the upside is you'll gain a much better insight as to the disassembly and reassembly of the scoot to remove and purge the tank. Probably check or replace any lines all the way to the fuel injection as well.

After all is said and done you will become one of the "all knowing" elite on this forum and be able to share your expertise with others . . . perhaps someone who drops a set of keys into the tank. ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You do realize that this is not a laughing matter, I hope. Imagine how their parents would feel if they deliberately put cat food in the gas tank of their family car.
Next question: How!!!???? My wife has a time getting the gas cap off after the cover is flipped up. Also, the key had to be in the ignition in order to flip up the cover. Then someone would have had to go in the house to get the cat food. That doesn't sound like a spur of the moment childhood thing.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

As a child, I remember my Uncle being furious telling the family what had recently happened:
Someone from work dropped a golf ball in his '59 T-Bird's gas tank. Rubber bands were afloat, clogging and choking the lines. The car wouldn't start.
He was the head mechanic at Pan Am Airlines and an avid golfer. He flew free all over the globe to play in tournaments. He left work at midnight and some arse with attitude did the nasty. He wanted back at my Uncle. What a job that was for my Unc to repair and clean up!
That dude got what was coming to him. He got fired. By my Uncle 8)

"How Can People Be So Heartless, How Can People Be So Cruel.....easy" :(
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

That's a catastrophe. Oh kids...
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Lie scooter on its side then cut in through the bottom with a holesaw then pressure wash out then weld up the hole.
Sorted....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GlassMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GlassMan »

Well Mel...i popped open the gas tank so i could add some Stabil to the gas to winterize it...went into the house to get it and when i returned......Da Deed was Done! ( we keep a big bag of dry cat food in the garage ) But anyway.... it took the better part of a day but i got it tore down...cleaned out...and back together. What a pain in the buttocks!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

On the bright side, any trepidation you may have had about pulling the plastics is now behind you.

Glad to hear you were able to fix it yourself. "The man" would have charged you a metric fortune.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

looks like the lesson here is don't mess with your bike while the grandkids are visiting. I know that they are curious, but when it comes to machines they could be quite destructive, depending on their age. At some point in life kids can reach a point where supervision is a must. Watch Youtube and you will see what I mean.

I am glad that you were able to fix the problem without having to go to the shop, but tearing your bike down when you didn't want was a bummer.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers