Parking Brake Comes in Handy

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Parking Brake Comes in Handy

Post by PCX150Rider »

Today was one of those days when I was glad that Honda decided to include a Parking Brake on my PCX.

It's been really gusty and windy all day and just didn't feel confident leaving it parked on the center or side stand only.

Riding was a bit of a challenge. Actually used "English" so-to-speak with my helmet to cut through the side winds with less adverse effect on the overall line of travel. Wish I had a "Go Pro". It would have made an interesting vid.

That being said it was a day like this in my area. 8)
P1010045a.jpg
P1010045a.jpg (196.5 KiB) Viewed 627 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Emergency Brake Comes in Handy

Post by Mel46 »

I haven't used my emergency brake for quite some time. I almost did today though. We decided to take the bikes out for a short run before putting them in the basement for the winter. Of course, if we get some nice days during winter then we can easily take them back out.
However, if today is any indication of what is coming, those bikes are not going anywhere. It is 50° F, with a 15 mph wind, gusting to 20 mph. I've been down South too long, I guess. We put our Tourmaster coats on, insulated underwear, and the usual gloves and boots, and my 3/4 helmet. My hands were cold! I should have worn my winter gloves. My neck was cold. My chin was cold. Brrrr!! How do you winter riders do it?!

When we returned home I put my bike on its side stand while I pulled off my helmet, gloves, etc. A gust of wind started moving the bike backwards! I thought about that emergency brake, but then I worried that it might get pushed over. I rolled it into a protected area and put it on the center stand. Much safer that way. I had to put my wife's bike in the same place so it would be safe while we unlocked the gate and opened the basement door. That wind is rough on a little scooter, but the ride was great! Just a little more warmth and I could have ridden longer....and my wife loved it too! Maybe she won't ask me to sell them for a little longer now. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: Parking Brake Comes in Handy

Post by GeorgeSK »

If the Admiral had a reasonably nice ride in the cold, there is hope that she will be back into it for next season. Good luck!
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Re: Parking Brake Comes in Handy

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

Hey Mel, glad she's out riding!

Squirrel and I went out Sunday for 1/2 hour in 30F & 12MPH winds. SHE was fine, - - > I <-- should have dressed warmer.

We started making adjustments when it started to get cold, and as things can be improved upon we do so, and before you know it you're riding in temps 12 degrees colder and enjoying it more due to comfort.
WI_Hedgehog