PCX 150 vs Nmax 155

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Loht Bai
Year: 2015
Color: Grey

PCX 150 vs Nmax 155

Post by Loht Bai »

When riding 2 up for 35 miles round trip on bumpy, pot holed country roads, how does the ride quality of the PCX 150 compare to that of the Nmax 155?

In another comparison between the two scooters, how would they compare if we don't factor in the rear disc brake and ABS advantage of the Nmax but add a pair of YSS-G Sport shocks (and upgrade tires) on the PCX?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: PCX 150 vs Nmax 155

Post by gn2 »

I doubt there will be anything much to choose between them, but people with experience of both will be in very short supply on this forum because to the best of my knowledge there are no english speaking countries where both scooters are sold.
If you look for them there are comparison reviews of the 125 versions though.

But I can tell you right now that any small wheel auto scooter is no good for bumpy pot-holed roads
You want big wheels and long travel suspension.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

I agree with the comment about small wheels. I have to say I have the small wheel scooter bug. I think about the Vespa 300 GTS very very often. I test rode a 17 GTS year one and LOVED the engine and everything about it from the steel frame to how expensive the materials felt. The only thing I did not like was the handling, maybe I am just not used to small wheels since my HD200 has 16 inch wheels but I felt the handling was worse than the PCX and HD200. It did not turn in as sharp or as confident as either of those 2 scooters. Since I was on a test ride and not wanting any risks, I avoided any pothole.
:geek:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

87112 wrote:I agree with the comment about small wheels. I have to say I have the small wheel scooter bug. I think about the Vespa 300 GTS very very often. I test rode a 17 GTS year one and LOVED the engine and everything about it from the steel frame to how expensive the materials felt. The only thing I did not like was the handling, maybe I am just not used to small wheels since my HD200 has 16 inch wheels but I felt the handling was worse than the PCX and HD200. It did not turn in as sharp or as confident as either of those 2 scooters. Since I was on a test ride and not wanting any risks, I avoided any pothole.

I so want a Vespa but the rest of my family have watched Dodgeball so that's out.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I had the opportunity to ride with a group of Vespa owners, and frankly, I did not like the Vespa, from the way the rider had to sit to the small wheels and low suspension. The PCX handled better and felt closer to a motorcycle. I have to admit though that I had replaced the rear shocks on my PCX. Still, to each their own.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Loht Bai

Post by Loht Bai »

gn2 wrote:I doubt there will be anything much to choose between them, but people with experience of both will be in very short supply on this forum because to the best of my knowledge there are no english speaking countries where both scooters are sold.
If you look for them there are comparison reviews of the 125 versions though.

But I can tell you right now that any small wheel auto scooter is no good for bumpy pot-holed roads
You want big wheels and long travel suspension.
I would have thought that this Nmax would be more widely distributed since it's basically a Yamaha clone version of the PCX:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b7nn2K1wNM
Besides the above mentioned differences, the Nmax has 13" wheels F/R (110/70-13, 130/70-13).
Are there larger sized tires (wider tread) that perform well on the PCX?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The Nmax is widely available, but in 125 form.
AFAIK the 155 is not available in Europe or North America.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Loht Bai

Post by Loht Bai »

After looking at several of those 125cc Nmax - PCX comparison reviews, it seems as though the few differences are rather minor in distinction. Basically, Nmax's stiffer frame and suspension produces a more sportier-type ride coupled with somewhat better braking while the PCX produces the more comfortable & smoother type ride. One review in particular, reamed the Nmax 'a new one' for the harsh ride its overall light weight on its 13" wheels exhibited on the cobbled streets of Lisbon ..... ouch!

PCX wins out IMHO.

I like Mel46 upgrades. For those of us that don't have the luxury of riding on totally smooth pavement, it's necessary to upgrade the suspension (F & R), tires (and seat if app.) in order to obtain the best comfort and performance from our scooters.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Loht Bai wrote:One review in particular, reamed the Nmax 'a new one'
Very important not to pay too much attention to motorbike journalists opinions of scooters.
Most UK bike journalists just don't get scooters at all and any criticism is often of the scooter format rather than of the specific model.

There's really not much to pick between the Nmax and the PCX and the PCX is not at all suited to two up touring on rough potholed roads.
I know this because I've done 18,000 miles on one rather than a few miles before a slap up dinner at a press launch. :lol: